It'll be a great weekend, for Suhr...

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by phoenix 7, Feb 13, 2008.

1. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

with these babies on the way....

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

It was a tough decision, but after reading all the great comments about Suhr Classic T's on the "boutique Tele" thread I recently posted, I thought I'd give these a try. They'll arrive on Friday -- just in time for a most excellent weekend. I'll probably keep the pick of the litter and send the other two back. :D

3. ford

ford Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Party at Phoenix's this weekend! :D

Great looking guitars..... I bet 2 end up staying...ha.

rock

bford

4. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I like the blue thinline w/ the shorty guard.

5. Dave

Dave Member

Wow, it must be nice to be you right now. :D

I'm a big fan of John's work, but his Ts are really something special IMO. I took delivery of my second T recently and it's just amazing.

Those all looks great. Have fun auditioning them.

6. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

Thanks, guys. I just had to let go of a really beautiful guitar, and picking out one of these will definitely help to take the edge off.

7. XKnight

XKnight Member

Congrats! You may even decide to keep all three.

8. Tramp

Tramp Gold Supporting Member

Phoenix,
    These will take the edge off the loss of the I-35 for sure! I'm moving toward spec-ing out a Suhr T for myself--blackguard like your middle one--and am very eager to hear what works for you (and not) with each guitar. Enjoy!
    Peter

9. nsps

nsps Member

I like the Thinline too. What are the specs on it?

10. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

It's an alder top, with "60's C Vintage standard" neck shape, 9"-12" radius, medium frets, 1.65" nut, Neck Pickup: JST SSV, Bridge Pickup: JST Classic T Bridge, Seafoam Green finish. FWIW, the salesman was especially impressed with this guitar too.

Thanks for the posts. I'll definitely post a review of these axes. :D

11. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

Suhr definately builds an incredible Classic T.

Can't wait to here the reviews of these beauties!

12. mbrown3

mbrown3 Member

100% agreed. Suhr makes unbelievable T guitars.

Totally off topic, the actual "deep thought" from your signature is slightly different: "It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man." Doesn't really have anything to do with anything, just thought you might want to know. Jack Handy is hilarious!

13. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

Well, I’ve spent a couple days with these 3 Suhr Classic T's now -- I've been having a really fun tele orgy here! I think I’ll be keeping this one (more below):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

While I’m partial to the more traditional looks of the ‘burst and the blackguard and secretly wanted to like one of those solidbodies more, I like the tones of the thinline just a little bit better. It wasn’t an easy choice because all three Classic T’s are very sweet. I’m pretty impressed by the consistency of the quality among them. The workmanship is absolutely flawless on all three, they all play beautifully and they all sound really great. It's been really interesting comparing the sound of the alder ('burst) and the swamp ash (natural) guitars, as the woods are the only differences in their specs, so I can really focus on the sound of the different woods. As one might expect, the alder was a little bit warmer, fatter and bigger-sounding than the swamp ash. The swamp ash sounds a bit thinner and a little more clear, bright and articulate.

I think that the chambered body of the thinline and the humbucker were the deciding factors for me. The thinline’s tone is just a little more happening – a bit more lively, a bit more resonant, with a bit more of a "3D" quality to it than the solidbodies. The solidbodies sound a bit more "2D" and thinner – more of a traditional Tele tone. In fact, for that reason I wish that I could keep one of the two solidbodies as well (you guys were right!). The bridge pickup of the thinline gives a traditional Tele tone with slightly increased harmonics, perhaps due to the chambers. The middle position is definitely a very recognizable Tele sound, but it’s a little fatter and warmer (due to the humbucker) than the sweet, thinner, clean middle position tones of the solidbodies. What really set the thinline apart for me was the sound of the neck humbucker when played through the gain channel of my Shiva – WOW. It really SINGS. That humbucker will make the thinline a very versatile guitar for me.

In short, I’m very happy with this guitar. BTW - This is the second time that I've ordered several examples of one style of guitar from a faraway dealer in order to spend several days with them at home and to make sure I'm getting a really good one. Shipping of the two guitars that I'm *not* keeping will cost me a total of $120, but to me it's well worth it to get to know a few examples of these great guitars. (The guitars arrived Friday morning and I'll have them until Monday afternoon.) It's also very nice to know for sure that I got a really fine Classic T and that it's the right one for me. :D

14. XKnight

XKnight Member

Congrats on your selection. I was not aware that dealers would ship multiple guitars to your house and let you hold on to them for a weekend to make your decision. I think that's a great way to buy a guitar with no obligation. However, it did start me wondering how often some of these guitars make the rounds and at what point if any the dealer discloses to future customers that a particular guitar has been shipped and tested by many hands. Also wondering if at some point the purchase price is reduced due to visible wear on the guitar.

15. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

It's a valid concern. I don't know often people do this kind of thing -- not often at all is my impression. I did pay for all three of them up front. I can say that the wear that these guitars have undergone in my hands is probably equal to or less than they would get in the store. I have had the two guitars I'm *not* keeping in my hands probably for about 1.5 hours total combined, and I won't play them much now that I've found the one I'm keeping -- that's the one I'm playing constantly. I played the other two just enough to make my decision. I know how to take care of them and they will look as perfect when the store gets them back as when they sent them out to me.

16. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Member

You could almost catch a flight to Raleigh for what you're spending in shipping. Then you could really take your pick of the litter. Just a thought.

17. XKnight

XKnight Member

I didn't mean to imply that you would return the guitars in worse condition than when you received them. I was really just wondering out loud. In my experience when guitars are shipped they take more abuse during the actual shipping process versus being played. Just the temperature and humidity changes alone are usually enough to throw the neck out of whack and require a new setup.

I guess the real question is when does a dealer no longer sell a guitar as being "new"? I believe the major online retailers like Guitar Center and Musicians Friend discount the guitars that are returned.

18. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

True. But then there's the cost of transportation around Raleigh, hotel, etc. Moreover, all of the guitars I was interested in are here with me in my apartment for the whole weekend. A bit nicer and more convenient. :)

19. ford

ford Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Edited for my lack of brain function!

rock

bford

20. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Member

Umm... I think you have the wrong dealer. Fat Sound sells a lot of cool gear, but not Suhr.