It's been a fun week (new mandolin & banjo day)

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by nmiller, May 22, 2015.

1. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

Two deliveries in two days:

[​IMG]

A Stahl "Violin Model" mandolin (that's the description used in their advertising) built by the Larson Brothers, somewhere around 1910. It needs a little work to lower the action and seat the bridge better, but otherwise it's in very good shape for such an old instrument. It's one of very few carved-top instruments built by the Larsons, and it sounds surprisingly similar to contemporary Gibson mandolins. Click to enlarge:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Also, a Bacon Special Grand Concert tenor banjo from about 1921. This was Bacon's top-of-the-line model at the time, and it bears the stamp of their newly-opened Groton, CT factory. It has an extra-short 20" scale, which makes chording a breeze. The neck is dead straight after all these years. Click to enlarge:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Jaan

Jaan Member

Wow, those are really cool. Congrats !!

3. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

4. nmiller

Thanks guys. I dropped the mandolin off with some folks today who are going to make a new, lower bridge for it to improve the action. This way the playability can be improved without sacrificing any original material. Fortunately, the tailpiece is low enough that the break angle won't be too different. The shop also had a nice hard case for a viola that fits it pretty well.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

so not new but "new"; very nice.

what are you gonna tune the banjo to?

4-string banjos kinda strike me as "orphans" these days, there's no modern music styles that they really fit anymore, sort of like tenor guitars and fully acoustic archtop guitars.

6. nmiller

I'm keeping the banjo in C-G-D-A. I discovered that it's a great rhythm accompaniment to one of my group's original tunes, so I'm going to take it into the studio next month (maybe with an acoustic archtop :)).