It’s got serious mojo, has tone to die for, and plays like butter...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by agquake, Mar 20, 2020.

1. gigs

gigs Member

photos of wife or she never said it.

axehandler and JukeJointJunkie like this.
  2. Sludgefeast_84

Sludgefeast_84 Member

This is from an actual ad on Facebook marketplace :bonk

Selling my Epiphone Les Paul. It’s a fantastic guitar, plays and has been treated well. I even used it for a gig. It’s loaded with a stock PAF in the neck and I put a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge. But it’s just not what I need, I’m more of a Stratocaster kind of guy. They just fit my playing style better. Plus, the wife is getting after me to thin the herd as they say LOL! So I figured somebody else would be able to make better use of it!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  3. LARRY GERSHON

LARRY GERSHON Silver Supporting Member

Love to see a guitar ad like this
    Guitar for sale, I don’t like it, it needs better pickups, the neck is too wide, I don’t like the finish and it has no case. My loss is your gain!

4. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Member

2010 American Standard Strat.

Excellent cosmetic condition. Frets are 8.5/10. Everything works as it should. Bone stock. Text if you want to come and see it. Case not included.

Finish: Original

Body Material: Alder Body

Body Details: Alder solid body

Neck Material: Maple Neck

Neck Profile: C profile

Neck Thickness (IN): 1st fret: 0.82" / 12th fret: 0.88"

Fingerboard Radius: 9.50

Nut Width: 1-11/16 in

Neck Details: Maple neck with Walnut skunk stripe.

Electronics: Original single coil pickups, 5-way selector switch, volume and tone controls.

Pickup Measurements: neck: 5.7K ohms / middle: 5.8K ohms / bridge: 7.0K ohms

Hardware: Original

Weight: 7 lbs 14.2 oz

Jon Silberman and bigben55 like this.
  5. dogbone94

dogbone94 Supporting Member

send it to me and I will relic it for you... i'll send it back in about 10 years..... :rolleyes:

6. Madison

Madison Member

Imagine: Man playing one of his many guitars, wife walks in. Honey, you need to thin the herd please. Okay dear which one? I don't care just pick the one with the most mojo, and while you're at it make damn sure it plays like buttah. Okay I'm on it, will post in TGP emporium right now.

RC Mike and DETRONATI like this.
  7. Yamaha 1421

Yamaha 1421 Member

Rare IS a word that does get slapped on a bunch of things that it does not really apply to. Tons of Gibson Les Pauls out there................same with Strats Telecasters.Lots of Special Editions of all of those that were made in limited numbers but RARE..............not really,even if it is a one off it STILL a LES PAUL, STRAT,or TELECASTER.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    3of5 likes this.
  8. dazco

dazco Member

And it's yours for only 25X the bluebook because a guy from a 70s one hit wonder band signed it. (theres actually a guy selling a zep signed epi right now for $5000, so you are paying $4700 for zeps sigs)

9. gibson3798

gibson3798 Member

Someone please post an acceptable ad so the rest of us can know what one looks like.

10. axehandler

axehandler Supporting Member

To be honest, I'm sitting on a "serious mojo, has tone to die for" custom-shop vintage J45 right now that I'm considering selling because I'm not picking up that much, because I have other options/guitars. (Okay, maybe the neck is slightly chunkier than I'd prefer, but it's still fine.) And it represents a giant chunk of change ($3k, anyone?) that seems to be sitting around and not getting enjoyed. Or maybe I'm just afraid of putting too much wear on such a fine instrument? I dunno... but I think that right there should be enough explanation to sell something. Maybe this is the seller's wife's attitude, too?

Aside from that, I have sold some pretty wicked guitars, amps, and stuff over the years. But I always do my best to explain my reason for selling: neck is too chunky for my small hands; I don't gig so this amp's too loud at home; amp head didn't pan out, so I'm selling this cab that was paired with it; etc. I'd like to think my potential buyers appreciate a little honesty.

11. shredmiyagi

shredmiyagi Member

Well , jokes aside... cause I get it... I have sold guitars that I ultimately regretted selling, but was either naively looking to get something newer and shinier, or I really needed money.

So, the “steaming with mojo but gotta sell” cliche may be ridiculous most the time, but once in a while you get a sucker like me selling off a great guitar.

On that note... anybody looking for a old EBMM Axis? :bumpbump

Just kidding. But that guitar is funny for me - it’s my oldest axe, I rarely ever use it anymore, and everytime I get ready to sell it, I play it, decide it ain’t worth selling and unlist it. About 6 years ago, I had a craigslist sale lined up, and as the guy called saying he’s on his way I said I have to cancel. He called me back and started offering more cash, trade in items, begging. Ultimately I said “Sorry man, no sale!” , hung up, and vowed to put the thing in its case and just keep it forever.

It has come up clutch here and there, but I have a very psychotic love/hate relationship with it. I irrationally blame it for some gigs and recordings it screwed up - it is very picky with amp settings, whereas my Tele i can plug into a transistor radio and it’ll sit in the mix perfectly. I also practiced more on that thing than anything else. It also has a unique sound and when it plays and sounds great, it’s fantastic.

So you see? Lol - a strange case. It does play like butter, and it has some mojo, but it's not an appropriate guitar for most my musical jobs. As I've gotten older and family oriented, I set some "rules" for myself in regards to buying more gear than I need for my music work.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  12. GarMan

GarMan Supporting Member

HA. A little off topic...I remember taking my amp to a pretty well-known amp tech here in town for servicing, and when I picked it up he told me my amp lacks that "certain sparkle". I didn't even ask him for an opinion, but he was thoughtful enough to just throw that out there. HAHA. I will make sure to add that to my ad if I ever decide to sell it. However, the amp serves up a ton of haunty chirpy mids. :)

13. GarMan

GarMan Supporting Member

I am not sure if I have said these things that people are joking about on this thread. I may have?! Don't know. Don't Remember. I am going to look. :)

However, I did sell a guitar here about 10 years ago during a desperate time, and what was agonizing was that I saw the guitar pop up 2 or 3 times in the ad section. One time, I contacted one of the sellers, and he/she was selling the guitar way more that what I originally paid for. I still had the receipt, and offered what I originally paid for. I told the seller that I was the original owner, and wanted the guitar back. Apparently, the seller put in a ton of money into the guitar, and needed to recoup his investment. Like might have put in 14K gold output jack, or solid platinum frets. Ha. OK. Sure. My loss was his gain, I guess.

14. Less Paule

Less Paule Member

I'm waiting for ESP to release their Carona Virus-Free EC-1200CVF with Duncans, so I'll have to pass on any other opportunity.

15. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I'd like to try it out for 6 months :idea Do you take Paypal? :red

3of5 likes this.
  16. rynugz007

rynugz007 Member

takes pedals well

5 octillion various flavors, makes, models of pedals on the market, running from one end of the sonic gamut to the other, but lets generalize and make sure potential buyers are aware that your amp is one of the good ones that sounds good with ALL of them.

If you really want to know if an amp takes pedals well....make sure it has a 1/4" input.

17. rockabilly69

rockabilly69 Supporting Member

I just bought a guitar a week ago as a forum member here had to thin the heard. He just bought one too many guitars, and frankly, the guitar he sold me, I can't find a damn thing wrong with it. It pretty much has all the killer elements. Great price, low weight, nice wood/finish, and most importantly killer tone. And now I'll probably sell a really good guitar to help fund it! So although many times this is BS, in this case everything was exactly as listed...

[​IMG]

Yamaha 1421 likes this.
  18. TaoInMotion

TaoInMotion Member

Kills me to let this one go. Tone monster.

19. sheikyerbouti

sheikyerbouti Supporting Member

Serious, 'Woman' tone for days!

20. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

Yup, I got some guitars that fit the description and I ain't selling the mother****ers.