It's Fargen excellent!

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by michael patrick, Sep 25, 2005.

1. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

I just picked up a Fargen Mini-Plex combo. It's a Class A single-ended cathode biased 1x12 combo that puts out around 12 watts from 2 EL34s (or 6L6s, or KT66s, or 6V6s, all without the need to rebias!).

I got it for when my band plays smaller places and a Marshall half-stack would be overkill. On those gigs, the other gutar player uses an AC15, so the Mini-Plex will match up well.

Clippage...

I Can't Believe I Ate the Whole Fargen Thing

It's just my LP Special straight into the amp on both tracks. Do you think it sounds Marshally enough? :D

Cheers,

MP

2. adlibmusic

adlibmusic Member

Hey Michael, that's crunchy!!!!! Is that with EL34's? Also, what speaker?

Thanks,
    Loren

3. michael patrick

Yep, it's some old Electro Harmonix EL34s that I had sitting around. I also threw a Celestion G12H30 in there right before I did the clip.

I'm still going to monkey with the tubes some, see if I can get it to sound even closer to my 100-watt Marshall (albeit quieter).

4. rick66

rick66 Supporting Member

sounds excellent. what were the volume settings at?

5. WWFII

WWFII Member

11? :D

Jeez, I love Spinal Tap...heh

6. michael patrick

The master was maxed. The volume was around 3/4 for the rhythm and almost maxed for the lead.

I'm not entirely happy with the lead sound. A little fizzy for my taste. I've still got some tinkering to do with pre tubes, maybe try some 6V6s in the power section. Oh, the possibilities...:D

7. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

Yummy sounds!

-- EDIT --
    Grrrr... I totally forgot to spew nonsense. Soooo, here goes. The only Fargen I have ever had a chance to play through is the Blackbird (which I loved)... didn't know he did a Marshall type thingie! Very cool.

8. michael patrick

I'm a Marshall-type guy, so I was looking for a Marshall-type thing. I'm giving the Fargen a test run at band practice tomorrow, we'll see if it can take some real punishment....

9. rick66

rick66 Supporting Member

so, how did it perform at band practice?

10. michael patrick

We're actually in the middle of recording our next disc, rather than rehearsing. It's out of habit that I referred to it as band practice.... I tracked some rhythm stuff, and it sounded great. Next Wednesday I plan to track some lead stuff, so we'll see...

I did get a chance to monkey with it for a few minutes with my pedalboard (which is living at the studio these days...) and it sounded better on solo-type stuff than it did down in my basement at home. I did the sound clip I posted above at home using a little Boss BR-532... and no pedals.

As far as volume, I don't think I'll have a problem matching the volume of the other guitar player's AC15. The Fargen is loud enough to get my ears ringing...:dude

11. michael patrick

And one more thing...

Now that I've had a bit longer to get to know the amp, it looks like the key to losing the fizziness on lead stuff is to back off the master just a bit. I had it maxed when I recorded that clip (what can I say, it's only 12 watts, I thought you were supposed to do that). But it has sounded better the last few days when I've backed it off a bit.

12. filmosound

filmosound Member

did you use the built-in mic on the BR-532? if not, what kinda mic did you use?

(I just noticed this thread was from 5 months ago..... so I'll PM you)