It's Ready. TRAINWRECK EXPRESS Reissue.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MRscratch, Aug 20, 2010.

1. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

so... it is finished. im flying to newark to meet JM and get my amp on sept 10.
    we agreed to 6-8 months, and it ready. right on schedule.
    very happy, very curious. we spoke through emails and phone calls since march.
    JM sounds like a super good guy, and im so glad i stepped up to buy the amp.
    so, by sept 12, i will be back in vancouver SHREDDING!!!:love:

2. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

read up about the trainwreck RIs, J.T.

3. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

4. ukslinger

ukslinger Member

I heard the slit in the front panel has a lot to do with the tone. Could make or break the amp.

All kidding aside hope its a great amp and want to hear a lot of clips.

5. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

yeah, hes made a couple. i think 4 or 5 liverpools. and i know he made an express for another fellow who did some work for komet.
    you know what, i know a few fellows have made clones, and they sound great.
    i think the basic is just electronics and common sense.
    The part that gets folks is ken is dead. i think the fact that he final tuned the amps is where the shyte starts.
    someone else is doing that.these amps will sound the way JM tunes them.
    truth be told, in half a year, i will re tube mine. the way i want.it will sound like the way i tune it.
    ken built them with love.its his design,no one is disputing that.
    the fact is, its an amp.just an amp. i know what i like.i will make it sound the way i want.the quality is top notch.still all hand made. JM and i have had a great many conversations while he was building. its been a great experience.
    he built an amp for me,using parts that were still on kens shelf,and using parts that Jm though were more appropriate for what im after.
    i wish that these were received as well as Andy's Dumble clones. just because dumble aint dead, doesnt make it more legit, does it? its still a clone.
    JM acknowledges that these are RE ISSUES. IN THE SPIRIT OF !!!
    however, he has the legal right to use the name. and the blessing.i will however leave costs out, but i can say honestly that this is not a cash grab.
    you folks will have to talk to JM about costs.
    will post pics,then when i have time, clips.
    thanks for the well wishes.
    steffen

6. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

thank you for the kind words, just trying to spread the love.im quite comfortable with my purchase.i put my trust in many "new" companies in the past. matchless and badcat being the most known.
    it is nice to have your decisions supported by your peers, but i do what i feel is right at the end of the day. The amp is something i really wanted and Jm built it for me with the best intentions for no money down, for a guy that lives 3000 miles away.its all custom woods,tubes ,etc. im sure he could sell it right now if he wanted,but he built it for me, and is excited for me to have it.
    that, you cant replace.i will post pictures first, then clips when i get into a studio.

7. redshark1105

redshark1105 Member

MRscratch Congratulations!! I can't wait to hear that amp!! I'm sure it will be great!!

8. scriptphase

scriptphase Member

Love this post. Enjoy the amp! :dude

9. Unabender

Unabender Member

From Trainwreck web site:

"When Ken spoke of nobody being able to build Trainwrecks, JM had never built a complete one. JM's is sure Ken would have affirmed that the new amps sound "right". That's coming from the man who helped Ken originally voice Trainwreck amps."

Uh-huh. Originally helped voice TW amps? Really? Because I'm pretty sure I've never read Fischer having help with ANY of his amps, let alone voicing them.

I'm sure the reissues are fine amps, don't get me wrong.

10. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

we will see wont we? He was there at the beginning. doesnt mean he was there all along.

11. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Supporting Member

What kind of work for Komet?

12. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

Steffan

Congrats - hope it turns out spectacular! Can't wait to hear how you like it.

Cheers

nigel

13. redshark1105

redshark1105 Member

I think that JM has a better chance than many other amp builders to fine tune the amp closer to Ken specs. Forget about the mojo in the old parts or work on his bench, that doesn't make a diference. What really makes a diference is that he has access to technical information documented by Ken while developing his designs that no one else has. I don't even believe in the 5 laws but just having access to Ken's notes and a couple of amps to do the proper A/B testing is a chance that not a lot of people actually has. So Steffen enjoy the amp and let us all hear.

14. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

So what's the wattage of the amp you are buying? What's the power tube configuration? Thanks.

15. redshark1105

redshark1105 Member

Yes, the loudest 35watts with EL34's and the MEANEST and LOUDEST 22 watts with 6V6's.
    I think the only pair of 6V6's that makes justice to that amp is the VERY old tungsol 6V6. In my opinion better sounding that even the RCA's. Has a fuller and rounder sound.

16. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

Only 35Watts with 2 x EL34's? Is it cathode biased instead of fixed? Aren't you supposed to get 50W clean from 2 x EL34's?

Nevertheless, it's probably going to put out 65W- 70W at full crunch tone.

17. redshark1105

redshark1105 Member

I think it will be around 55-60W. Remember that the Trainwreck Express has so much gain that basicaly if you set the volume around 1 o clock that will give a huge amount of gain and volume. I don't see anybody in need to dime an Express.

18. NFB

NFB Senior Member

Enjoy a great amp!

19. Rupe

Rupe Member

Congrats on making the wait and getting something you want. Nothing against Ken's practice of fine tuning an amp, but I really have a hard time believing that his work can't be replicated...I expect this will sound like a Trainwreck. I say this because unless you play a very similar instrument/guitar to the one Ken used and have the same touch and playing dynamics I can't see how his final tuning would be ideal for another player. Add component drift and degradation over time to the mix and I think it becomes the stuff of myth.

Enjoy the amp...looking forward to hearing about it!

20. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

well, he played it for me over the phone.my jaw dropped.it sounded amazing.
    he showed me all tonal variety that the amp has. clean to mean. and super mean. extremely aggressive amp.