1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Its Done Guys! Check Out My Board!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cyb3rvampire, Oct 14, 2006.

1. cyb3rvampire

cyb3rvampire Member

Okay guys,

I've been talking about this forever...but hear it is!!! Let me know what you think!

Proctavia>tuner>Maxon SD-9(analog man)>Lil China Cot 50>Skreddy Mayo>Rc Booster>Teese Wizard Wah>Visual Volume pedal>Arion SCH-1 Chorus>Robotalk

The Lexicon MPX1 is in the FX loop of my amp. I use it strictly for reverb and delay. I use the mpx midi switcher to control the mpx 1. Tell me what you guys think! Everything on the board I use. I use to have a bigger board with way more swirly stuff and all the diffrerent types of FX but I never really used them. Believe it or not this thing is under 40 pounds!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

LOOKS AWESOME>>>:AOK GREAT JOB!!
    Peace,
    Mass

3. loveanddag

loveanddag Member

looks killer man. is the gain actually dimed on your sd-9?

4. Josh O

Josh O Member

Nice job, and nice Wizard wah! ;)

5. g-nem

g-nem Member

Nice job of mouting the lexicon- did you build that system yourself? Post a pic of how the lid fastens and the lexicon fits into the lid- that's looks like a neat solution.

6. cyb3rvampire

cyb3rvampire Member

Yes the gain on my sd-9 is dimed. I use it for fusionesque type of solos ala scott henderson and Mike Landau. I use it for rythm heavy rock type of stuff. I will post more pictures and info later for how I use all the stuff on there. Thanks for the compliments!

Pics will come later of the rackmount.

7. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

You really run into all that dirt BEFORE your wah??

8. g-nem

g-nem Member

I used to run my dirt before my wah- it actually is a more over the top effect. I liked it a lot like that, but nowadays have switched. To each their own!

9. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Nice job. How does the Aman SD9 compare to the stock unit?

10. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Me gusta. (Translation: I likey.)

11. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

So now that it's finally done, you can't buy, sell, or trade any more pedals! :crazy

12. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Nice job man!

I'm loving the layout! How do you like your robotalk? I usually run mine before my dirt pedals.

How's all those nice little pedals being powered?

13. cyb3rvampire

cyb3rvampire Member

Yes, I run all my dirt pedals before my wah. I use to have them after the wah becuase thats what everyone said to do...to my surprise one day (a while back) i tried running my old jekyll and hyde (Visual sound pedal) before the wah and I liked the sweep in the wah a lot better. It's much more clear in my opinion and the wah sweep itself is more potent then if you were to have it after the pedals. Call me crazy, but I really like that over the top sound. Mike Landau does it this way too...and I think he knows just a little about tone.

In regards to the SD-9, I've never played a stock unit. I got this one at this price of a stock unit and I know that Analog man is THE MAN so I decided to go with this one. I really like the sound on it, I usually keep the tone around 9-11 o clock. You can get some really scooped sounds out of it...if your into that. Before the SD-9 I went through TONS of heavy distortion pedals...I had a keeley modded ds-1 (not to bad) MI audio Tubzone, couple of RATS, Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde and I've tried probably over 30 distortion pedals to find "the sound." Now, let me explain to you guys what distortion means in my vocab. Distortion is NOT a Zendrive, Dyna Red, Eternity etc. My definition of distortion is more along the lines of modern rock a la NIN, smashing pumpkins (even though thats why I got the mayo), RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE. I love the sound of heavy distortion, even though I love good ol' SRV and Jim hall. Half the time I play I end up with a Jazz archtop but I've always loved the sound of distortion (its what made me want to play!). Anyways...The Sd-9 has ended my search...honestly. It has a TIGHT bottom end when I just want to do heavy rock power chord stuff. It CAN do metal, but I'm not too into the whole drop D shred thing. I gets my soaring fusion leads (a la henderson, and landau). It's really just a great pedal in general....no mid hump...mids are just a lil scooped if you turn the tone knob up (I know that analogman really fine tuned the mids in his mods becuase i guess "pre-modded" the SD-9 was way to scooped in the mids catogoery).

ANYWAYS
    As for the robotalk...I don't use it all to much and I haven't tried it before my dirt pedals yet...It's an idea thats been floating around in my head for a while but I realy like that pedal. The arpeggiator can find its way into certain fusion tunes which is pretty cool and the Envelope filter is SOOOOOO vocal. Thats why I love it so much...I bought it for the random arpeggiator, but the envelope filter is just so dynamic and vocal.

I power all the pedals using my good ol' voodoo labs pedal power 2+. It works great and I even use the AC on the back of the power supply to power up my lexicon unit. Anyways let me tell you how I actaully use this stuff...

When I play rock I mainly use the Cot50 and my overdriven tone, the SD-9 is my rythm and lead sound (yes it DOES do both sounds very well with one tone setting) the Mayo is used on rythm and leads also. Basically, for faster rythm stuff with more definition I use the SD-9, for stuff that I just want over the top fuzz on I use the Mayo, but for a fuzz the mayo is still very defined (total pumpkin vibe). The rc booster is set clean and strictly used for solo boosts. The wah and volume are self-explanitory. The chorus I set as a more mild setting to beef up some of my clean sounds when I bust out some of my jazzier harmonies (neck single coil of a strat+ maj9 chords+ mild chorus = yummy). The robotalk is used for when I want to get really over the top.

For a blues type setup I'd probably only end up using the COT50 to be honest. I wouldn't bring the board if it was a strictly blues set. Sometimes though when I'm doing bluesy stuff I'll just use the RC set at max gain for that little bit of amp break up and compression that it does so well. I set the arion chorus faster for that "leslie wooble" sound that it does so well (think SRV) becuase its cool to throw that in the mix sometimes when you get more outside of the 145 harmony. Maybe I might throw in some wah. I dont really use the volume pedal during blues...instead I ride my volume knob becuase it will affect the gain stages since its pre-gain pedals.

Fusion.
    For fusion I leave the Cot50 on all the time and have the volume down on my guitar for comping. Turn it up for solos and when I want infinite sustain screaming solos I smack the SD-9 on and things just get sick. I use the arion for more of the leslie sound. I use the volume pedal to control the volume of the guitar...not how much gain the pedal generates (THERES A HUGE DIFFERENCES FOLKS). I use the wah pedal sometimes when I want a more rythmic solo and the proctavia usually works its way into some of the solos for those awesome high notes and disonant clashes.

HOLY **** guys...sorry for such a long post but as you can see...I really love my board and set up. I'm very happy with it. Theres tons of other great gear out there but for now I think I'm set. I'm 17 and I'm just very serious about my playing.

DISCLAIMER:this message was written at 2 in the morning after a 15 hour work day. Sorry the typos...I promise I'm not a moron.

Keep the questions and comments coming! Thanks guys.

14. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Nicely done- I especially like how you mounted the Lexicon,

Where did you find those brackets to do that?

15. cyb3rvampire

cyb3rvampire Member

The pedalboard was done by Tom at pedalboards.com. He did all the rack system. It's pretty nice.

16. AdamLee

AdamLee Member

pedelboards.com is amazing!