It's funny how the cheap pedals sometimes end up being the best...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Laroosco!, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

...for what we need.

I've been through a few delays in the last 2 years. I play in "sort of" a Rockabilly band so it's a nice effect to have around.

I've used a TRex, Replica, Digidelay, Boss DD3 and a Quicksilver.
    The Replica was a great delay but was a little warm sounding. I'm ostly using a slapback and like that sort of delay tone to have a sharper high end and I just couldn't get the replica dialed in. Sold it

The Quicksilver was awesome for the rock and alt country gigs but slapback is not it's strong suit IMO Sold it

The Digidelay was what it was. It was a cool delay but it was a little noisy sold it

Boss DD3. Jesus what a PITA this was. I had to go without a powered pedal board for a week and had to change the battery ever hour. The real issue was that it just sounded kinda fake. THe high end was really wierd and I never felt comfortable whaile it was on. I know I cvould have sent it to Analog Man or someone like that and had it improved but by this point I wasn't sure I wanted to mess with a delay at all. Sold it.

Since selling the DD3 I haven't used a delay for months(Isold the DD3 in February) I've been without delay all together.

I recently got the bug and have been eyeballing different delay units but just haven't been able to drop the cash.

I was getting ready for our regular Thursday gig when I found a pedal packed away that I haven't seen in years. It's an Ibanez DL5 Soundtank. I didn't think it would do the trick but since our Thursday gig is super laid back I thought I would give it a shot.

I plugged it in and it was just right. For whatever reason this cheap little plastic pedal gives the exact delay I've been looking for. It didn't let me down all night.

I used to gig with this pedal years ago but stopped using it for some reason. I didn't even remember I had it until today. It's funny how the thing we look so hard for can be right under out noses the entire time.

I'm sure that the same sort of thing happens to you guys all the time

2. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

3. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I love the tone of my dano pb+j delay/echo and tuna melt trem. Got them for 20 each. Great usable sounds!

dk

4. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Yep , I owned lots of hi-end tremelo pedals and kept the Danelectro to use at gigs for years. . Cost 20.00 like the last poster said ... I"ve been using the Boss or Dano recently and they're perfect for me.

Currently , I just tried the Dano Cool Cat Chorus.. Damn if that isn't better than loads of expensive choruses.. . Quiet as can be as opposed to others and great chorus sounds

I've used the Ibanez EM5 soundtank for years as well as the DE7 .. They 're great and cheap..

It's all a matter of finding what's best for us. .

I'm very very surprised that a lot of 'newer gearheads' start wtih expensive options though before they've explored cheap options. . I mean why buy a modded Rat before a regular Rat? That makes no sense? Or why buy brand x Tremelo for 225.00 before trying the Boss or Dano? Oh well. . I do in fact understand exploring all the options once you've tested the reliable and cheaper stuff, as it's fun being a gearhead!!!!

Eric

5. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I used a Cool Cat Chorus and a DL5 for years, they were great. The Cool Cat was a one trick (but a cool trick!) and I like tap delays, but both pedals are very gig worthy.

6. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

what happens to me is that i have a couple of friends that can play their arses off and they sound great with 20 dollar pedals, so i understand you!

7. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

I still have not found a pedal that sounds better than a $40 Bad Monkey as a boost into an already overdriven amp. I have tried close to a dozen.

Mike

8. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

My run-of-the mill reissue Ibanez TS9 sounds glorious to my ears, when combined with my SG and my Marshall. It just gives me MORE of what I already have, and that's exactly what I want.

But speaking about delays, I'm getting into rockabilly lately, and I need a unit that's capable of good slapback. Gonna check out the Ibanez and the Dano pedals.

9. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I almost forgot about the 2 Dan Echo's I owned!!! They were great but I had problems with the plastic jacks going bad

10. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

An Arion SAD-1 Stereo Analog Delay has been on my board for years and will never leave. Not really "cheap" but still reasonable and much cheaper than the equivalent boss.

Buffered, but no tone suck to my ears. Sounds glorious for slapback and "fake reverb."

TG

11. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

I've got an Ibanez TR-5 tremolo and it's my favorite trem pedal. I've also got a little Dano trem if I need a hard chop. Love the cheap stuff! Sometimes wrong is so very right.

12. MBreinin

Cheap slapback delay? Get either a Rocktron short timer or an Echo Park. I have both and they sound great doing this. Echo Park can tone suck though.

Mike

13. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Very true.. And a word of advice..
    Sometimes it is best NOT to listen to advice on forums, saying this and this sucks or that and that sucks.. Whether it sucks tone.. Whether it is a BOSS (sometimes they think this is a reason)..
    What matters at the end of the day is what YOU think! My trump card is the cheapest pedal on my board.. :AOK

14. billygoat

billygoat Member

I have an AD999 on my board, and an ibanez de-7 in storage...Truth be told, the de-7 sounds better for slapback. Only vanity and the lack of true bypass keep it off my board

15. richey88

richey88 Member

+1!! Here's a live clip using a Bad Monkey into a slightly dirty Crate V18 with another cheapo, EHX LPB-1 for the solo boost: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6925065 1 mic on the room and a feed from the board (we only mic vocals and kick), not the best quality but you get the idea. Also love the Dano Cool Cat Fuzz ($29) and Fish n Chips EQ ($15 used) and PB n J delay (also $15 used).

16. MBreinin

Killer tone and playing on that! Nice inexpensive rig that really puts out the goods.

Mike

17. AmpliFIRE

AmpliFIRE Supporting Member

After owning a bunch of high end pedals...I'm all about cheap pedals as well!!! Right now I've got the following cheapies on my board:

- Dano Tuna Salad
    - Dano EQ
    - Digitech MIA Bad Monkey
    - Boss SD-1 MIJ
    - Yamaha CHII-10 Analog Chorus
    - Yamaha Flanger
    - Ibanez DE-7 delay

I must say that I'm VERY happy with my tone :AOK