Its Here!(pics)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by inscho, Jul 3, 2006.

1. inscho

inscho Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It arrived at work today, went to GC on my lunch break to play around on some fender amps...Oh sweet voices of the angels!!! it sounded sweet, it sounded raunchy, fit me like a glove, and looks rad as hell.

I'm in love.
    :BEER

2. inscho

inscho Senior Member

Its an old CIJ and the pickup covers aren't chrome...I was told they were SD quarter pounders, but I believe that they are the stock pickups that have been painted black and then scratched through in places back to the original white. I call them "cow pups" :D

3. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

It does look "rad as hell!" :D

4. Antero

Antero Member

I want a jazzmaster so badly.

5. inscho

inscho Senior Member

it is the best sounding/feeling guitar I have played on. It would be in your best interest to purchase one as well :AOK

6. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

When a Jazzmaster whammy bar system is set up well, it's really great. The one I got to play a couple times in the mid '70s was just an amazing guitar. The pickups were great too.

7. inscho

inscho Senior Member

I don't have any previous experience with other jazzmasters to relate to, but this is easily surpasses all of my other guitars in playability, variety, and tone.

8. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

So, do they sound beefy?:crazy

Congrats!!! Thats another one I'm wanting one of some day.

9. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

Me too . . but that is one of several that I jones constantly for . . . .

10. Unburst

Unburst Member

Looks sweet, congrats.

11. TeleTubby

TeleTubby Supporting Member

Man, you are living the life- you get to go to GC on your lunchbreak, you can spread your gear around the workplace, and you have one of the coolest guitars ever.:) Surprisingly versatile tones available from a JM, I'm perplexed why they aren't seen around more often? I played a '66 JM in the first "good" band I was in (circa mid '80s), and I've missed it ever since. It belonged to the bass player, so when the band broke up, it was gone. I have been on the lookout for another ever since- your pics have inspired me to look again with a bit more effort. Thanks for that, the pics, and enjoy the heck out of it!!!

12. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I had a very similar CIJ JM, although it had the normal output Duncans in it, rather than the much beefier Quarter Pounders. Really nice guitar -- but, you know how it goes. I sold it.

A couple of months ago, I got a new AVRI JM -- love it! Just like you say, it's so much more versatile that you'd expect. I'm actually about to do a sort of "boutique pickup shootout" -- I've got the stock pickups, a set of Lollars, one Novak vintage wind neck pickup and EIGHT different Novak bridge pickups. The bridge pickups include an actual JM-sized P-90, various types of vintage wind JM pickups, a JM-sized PAF, and I can't remember what else.

If nothing else, my decent but not star-quality soldering skills will get a major workout!

13. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

Nice, I like Jazzmasters .. I have one on the way myself. If that were mine I'd probably replace all the black bits with aged white, but that's just me - it looks cool as is too.

CQ, with 8+ pups to go through I'd just solder some kind of connectors to make life easier .. then you could swap in/out as much as you wanted for comparisons, merely by taking out a couple of screws.

14. inscho

inscho Senior Member

when I first saw pictures of it, I wanted to do that or with a red tort pickguard. It looks a lot cooler in person, it has character...I still may change it but I'm loving the look.

Is there anyone that can do chrome JM pickup covers? I know it would probably be a custom job.

15. duckbunny

duckbunny Member

Yeah, I know...me too. Why after 30 years or so I don't know. Maybe it's the Nels Cline I've been listening to!:AOK

-db

16. inscho

inscho Senior Member

wow. funky.

i like it!

17. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

That's a cool idea. I'll have to head over to Radio Shack in the morning & see what options are available to me. Thanks!

18. inscho

inscho Senior Member

not that I know of...do you remember where was it located in memphis? I have only lived here for 2 years and I've never heard the name before.