It was the third of September

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by mango, Sep 3, 2019.

1. mango

mango Member

2. Gig Young

Gig Young Orson Wells; Mercury Theater 1935 Silver Supporting Member

Now,
    Papa was a mobile drone

3. viper

viper Member

a day I'll always remember...

4. 8raw

8raw Member

well done!

5. GulfportBound

GulfportBound Member

You really should hear the complete version, though . . .

. . . even though the Temptations themselves weren't thrilled anymore at having become what they considered lab rats for Norman Whitfield's musical experiments. Or, that singer Dennis Edwards
    didn't like "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone"---the "third of September" dating of the protagonist's death hit a little too close to home, since his own father's death happened on the third of a month. (The
    story is that Whitfield made Edwards go through too many takes until he got the angriest-sounding rasp he thought possible for Edwards, whose own natural rasp could sound angry enough with
    the right lyric.)

They may not have loved the recording, but "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone" remains a harrowing masterpiece. Which was, by the way, the name of the next Temptations album (Masterpiece) and its
    title track. And it led to the end of the group's relationship with Whitfield, who audaciously put his production credit on the front of the album jacket (in even larger type than All Directions). . .
    when the Temptations and others thought their albums were already sounding more like Norman Whitfield albums with them as the hired voices. Though, personally, I still think All Directions
    (highlighted by "Papa") and Masterpiece are two of the Temptations' best albums.

Baxtercat and Gig Young like this.
  6. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

Probably my favorite Temptations song.

That bass line in the intro pulls me right in!

Gig Young likes this.