It's a crap shoot...

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by riffmeister, Dec 20, 2005.

1. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

....ordering acoustic guitars over the net.

I'm 0/3.........tried three, returned three.

It seems I *have to* play/hear it in person to know if it "right" for me.

2. evhtone

evhtone Member

Riff, bad timing for this topic!! LOL I just received my D2H and I am waiting to open it up until it slowly adjusts to room temperature.

I hope it's a good'un.

BTW, which guitars were on the 0/3 list?

Greg

3. Gazza

Gazza Member

What have you ordered?

4. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

The single biggest gear mistake I ever made - ever - was ordering a custom Taylor. It took only a few strums out of the case to understand that here, after all the $$$ and waiting, was a total dud.

Took me a few years to fully admit it and finally sell it but I did and it was the right decision. I'll never again buy an acoustic guitar I haven't played personally first and you shouldn't either.

5. Gazza

Gazza Member

A small, small builder's guitars are okay to buy sight unseen if you have played at least one of the guitar you plan to buy prior and liked it. Production guitars are a no-no. Brings back memories of a really bad HD-28V I once bought.

6. Praline

Praline Member

I would have a hard time buying an acoustic without playing it.

The sound and feel can be so different and so inexplicable!

7. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

I am 2 for 3 with buying unplayed acoustics. Well, actually 1/2, because I don't really count my cheap Larrivee in that group because I wasn't expecting a $3000 sound out of a $500 guitar. Anyway, I bought a Breedlove over the internet, and it was the WORST "high end" acoustic I have ever owned. My $500 Larrivee blew it away. I also bought a Collings D3 from a guy privately without playing it, and it is a killer acoustic. But acoustics way more than electrics in terms of having to play them first in my opinion. I got killer deals on the acoustics, otherwise I would have definitely spent a few extra bucks and bought guitars in a store where I could test them out first.

8. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

You can say the same thing about electrics. For some reason the stakes seem to be much higher with acoustics though. I'd also never buy one w/o playing it.

9. riffmeister

true. even with small builders. I returned two Goodalls, a Jumbo and and Concert Jumbo, and about to return a Lowden F. Ironically, I had tried different examples of these models before ordering.

evhtone: Honestly, Collings guitars are remarkably consistent. If you like the sound of dreadnoughts, I have little doubt that you will be thoroghly impressed and happy with your D2H. Every single Collings dread that I have tried in stores was a knockout.

10. slipperyfingers

slipperyfingers Member

I'm waiting for the arrival of a Collings D1SB. I've never even played a Collings before...I bought it used, so if I don't bond with it, I can get back most of my money.

I bought a Breedlove also from eBay, and it had these wierd tiny places all over the sides that didn't have stain on them...but was clear-coated over the top of the imperfections (you couldn't feel them). The seller refunded all but the cost of shipping back...so that was ok.

I bought five Andersons over the net also, they were all nice guitars, but I sold all of them....except for the one. As soon as I wrapped my hand around the neck...that was it..magic. I'm hoping the Collings will be love at first strum too!

The Collings is a day late...and I'm a little nervous being close to Christmas and all. FedEx and UPS get so busy. It's coming FedEx...you guys cross your fingers too.

Happy Holidays!
    -SF

11. retro

retro Member

Never met a Collings I didn't like.

12. smoove

smoove Guest

I picked up a Breedlove C25 from Ebay and it's absolutely gorgeous and sounds great. But, when I fist got it, it showed up with a cracked top that somehow happened in shipping. Back to Breedlove it went, and it got a new top under warranty.

So long process, but it's a great guitar.

I also sold a 1979 Yairi 9-string in great condition over Ebay and the recipient was absolutely ecstatic. Good deals do happen every now and again.

13. evhtone

evhtone Member

Well, my new Collings is the second acoustic I have bought over the internet. My first was a Gibson AJ and it sounds great. Does it sound as nice as my new D2H? No. I will probably sell the Gibson now.

This D2H is incredible. I have played various Collings dreads before at the Podium and this sounds just like the ones I've played. Big bass, never muddy, balanced tonal spectrum, etc. It's a winner!

The only thing that is weird is the weight of the guitar. But it seems to resonate so well! Quite a different feel from a Santa Cruz which I also like but worry about the structural integrity being they are so light.

14. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Dude, that sucks! I've ordered 3. The 914 was outstanding from the get-go(1999). I was a little disappointed by the 614 at first, but after about 5-6 months, it opened up and as far as I'm concerned is an absolute killer live guitar. same with the 655. I've played other Taylor maples that stuck around in stores that sounded just like mine(when I first got it) in the store, and stayed on the wall for a LONG time. There was this red burst 614 at a local shop, and it was down to like $1700 or so, I played it, and by this point(~5-6 months in the shop), it sounded like my 614 at home. Shoulda pulled the trigger, cause the next time I went, it was gone...

Suck is suck though, and if your guitar didn't have it, it didn't have it.

15. Gazza

Gazza Member

Really, how much?

16. evhtone

evhtone Member

Not really sure yet. If you are interested I will give you first crack at her. To be honest I would love to keep it but you know how it goes...too mcuh music gear and not enough $$$!!! LOL

Did you see the pic of it in my "'Grasser" thread? It's the most beautiful finish I have ever seen on a USA Gibson AJ. Plus, it does sound great. I had Marty from The Podium install a bone nut and saddle and bridge pins. He also set it up and does a fine job. I asked him what he thought of the guitar and he said it was one of the "good ones" when referring to the USA AJ's.

My wife wants me to keep the AJ because it's prettier. :D

17. royd

royd Member

it is less of a crap shoot from the smaller shops where each instrument gets a bit more attention and they really stand or fall on the sound of individual guitars.
    I've purchased a number of acoustics unplayed including a custom Lowden that replaced a stolen one... couldn't be happier with it (you can hear them in the link in my sig - the older guitat in the pieces with the stonehenge graphic and the newer one in the others)

18. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

For me, the only gear I absolutely *have* to play before I buy is an acoustic guitar. I am 2/12 for keepers in that area over the net. Jamie Mintzer now owns one of the "2" to boot. :D

19. riffmeister

I am not surprised, Collings guitars are very consistent, and very awesome!

20. slipperyfingers

slipperyfingers Member

but I've got to wait a while to open it. I guess it's right at freezing here today in MD. It got here at 3:00 EST...the seller has asked me to wait six hours before I open the case....it's gonna be a long six hours.

Review to follow:

-SF