“It’s a pre-bankruptcy Gibson”

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TonePilot, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Brad8008135

Brad8008135 Member

2. Hugh_s

Hugh_s Member

I think the robot tuners are useful.

3. mikebat

mikebat Member

That is a smoking guitar. Mini HB's solve that "neck pickup is muddy" issue often had on LP's. A slightly thinner tone on teh bridge also helps in a mix, too much beef just makes a mix mid heavy and indistinguishable.

What does the mini toggle do, I read up but my mind is mushy and I did not find the functionality of it.

You know, it can also be made to be a rotary control like a good ol' LP

Plus, huge bonus for the Gold Top.

4. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

I hope you can still say that in 2 or 3 years.

As for Gibson finances threads? I'd expect them until the short term financial issues are resolved. Then things can go back to the usual Gibson quality discussions. Or not.

hunter

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  5. james...

james... Supporting Member

In Retrospect, yeah.

I still remember the days when you told someone your Gretsch was MIJ and they gave you a funny look like "???" It really wasn't that long ago when people actually suggested that MIJ Gretsches were "inferior."

They're not. They're the best guitars Gretsch has ever made. But we only know that because time has shown us.

6. Brad8008135

Brad8008135 Member

It's a 15db boost (adjust to lower levels via an internal trim pot) - demo below. I'm probably going to keep the guitar until death, so I may just replace it with a tone pot.

7. mikebat

mikebat Member

If....I wanted to do something to it, I would leave that circuit in, just replace the mini switch with a stock "looking" rotary knob, with the coil split and the boost...that is pretty powerful right on the face of the guitar.

If you paid $900 with the case for it new, consider yourself a lucky dude. I checked it out on Reverb and I did not see anything under $2500 (CND) for that same guitar. Well done, sir.

Brad8008135 and EtaCarinae like this.
  8. EtaCarinae

EtaCarinae Member

I am hoping to one day own a post forum-complaining Gibson. Some day, some day.

eldorado2001 and C-4 like this.
  9. Brad8008135

Brad8008135 Member

Yeah, it was one of those CME blowouts back when Gibson was blowing out all the 2015's at Sam Ash & CME (September?). I wasn't in the market for a Les Paul, but when I saw normal street price and compared it to $900, I said "What's the worst that could happen?"

Thanks for the rotary advice. I may consider that.

10. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    While I would like to see Gibson shut down for at least a month to get their house in order after excommunicating HJ, from a business point of view, it doesn't make sense to shut down.

However if it were to happen, the anticipation of finally seeing and trying out the new and hopefully retro-improved Gibsons would be exciting, unless the new owners only retro-improved the guitars back to the Norlin era. Oh Sh*T! What a horrible thought!

TonePilot likes this.
  11. TonePilot

TonePilot Supporting Member

That’s what I’m thinking too. Also trying to figure out when the best time would be to buy a Les Paul. If they cease production for a while, I’m guessing the market will price them higher than they are now?

12. rabbuhl

rabbuhl Member

Shhhhh. Don' tell that to my two 2010 and one 2016 LPs. Might hurt their feelings.

13. mikebat

mikebat Member

Seriously, the second tone control is really not 1/4 as useful as that boost.

PRS did the rotary dial thing for a long time before they moved to a toggle, albeit for pickup selection (which is not better that a blade or toggle, in my opinion, and I own a Gibson that originally came with a rotary)

EtaCarinae likes this.
  14. sitedrifter

sitedrifter Gold Supporting Member

We do have other topics that pop up from time to time (like every day) that might fancy you.

1. Hey, I have money burning a hole in my packet what should I buy? ( cause I don't give a sh1t about child care)
    2. What color guitar should I buy?
    3. Is my Focusrite Scarlett too red?
    4. I played my 100 watt EVH 5050 last night on 10 now I can't get the ringing out of my ears, why is that?
    5. Does a single coil sound better then a Humbucker?
    6. I normally gig with a 50 watt amp but I now want to use a 5 watt cause my drummer said he will play softer, will it work?
    7. I played 9 Les Pauls at my local Guitar (no interest in buying) and they all sound like sh1t but that squire I bought for $189 fvckin rocks!

mikebat, EtaCarinae and eldorado2001 like this.
  15. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

I get the feeling that this topic has driven out a large number of Gibson lovers and loyal Gibson fans/players from TGP because they probably just can't stand to hear the discussion any longer. So they've no doubt walked briskly out the door with their hands over their ears for the last time.

And yes, there will be people offering to sell their "pre-bankruptcy" Gibsons made from 2013 and 2018 for big money. They'll have to wedge them in behind all of the "Goodwood years" Gibsons made from 1987-2005, and the "wood scandals and secrets era" Gibsons made from 2006 to 2012.

16. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Silver Supporting Member

Don't you just hate when your mind forces you to read threads about subjects that you really have had enough of.... !

17. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Afraid this post should be much longer.

hunter

sitedrifter likes this.