It's 92° and we're playing outside in about an hour!

TheGuildedAge

There was plenty of space inside. There are two bars and a large space where we usually play. They had a beer truck outside by the bandstand (concrete pad) and it was hardly used. Everyone was inside...they had the buffet set up inside, too!
Get a wireless and next time you'll be the envy of all. You can even tap solos with one hand if you are at a urinal.

bsacamano

In Texas, we have a term for that 92 degrees. We call it winter. :)

I'd kill for an outside gig that was only 92. 102 is not uncommon. But not uncovered, the sun here will melt you.
Yep. We also keep these in the back of the truck at all times. Set up and take down in less than a minute.

2HBStrat

It gets better...the band leader went out there today to get our check and nobody seems to know who hired us. The Golf Pros who "booked" us say that they aren't responsible, and the guy who seemed to be in charge AT the event says he can't write a check, either, and the woman who CAN write a check doesn't know about it. Finally it gets worked out, somehow (I'm hearing about all of this second hand) BUT...we each have to fill out a W-9 BEFORE the check is written. We've played at this country club many times and never had to do so before.

We keep thinking...what if we had been an out of town band...

Oh, and I forgot to mention earlier...even though there are two bars there, the bars don't take money, only your membership card #, and then, as a member, you are billed later...which means...the band, or anyone else who isn't a member or a guest of a member, can't drink. You can't buy a beer with cash, and it's illegal, so they say, for them to GIVE us a beer. In reality not a big deal, but I usually like to have a beer or two during a four hour gig, and...we've played there a bunch and never had the problem, not that its a HUGE problem, before...

drewl

Played many gigs down the shore, just drenched in sweat chugging daquiri's for the ice.

Good times.

RupertB

Supporting Member
70-80% of our gigs are outside & in the Cape Fear area of NC.

Not uncommon for us to have several each season in the 90s. Some in full afternoon sun. :barf

Hush

I wouldn't do that type of gig uncovered, but the bulk of our gigs are outside in the spring -> falls months here. It can be pretty brutal, I usually have to change my shirt in between sets, sometimes going through 2 or even 3! Miller Lite is basically water so that works for me. All my bandmates use these fans and I'm buying one right now. I will run the power to the fan from backline, then run my AX8 off the included outlet... Perfect!

Why is a squirrel cage fan preferable to the traditional ones?

Gasp100

Supporting Member
I believe they are more powerful and more concentrated air flow, smaller / stronger /sturdier build. Also, I'm excited about the extra power outlets! 2 outdoor shows this week so we shall see how it fares!

Badstrat

Silver Supporting Member
It gets better...the band leader went out there today to get our check and nobody seems to know who hired us. The Golf Pros who "booked" us say that they aren't responsible, and the guy who seemed to be in charge AT the event says he can't write a check, either, and the woman who CAN write a check doesn't know about it. Finally it gets worked out, somehow (I'm hearing about all of this second hand) BUT...we each have to fill out a W-9 BEFORE the check is written. We've played at this country club many times and never had to do so before.

We keep thinking...what if we had been an out of town band...

Oh, and I forgot to mention earlier...even though there are two bars there, the bars don't take money, only your membership card #, and then, as a member, you are billed later...which means...the band, or anyone else who isn't a member or a guest of a member, can't drink. You can't buy a beer with cash, and it's illegal, so they say, for them to GIVE us a beer. In reality not a big deal, but I usually like to have a beer or two during a four hour gig, and...we've played there a bunch and never had the problem, not that its a HUGE problem, before...
Wow sounds like a gig you could do without. The heat (or cold) is one thing but going through all that hassle just to get paid and no beer!!

viper

Two words...

heat rash

What made it bad? It was... down there...

Peeling sweaty and sticky clothes off it? Not fun.

Trending Topics