1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

It's here - the Fuzz God has struck!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Non-Digital Tom, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

I got my first batch of Red Witch Fuzz Gods yesterday, and I spent about an hour playing with one. So here's the initial report:

This, at the heart of it, is a two-transistor circuit using NOS Germanium transistors. Basically, it's a real fuzz pedal. In the "normal" mode, you can get a very traditional, old-school Germanium Fuzz Face type sound. Very warm and crunchy. I like the trannies Ben has picked for this, it's got the right swirl to it. The "Wrath" mode engages the fuzz craziness, which some people have been likening to the Fuzz Factory. Yes, there are sounds that are similar to what the Fuzz Facory does, but it's done differently. This is by no means a Fuzz Factory clone.

I think the basic idea of the Fuzz God is to have a Germanium fuzz that allows a straight fuzz sound and a wacky oscillation/noise fuzz sound at the click of a switch, and in that sense it's a fuzz roaring success.

One caveat - the Fuzz God is not for everyone, just like fuzz in general is not for everyone, be it a Fuzz Face or a Fuzz Factory. This pedal wants to be played LOUD through a nice rig. If you're looking for quick and dirty instant gratification, go get a Big Muff or a Rat. But if you're a real fuzz lover and you're willing to do a little tweaking to discover new sounds, the Fuzz God could be just thing you're looking for.

2. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

What does the 'Width' control do? Have we seen something like that before?

Is the 'Sputter' control generally useful or would you only use that for occasional special effects?

When the 'Wrath' button is engaged is it still possible to control the effect or does it do its own thing?

3. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

Tom,

Can you provide a brief description of what the Wrath and Sputter controls do? Sounds like the Sputter control is a "Bias" or something like "Comp" on a Fuzz Factory. Assume Volume and Fuzz are self evident....thanks! :)

4. stratovarius

What kind of power supply could be used on this pedal and others like it? I know I've seen battery clip type adaptors before, but you would want a saggy supply as well. Would it be worthwhile? Batteries and switches built into the input jack are annoying.

5. BenFulton

BenFulton Member

Thanks for the review Tom - glad you like the unit!

To answer some questions.......

- The Sputter control is a form of bias - it enables you to find the "sweet spot" of the fuzz - normally between 3 o'clock and 5 o'clock. Between 12 o'clock and 7 o'clock the sputter control starts to sput up the sound - a gated sputty messy - very clipped and staccato - it can shift the "stock" fuzz sound into that "Yardbirds" Page era fuzz - slight sputtyness - a little sizzle and smidgeon of sustain.

Wrath basically initiates and oscillation frequency that is set by adjusting the wrath control. It also responds to where the Fuzz and Sputter controls are set - as well as your guitar volume control and which pickup you have selected. This oscillation can be set up to become "parasitic" - it blends into the note you are playing or (for lower frequency settings) pulls the note down to an ocatave below. Be aware that it will not track well - it is intended to be chaotic and crazy!

As far as using a battery snap adapter connected to you power supply.... BE VERY CAREFUL - the unit uses a positive ground - this is a requirement of the PNP Germanium transistors. If you attach a battery snap on a daisy chain supplying several pedals from one supply you will short out the negative ground on the other pedals with the positive ground of the Fuzz God and potentially damage your supply. The only way to avoid this is to use a supply with seperate, isolated supplies - Voodoo labs Pedal Power is one such supply...... or dedicate one power adapter specifically for the Fuzz God.

Hope this all helps.

Happy Fuzzing!!!!!!!!!!!
    :RoCkIn

6. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

More about "Sputter" and "Wrath"... the Sputter knob work in both modes, whereas the Wrath knob functions only in the "Wrath" (lightning bolt) mode. Like Ben said, the Sputter is a bias knob - full clockwise is the open "normal" sound. Turning the knob counter-clockwise begins to get that gated mosquito fuzz, and turning it further gets you that sputter fuzz. Lots of very interesting oscillation/noise/sub-octave madness using the Wrath and Sputter controls in the Wrath mode. They can be tamed and somewhat in control by cutting the Fuzz knob back just a bit. Like all the Red Witch pedals, I've found there's a lot of interaction with the different controls.

7. muddy

muddy Member

to be honest, from the clips i've heard do far, it sounds much richer & warmer than the fuzz fact'y.

ml

8. stratovarius

I have a little trouble with ye olde English pagan script, though.

Somehow I got 'Width' out of 'Wrath'. :jo

9. fyler

fyler Member

my fuzz god shipped yesterday, so i'll be able to chime in very soon :dude

10. fyler

fyler Member

well, i got my fuzz god and i'm a bit disappointed. not that it's bad, at all. it's a good sounding fuzz, but i was hoping for something raging, searing, and screaming, and the Fuzz God (even at it's craziest) is a warm, almost mellow sounding fuzz. i A/B'd it with my Fuzz Factory & the FF was way more to my liking. for all the folks that think the ZVex FF is too harsh, this might be the perfect fuzz.

11. stratovarius

Oh, ye of little faith, why dost thou doubtest?
    The ancient god of fuzz hath shown compassion.
    Alas, a parable to he who has ears to hear.

When the eye of fuzz and the eye of wrath doth meet,
    The ligtning bolt of wrath shall be unleashed.
    Thy humble servant shall then increaseth thy fuzz.

The wise increseth slowy towards the abyss -
    To them are opened the gates of sonic heaven,
    But the foolish shalt perish in the fires of eternal oscillation.

12. seanc

seanc Member

i still prefer the fuzz factory. doesnt the fuzz god meant to be like a fuzz factory but with a different twist?

i do think it looks better then any fuzz pedal i have ever seen. hahaha. might have to try it one day

13. stratovarius

This is a great little fuzz and it takes me where I want to go - into liquid singing sustain territory. There's plenty of gain, but it's smooth, focused and very musical. I've been looking for this pedal for a long time.

For wilder fuzz, entering "wrath" mode and adjusting the dials right to the edge of oscillation yields some interesting results. I have no experience with the Fuzz Factory, so I can't compare.

I like to go nuts and create alien spaceship sounds every now and then, but when it's time to put away the toys, this pedal will still be standing. There are some killer tones in the Fuzz God and it is destined to become one of my main pedals.

:AOK