It was 44 years ago today that guitar playing began to change forever...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by brain21, May 12, 2011.

1. fenderball

fenderball Supporting Member

Mike Bloomfield On Hendrix

From Guitar Player Magazine September 1975

THE FIRST TIME I SAW Jimi play he was Jimmy James with the Blue Flames. I was performing with Paul Butterfield, and I was the hot shot guitarist on the block - I thought I was it. I'd never heard of Hendrix. Then someone said, "You got to see the guitar player with John Hammond." I was at the Cafe Au Go Go and he was at the Nite Owl or the Cafe Wha? I went right across the street and saw him. Hendrix knew who I was, and that day, in front of my eyes, he burned me to death. I didn't even get my guitar out. H bombs were going off, guided missiles were flying - I can't tell you the sounds he was getting out of his instrument. He was getting every sound I was ever to hear him get right there in that room with a Stratocaster, a Twin (amplifier), a Maestro fuzz, and that was all - he was doing it mainly through extreme volume. How he did this, I wish I understood. He just got right up in my face with that axe, and I didn't even want to pick up a guitar for the next year.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  2. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

a friend of a friend who was a teenaged working musician when hendrix exploded puts it this way....

before hendrix = black and white.

after hendrix = color.

he said all of the sudden you looked at the instrument completely differently... kinda like when the wizard of oz went from b/w to color...

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  3. lousyatit

lousyatit Supporting Member

Great analogy.

4. skydawg

skydawg Member

It most certainly must have blown minds in 67. There was nobody then or since like Jimi Hendrix...nobody.

5. Ephi82

Ephi82 Member

There's no way of knowing is there?

I have to disagree on musical influences by Beatles on Hendrix. don't you think, just maybe, that Revolver and Sgt Pepper had some influence over Hendrix's approach in the studio?

6. cram

cram Member

I don't care to weigh in on how big of an impact it was as I'm not old enough to have been there. What I have been affected by - at a very early time in my playing was learning the lines in Red House. It is a perfect example of lead guitar lines singing along with the vocal line and *that* song taught me how to listen a bit more for such things.

Maybe it's not the most amazing tune on the release, but when I think of Experienced, that is the tune I hear first in my head.

7. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Well, seeing as Are You Experienced was released before Sgt Pepper, and was being recorded around the same time as Revolver, I'd have to say NO.

If anything, Revolver and Sgt Pepper owe a huge debt to Pet Sounds, which was released before both of those Beatles albums.

Eddie Kramer and George Martin both must have listened to Brian Wilson as far as expanding what can be done in a recording studio.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  8. Dave2512

Dave2512 Member

Hendrix was a Beatles fan but I don't think they influenced what he did musically. His recordings sound as experimental as they do because it was an extension of his guitar playing. It was his ideas and playing that pushed those around him in the direction the recordings went.

9. lhallam

lhallam Member

In 1967 Frank Zappa had released "Absolutely Free" and "Lumpy Gravy". While they never were the hits mentioned in this thread they were incredibly unique rock(?) albums and ahead of their time.

10. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

And that Shakespeare... just one cliche after another!

11. Scafeets

Scafeets Member

I remember the day I first heard the Experienced LP -- I was a 17 year-old and, being a lead guitarist in a band, I was naturally full of myself. Since I started playing and taking formal lessons when I was 9, I had an appreciation for technique, studying the recordings of the jazz and classical greats alongside Cropper, Isley, Clapton, Beck and Peter Green.
    So, in my own adolescent brain, I figured it was just a matter of time before I mastered the licks and nuances I heard from mere rock and R&B players.
    Hendrix changed all that.
    From the first needle-drop on Purple Haze, to the last B-side track (Are You Experienced– there were no “bonus tracks" in 1967) I heard stuff that will take the rest of my lifetime to figure out. It was the first of a hundred revelations that note selection, scale and riff memorization, and muscle-memory technique would mean nothing if I didn’t develop my own style and learn to SAY something.
    Hendrix is the Charlie Parker of the guitar - a total game-changer who illustrated that we may all play the same notes; but some are destined to do it in ways that will inspire others to move beyond riffage.

12. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

Jimi changed the guitar world.. I was a 14 year old and my older sister bought the Are You Experienced album home one day.. She lost interest, but I appropriated the album for myself, and I wore it out. It changed my view of guitar forever...

Jimi was certainly influenced by the blues, jazz, soul, and rock artists who came before him, but he used the guitar in ways that others never had. He was a very important guitar innovator, and he changed the genre of electric guitar playing.

13. Johns7022

Johns7022 Senior Member

Watching Jimi doing that video of Wild Thing...kinda rough...hard to see it coming off today...but back in the day, when everyone was messed up at the the concerts...different place and time....

Sorry I missed it, different kinda feel, different time......where I imagine people were just as much interested in what was going on in the crowd as on the stage....

14. gmann

gmann Member

Those were great LP's to be sure but they didn't have the mass appeal that Hendrix did nor did those records have the affect Are You Experienced did. Back in my hometown of Fayetteville, NC, there was this head shop up the road called Yellow Submarine. A couple of hippies ran it and it was a cool place for a 13 year old (me) to hang out. They had all the cool posters of the day and were always burning incense which I liked and the place smelled of Patchouille oil. Anyway, I go there one Sat. and when I get inside both of these guys are lookin' at me with this really weird grin on their faces. They were stoned but I didn't know it att. Anyway, they said, Are You Experienced, or have you ever been experienced? Well, we have. I didn't know what they were talkin' about which was nothing new, I hardly ever knew what they were talkin' about. They proceed to put this record on and as soon as the music started I was never really the same. Everything fm the record cover to the guitar sounds I had never heard before just totally blew my mind and I was straight! Things were very different after this. I know alot of guys that are younger are probably thinking yeah it's cool and all but it's not all that. Well, you had to be there. At that time there was nothing like it at all anywhere. It's really hard to describe. It's like most everyone likes The Beatles and their music but to experience it in the '60's in the context of the times was really something. Hendrix was like that. Before him there was just guitar playing. To be sure there was good guitar playing but this was different and it really did change things.

15. jgyn

jgyn Member

Hendrix influenced musicians that were not guitar players, like Miles Davis, Sly Stone, etc.. IMHO, that's why I consider him more influential than any other guitar player.

16. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

I think the thing that is most impressive about AYE is that it was his debut album. Right outta the starting gate, and kaboom...

17. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

He was my hero from the time that album came out. My older sister got it, and I'd sit in the living room, listening to it on my parents stereo over and over and over, completely transported. I didn't go to my first concert till a few years later after I'd turned 13. It was Band Gypsies at the Fillmore, New Years Eve day (the second night of shows). What I remember from that night most clearly was the first note I ever heard at a concert. It was before the show started. I remember Hendrix was wearing all white, flowing sort of clothes, he hit a low E, just tuning up or getting his sound. That low, rich beautiful sound went right through me, I'll never forget it.

18. Cottage

Cottage Member

I agree, and don't forget what Beck was doing with the Yardbirds. Its been said that Hendrix badly wanted to meet those guys when he arrived in England.

19. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I first heard Jimi in the early '80s, when I was a young teen feasting on classic rock. He was always in a different place, for me, from all of the other greats. Ironically, I didn't hear any of the Butterfield/Clapton/Bloomfield stuff until I was in college, in the late '80s. And I only found out about them because they played with Muddy Waters, whom I'd already discovered, along with Robert Johnson, Son House, the 3 Kings...so, honestly, those records left me cold. Yeah, I liked the sound of the guitar, but I didn't much care for what it was (or wasn't) saying. They struck me as heavier iterations of their musical forbears. But I never stopped listening to Hendrix. Still haven't -- and I still find him every bit as mesmerizing and inspirational as the first time I head him almost thirty years ago.

20. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I was a sophomore in High School when Are You Experienced came out in the states. I do remember what was probably the first time I heard Purple Haze, I was in a store like Kresge's or maybe a drugstore buying some candy or something and I heard it playing over their PA, I guess they were piping in some radio station. I remember thinking, "Who is that?? WTF is this music? I'm going to have to find out!" Within a day or two I learned more about the Jimi Hendrix Experienced and heard Foxy Lady...and that was it. My mind was blown and I knew there was something special going on with this band.

I loved the Doors, Cream and Vanilla Fudge, Butterfield and many of the other bands that were coming out but the JHE really stood out to me. He's been my favorite rock guitarist since then. He altered the vocabulary of the rock guitarist probably more than anyone else. He incorporated a variety of different influences into something really original and unique for the time.