It's 92° and we're playing outside in about an hour!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 2HBStrat, Jun 29, 2019.

1. JDutch

JDutch Member

Good practice for Hell

Jonny G likes this.
  2. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Well, the gig was basically a bust. It was at a country club and the folks had been in a golf tournament in 90+° weather all day. Then, the folks in charge planned an outdoor dance (concrete slab for dance floor). While it had cooled down a lot these people had been in the heat all day and, for the most part, hung out inside in the two bars, and I don't blame them. We had 15 or 20 people dancing, but most folks stayed inside. On top of everything there was nobody there to write our check! So, a bad night all around based on poor planning on the part of the "event planners."

yakyak likes this.
  3. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Member

That's exactly what I've been doing today, but without the beer...I was living on iced coffee (vanilla icecream, coffee, ice and cream)
    Get well soon!

MickeyJi likes this.
  4. Mayor McCheese

Mayor McCheese Member

We did some outdoor gigs in the summer for Harley dealerships a few years back where it was easily pushing 110. It’s hell.

yakyak likes this.
  5. geek-mo

geek-mo Supporting Member

6. Brooks

Brooks Member

Had one a few weeks ago, huge stage w/ shade canopy, but the idiots set it up facing the sun, so no shade! Moving the stage to the other side of the park would have made all the difference. A few dozen crowd members were all 60+ yards away hiding in the shade. Started having symptoms of heat exhaustion (nausea, dizziness, headache, weakness) by last few tunes. Insult to injury; it was a freebie benefit. Miserable. Never again.

yakyak and Elantric like this.
  7. dave k

dave k Supporting Member

I once did a gig in significant humidity and nearly ruined a $2000 Martin acoustic. Be sure you wipe everything down afterwards, and apply lemon oil if appropriate. The strings will probably be useless at that point anyway. Between the sweat and the moisture in the air, things will get dirty and tacky pretty quickly.

Elantric likes this.
  8. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I wouldn't do that type of gig uncovered, but the bulk of our gigs are outside in the spring -> falls months here. It can be pretty brutal, I usually have to change my shirt in between sets, sometimes going through 2 or even 3! Miller Lite is basically water so that works for me. All my bandmates use these fans and I'm buying one right now. I will run the power to the fan from backline, then run my AX8 off the included outlet... Perfect!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Elantric and ripgtr like this.
  9. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

Yea, 110 I'd have a problem with. We've done a bunch of outside gigs, around here, 1/2 our gigs our outside. 100, 102 or there about is ok, hot but ok. But past that, man, that is just crazy hot. But we haven't had a lot of that the last few years. Back 10 years or so ago, we had that all the time. But, it's still hot as heck, lol.

yakyak likes this.
  10. Funky54

Funky54 Member

He didn’t even seem grumpy to me..

2HBStrat likes this.
  11. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

Wide brimmed straw hats are your friend on hot summer uncovered gigs.

12. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

No reason to get grumpy from the living room. :)

Rob Taft likes this.
  13. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

I am beyond shocked that you are messing around on TGP instead of running through your mixolydian scales. Focus 2HB!!!:D

14. AprioriMark

AprioriMark Supporting Member

But... how was the bass player? Let's talk about what matters.

-Mark

15. jackson

jackson Member

4 hours, 90+•, blazing sun, no cover. I think my guitar was starting to melt.

16. teleman55

teleman55 Member

We had some of that this weekend. Last night we were inside. Thursday was outside. We had to wait out the rain, though it did cool things off. The stage had a roof but it leaked a bit. Plus thunder and lightning. Friday night was outside, 90s and real humid. But two weeks ago or so we were outside in Wisconsin right by Lake Michigan with the cold wind off the lake in our faces. It was about 48 degrees. They had heaters on the stage but they didn't do much. Me, I'll take the heat over that. But the cold didn't stop those cheeseheads from partying. They just drank more.

ripgtr and yakyak like this.
  17. GerryJ

GerryJ Member

Played once mid-afternoon, ~ 106 degree in the sun, no shade. Saxophonist tuning kept drifting as the metal expanded!

18. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Don't get me started!

19. TonePilot

TonePilot Supporting Member

Too bad they didn’t have space for you inside.

20. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

There was plenty of space inside. There are two bars and a large space where we usually play. They had a beer truck outside by the bandstand (concrete pad) and it was hardly used. Everyone was inside...they had the buffet set up inside, too!