Its 2015.. question about noiseless strat pickups

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by SamBooka, Feb 9, 2015.

1. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

So just opinions here.

What are some good noiseless or hum cancelling strat pickups?

Looking for something for the bridge, passive, moderate output (I guess, more knopfler, less stevie ray).

Was looking at the Area 58s any other suggestions?

2. hotmod

hotmod Member

3. mlp-mx6

mlp-mx6 Member

4. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Supporting Member

Eric C. and Jeff B. like Fender noiseless, I'm not a fan, they lack character to me but what do I know next to those two!

5. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

buddy has a JB strat.. I have to agree with you. Kinda hotter than I want and missing the high end.

6. ylo

ylo Member

If you like the Dire Straits Knopfler sound, EMG SA pickups nail this. Oh, sorry, these are active.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  7. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

JB's sig model uses Fender noiseless, but he uses PUs wound by Suhr in his personal guitar(s).

OP, I like the DiMarzio Areas, in particular the 67 (glassy) and 61 (woody). The 58 was a little dull to my ears. I'd also look into the Ilitch system if you want a no-compromises solution.

8. Baxter Stockman

Baxter Stockman Member

Lace made the noise reducing pickups in the old Strat Plus. I've had good experiences with them and deffinetly prefer over the vintage noiseless (when boosts are excluded).

Golds have been the low output standard for a long time. Just gotta set them close to the strings and they'll sing for you.

9. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

this and this.

i think the areas are still the closest in a hum-canceler, but the ilitch stuff is really the right answer to get that last 10% that even the best stacks don't quite have.

10. MarkB71

MarkB71 Member

Anyone tried the "Fishman Fluence" pickups yet? They were reviewed in one of the mags recently and they raved about them.

Here's a link to the Fishman product page: http://www.fishman.com/products/view/fluence-single-width-pickups

They aren't "wound" pickups. They are more of a "printed circuit" design. It looks like they are active pickups, though, and I know that will turn a lot of people off.

11. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

well the active pickup turns me off.. not that I fear what I dont understand but it just seems a pita. same with the ilitch system although in principle it does seem fine, I wonder what happens when you run two pickups at once.

Unfortnately there was a set of 3 areas in kijiji 3 weeks ago.. a 57 61 and 67 , 120 for the 3 of them. :(

12. walterw

Since it's meant to use single coils all wound the same way, it cancels the same on all pickup settings. (For you "RW/RP sounds different" guys, this your answer for hum-canceling.)

You can also do tricky wiring and use RW/RP, by having the ilitch coil disconnect on combined settings and even flip its polarity for the RW/RP pickup to hum-cancel it too.

13. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

Ya know everyone likes the Dimarzio Areas and I think they are great too but I like the Fender Noiseless better. I wanna try the Paul Gilbert set...Invaders or Intruders? Somethin like that.

14. walterw

..."injectors";

they're gonna be like the hotter areas, say the heavy blues II.

15. StratoCraig

StratoCraig Member

How easy is it to install the Illitch backplate? From what I see on their website, it looks like it has about five wires that have to be soldered in different places (most of them not in the spring cavity, but I suppose as long as they all fit through the channel to the control cavity, that's no big deal).

Have you tried any of Kinman's noiseless Strat pickups?

For the Dimarzio Area series, which would you recommend to substitute for the Fender Original '57/'62 set? Also, should the Areas be used with 250k or 500k pots?

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  16. HipKitty

HipKitty Silver Supporting Member

I have a set if the Dimarzio HS-2's in my primary Strat, but wired up as single coils. Wired this way, they still are much quieter than a standard single coil. These are now close to 20 years old so the magnets have aged nicely...very vintage sounding pickups now.

17. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

18. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

thanks.. actually my fav pickups right now are SSL1 or 2 (I forget which is which) so I am trying to find the ones that come closest. I have looked at the recommendations so far in the thread but I think I am leaning towards the Areas (58 or 67)

19. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

UPDATE: so not a great deal but I got two 67 areas and a 61 for 185$ can (150$ us).
    I am putting the guitar back to stock for a while so I can compare it better to the new pickups.

Related to another thread. I had replaced the 250K pots with 500 K and the .1mF cap :dunno with a .022. I would not say that the original Tex Mex pickups are unusable with 250Ks but really really underwhelming. With 500K for both pots it is a little too bright.. I roll the tone back to 8ish and am good.

hopefully will get the pickups in next weekend!