It's B.B. King's 94 Birthday! Anyone seen him in live before?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by ChaChaCha, Sep 16, 2019.

1. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

Yes, first saw him live here in Madison in the late ‘70s, local legend Luther Allison opened the show at a small but popular venue for the college crowd.

By the mid-eighties I was living in St Louis and saw him there a couple times playing to a much different crowd as someone above described so well. I swear that Twin Reverb was dancing across the floor. He rocked it hard and the audience was fantastic.

2. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

I saw BB with Buddy Guy and Tommy Castro, a "Blues Festival." BB was the King, Tommy played the guitar, Buddy played the audience. Someone gave me free tickets twenty years after I went to college so I called up my college roommate (who was also my band mate) and we two guitarists went. BB Turned out to be an absolute hero to my roommate so it was fun.

Bob

3. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

Saw him once in '89 at Virginia Tech and again in 2013 with Peter Frampton. He was great in '89 but really not doing well at the show I saw with Frampton. He had really declined by then. Made me sad. :(

4. frickengruvin

frickengruvin Silver Supporting Member

I saw BB with Buddy Guy and Jeff Beck, 5 or 6 years ago. Outdoor show-he was seated throughout his performance, and the show was fantastic!
    When I left, I felt he put on a showmanship clinic to Guy & Beck.
    They were great too, but BB definitely lead the way...

Gig Young likes this.
  5. Swami Asango

Swami Asango Member

:aok

Gig Young likes this.
  6. Beano Addict

Beano Addict Member

You are aware there are plenty of people whose mother tongue isn't English, right?

Maybe you could instead relay your BB King story. Would be far more interesting, IMHO.

70 Mach 1 likes this.
  7. Beano Addict

Beano Addict Member

Saw him with Buddy Guy in the 90s. What a tremendous performer. Vocal mics weren't working the greatest so he decided to focus on playing guitar far more than usual. What a treat. He played like a madman the whole night like he was 20 years younger. It was insane and a night I'll always remember.

My favorite recorded performance of his is the old Kansas 1972 Kansas show. Was on fire!

ChaChaCha and 70 Mach 1 like this.
  8. Little Larry

Little Larry Supporting Member

I saw him once, summer of '93. Very disappointing. Sorry.

9. NtS

NtS Member

I have seen him play several times back in the 70 an 80’s. He always tried to give your monies worth and then some. He knows how to entertain.

mdubya likes this.
  10. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

2009 was the best I'd ever seen BB. He came out and played non stop, less stories and more singing and songs. He was on fire, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I got to the show expecting what had become a "normal" BB show, but got BB just firing on every cylinder. About 3/4 through the show he announced that the majority of his family was in the audience, numerous grandchildren and great grandchildren. It was as if he was putting on a show especially for them to show them what he did. He was on stage playing for a little over 2 hours that night. Will never forget that show.

My only regret was there was a lady selling raffle tickets to meet BB after the show, she came up and asked if I wanted to buy one (at my seat). I was so broke at the time, the $10 for the ticket was all I had left until pay day a few days away. I passed, the people next to me bought one ticket. Guess who won that raffle? :facepalm The ticket that I passed on won.

Kurt L and Gig Young like this.
  11. mdubya

mdubya Member

Saw him in the mid-90's. Jimmy Vaughn opened.

I wasn't expecting much more than to say I had seen a legend perform.

Yet, B.B. put on a performance worthy of what made him a legend. He was awesome in every way; playing, singing, stage command, tone, pure performance. Very impressive.

ChaChaCha and Gig Young like this.
  12. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

I saw him 4-5x in the mid 90s-early 00s. First time I saw him was within the year I started playing guitar. My Mom saw he was coming and heard about him so she took my buddy and I to see him. I remember this drink guy turning around and saying "this ain't Aerosmith" to my Buddy and me. It was pretty awesome and I went down a blues rabbit hole for awhile.

Funny thing is a couple years after that I saw him at House of Blues with Josh Smith and the Frost as the opening act. Josh Smith was also from South Florida and my Mom had taken me to see him 2 previous times at a local restaurant and bar. It was cool to see him opening up for BB King probably 5 years later.

13. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

I saw him about a half dozen times (80s-90s). I always felt honored to see him play, but his skills (and the time he spent on stage / actually playing) diminished over that span. Still honored, but I sure would have loved to have seen him in the 60s or even 70s when he was more spry.

Seeing Buddy Guy over that same time window was exactly the opposite experience. He played longer and longer, and kept stepping up the game each time.

The one time I saw Son Seals was interesting - he was upset at the low turnout, so he left the stage, walked over to the bar (right next to where I was standing) and kept waving off pleas to get back on stage while he downed 3 or 4 double bourbons. I stayed at the bar just to hear his colorful dismissals (which were just as worthy of the cover as the actual performance).

14. Blue Light

Blue Light Member

Around 1969 I got to see some of the blues greats still in peak form -- Muddy Waters, James Cotton, Albert King. But BB, who I saw in an NYC club, was extra special in the warm way he created a bond with the audience. I mean, you knew that he'd told those yarns a few million times and he knew the lines that would get a reaction ("I gave you seven children/ And now you want to give 'em back!") but you went along with it because the era of the Beloved Entertainer was still good.
    Don't ask me how I got backstage but I did. It was a small room and he filled it with light. He was just as warm and accommodating as you'd imagine when you see his concert clips.

I don't know how those seven children of his feel about him, though. Not to mention the other eight.

Gig Young and 84Bravo like this.
  15. BlueDream

BlueDream Member

Yes, I saw him in Orange County. I think it was 1990. SRV, Joe cocker, and BB.
    He was still standing up. Great show. He had a small horn section. A huge fat guy was on trumpet. Dancing and whipping his 'fro around. The crowd loved it. Blues and horn stabs. A marriage made in heaven.

16. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

Saw him at the '04 Crossroads Festival. Clapton, JV, and Mayer joined him on stage to jam.

17. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

Did he go back on stage?

Blanket Jackson likes this.
  18. ow my eyes

ow my eyes Member

Saw him a couple times at Parkers in Seattle. A great show man. He did this schtick where mid way though a song his amp would blow and a stage hand would come and roll the old one off and he'd wave it "buh bye" with his handkerchief as it left the stage and the new amp would roll in, he'd plug right back in just in time for him to solo during the song. People loved it. Great story teller. He owned the stage, the band, the place, the city.....it was all his !

19. karmadave

karmadave Member

I saw BB about 5-6 times. First time, in San Diego in the early 90's and the last time shortly before he passed away. Although BB's skills may have declined, over the years, my enthusiasm and love for the man never will <3

20. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I saw BB live at the University of Georgia in the Fall of 1981. Great show.