It was like watching "Judas Priest" rather than Judas Priest

MissingSomethin

Wow. By the end of the show we were downright bummed out. The show was professional and tight, totally unassailable as far as "quality of performance" goes, but holy ****, it was like watching "Judas Priest" rather than Judas Priest. It was as if Madame Tussaud's wax figures were performing. Yeah, it was a cross between watching a video game with JP in it and "Judas Priest Rocks Vegas".

The band we saw in 2010 celebrating the thirty year mark since "British Steel" was released, in which they played the entire album through, was NOT the band we saw last night. What we witnessed was an "incredibly lifelike" facsimile of the entity known as JP. Even "Victim Of Changes" was rote and by-the-numbers.

The final conclusion we came to after the sense of bewilderment wore off a bit: "Thank God for Bassnectar!".

Craig Allen

You must be MissingSomethin, then. I saw them in Brooklyn and they were great. Of course the show is rote and by-the-numbers - it always has been for them (and many other bands as well).

By the way, Scott Travis might be a robot.

Jimmy B

Platinum Supporting Member
I saw Priest last week in Montreal and they put on a great show. Halford isn't as mobile as he used to be but his voice has aged very well and the band played great, as always. Richie is a huge addition to the band and has given them a shot in the arm. This was my tenth Priest show and I have never left disappointed. True professionals in every sense of the word.

I didn't buy my ticket expecting to see the band I first saw in 1984.

Crowder

Dang Twangler
I think if I had seen Judas Priest a handful times, it would be pretty boring to see them again. Imagine how boring it must be for *them* to do the same show for all these years. The only way they'll stop is if people quit buying tickets.

I honestly feel sorry for them. They became successful playing good music and selling an image that they may have really bought into at one time 40 years ago. How many people in their 60's are still really fired up about the stuff they loved in their 20's? Especially if that stuff is sort of an exaggerated parody? I'm not saying they were phony, but I wonder if they ever really lived the image they sold as entertainers. Even if they were all-in back then, you'd have to give them a break for being less than totally committed a generation later.

But hey, if people are still coming to the shows, good on them for putting it out there.

Heinz57Pep

I honestly feel sorry for them.
Between this and the guy who used to nail "War Pigs" in dive bars blasting the Foo Fighters' version on Letterman, we're getting some priceless commentary on here of late. Bravo TGP!

Crowder

Dang Twangler
Between this and the guy who used to nail "War Pigs" in dive bars blasting the Foo Fighters' version on Letterman, we're getting some priceless commentary on here of late. Bravo TGP!
Ha. Whatever, man. I feel sorry for anyone who has to live a Groundhog Day life.

Ides of March

I've never seen them but I would like to. At this point in their life your paying for the name pretty much. And Halfords younger day vocal style is almost impossible to reach for him now. But they still are a good band. Now Maiden still kicks ass and puts on a great show in my opinion at this stage in their life. No complaints with them.

Crowder

Dang Twangler
I'm saying if you're 65 and have to dress up like a San Francisco biker and play the same songs every night (lest you disappoint your fans, who have refused to allow you to progress your craft beyond your earliest output, lest they refuse to listen)...then yes, you're probably bored as crap, and I feel for you.

Heinz57Pep

I'm saying if you're 65 and have to dress up like a San Francisco biker and play the same songs every night (lest you disappoint your fans, who have refused to allow you to progress your craft beyond your earliest output, lest they refuse to listen)...then yes, you're probably bored as crap, and I feel for you.
Does the same go for Angus Young and the schoolboy schtick?

Craig Allen

You don't like Priest, don't go to the show. They are a great band, and nothing anyone here who "feels sorry for them" can say here will change that.

mute

Same thing as the OP reports happened to me when I saw Lynyrd Skynyrd a year or two (or three?) ago.
(Never saw them before and I am not a fan, but girlfriend wanted to see them.)
Also know there is only 1 original member left, but it was like watching a Las Vegas show band (if there is such a thing).
Completely by the numbers, choreographed and perfectly played, bland and antiseptic to such a degree that I was amused and fasinated that it was even possible to do this.

Wow. By the end of the show we were downright bummed out. The show was professional and tight, totally unassailable as far as "quality of performance" goes, but holy ****, it was like watching "Judas Priest" rather than Judas Priest. It was as if Madame Tussaud's wax figures were performing. Yeah, it was a cross between watching a video game with JP in it and "Judas Priest Rocks Vegas".

The band we saw in 2010 celebrating the thirty year mark since "British Steel" was released, in which they played the entire album through, was NOT the band we saw last night. What we witnessed was an "incredibly lifelike" facsimile of the entity known as JP. Even "Victim Of Changes" was rote and by-the-numbers.

The final conclusion we came to after the sense of bewilderment wore off a bit: "Thank God for Bassnectar!".

These bands are old as dirt... Most ofthem can still play but in terms of a show and all of the other stuff that goes into it, its not realistic to expect what you got 30 years ago