It's Ready. TRAINWRECK EXPRESS Reissue.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MRscratch, Aug 20, 2010.

1. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

thanks to all the well wishers. i know people are probably more curious than nasty.
    the amps are the stuff of legend,the creator legendary,so its a hard pill to swallow for a lot of folks.
    that said, i just jump into things with both feet .

2. J.T. Guitar

J.T. Guitar Platinum Member

Thanks man... no biggie. Enjoy your amp in good health!

Thanks for the info bro.

3. redshark1105

redshark1105 Member

Wow!! Thanks for the info!! I built an express for my personal use and my LP jr. is the guitar that gives me the better range of clean to mean. Of course the guitar has a few tweaks ;) but is my favorite guitar for a trainwreck style amp.

4. GT100

GT100 Member

Vancouver you say,
    Anywhere near White Rock?
    ;)

Lloyd

5. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

6. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

okay, I've been wondering about this all day.... but have you thought about how you're going to get it home? Will it be a carry-on in a commercial flight? Will you check it in like luggage AND being treated as such? Or will you ship it via Fed Ex or UPS?

Each choice presents some interesting challenges for the safety of the amp.

7. Unabender

Unabender Member

You could say the same thing for just about any vintage-ish amp design. JTM 45... Marshall 18 watters... just some examples.

8. Pinelake

Pinelake Member

I heard a band over the weekend with one of the guitarist using a Trainwreck. He used a distortion pedal for the sustain. Struck me odd to put that in the signal path of such a fine amp.

Since then I've been reading about Trainwrecks and Ken Fischer. I've seen what the originals are selling for. Way out of my price range. Just curious what the newer re-issues are selling for as a range.

I'm not asking what you paid. Sorry if this is insensitive and just ignore the request if so. Just curious about the price range and didn't want to bother them since they really want to tender serious inquiries.

Thanks

9. Big B

Big B Member

Can't wait to hear a report on this one. Best of luck OP.

10. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

Does anyone know JM's name? Or is it some big secret?

11. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

12. redshark1105

redshark1105 Member

It's not a secret. It's been mentioned in older threats and other forums. If you know how to use the search tool you can find it.

13. redshark1105

redshark1105 Member

You have to email the guy and figure out the price of the specific amp you want built. I think prices change a little depending woods used for the cab, tubes and type of parts.

14. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

What an F'd up response. It would have taken you about 1/10th the effort to type the name. Two posts in this thread asked who the guy is and no one can post his name???

You try searching on "Trainwreck" and "JM" and see how easy it is.

15. redshark1105

redshark1105 Member

Don't be aggresive!! Go read the trainwreck webpage. The builder's desire is to remain anonimous and I'm just respecting his decision. I'm nobody to write his name and make it public if that is what he wants.
    I'm sure his name has been written in other threads and forums.

16. billconnorsfan

billconnorsfan Member

Guitar 55, what a horrible attitude. That being said, you're not owed anything and the information is publicly available. I know who JM is, and I used the search function to find out. Come on man... :facepalm

FlyingsCool likes this.
  17. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Supporting Member

John Mark, RCA employee, consult for Groove Tubes and Fischer's former assistant, who Fischer reputedly consulted many times concerning voicing of his amps and other stuff, but who also worked too slowly and was therefore never hired to be an employee of Trainwreck Circuits.

Now stop asking who the hell JM is

18. NFB

NFB Senior Member

Who in heck is JM?[​IMG]

and what they hey is a Trainwreck?[​IMG]

19. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

1. Ken respected, trusted, and was influenced by JM's ears. JM worked with Ken before Trainwreck Circuits existed. Ken consulted JM on issues of tone and JM helped Ken voice the original Trainwreck amps. JM worked on a number of 'wrecks over the years. Ken appreciated JM's ears and meticulous work; Ken would have hired JM but JM worked so slowly that paying him would have raised the price of the amps by 25% (This was when Ken sold them for $650 a head. Ken never imagined the monetary value his amps would achieve). When Ken spoke of nobody being able to build Trainwrecks, JM had never built a complete one. JM's is sure Ken would have affirmed that the new amps sound "right". That's coming from the man who helped Ken originally voice Trainwreck amps.
    2. JM has access to information no one else has. He has access to Ken's parts list (Hint: Though you can build a good sounding amp with Heyboer transformers, Trainwreck amps were never built with them) and more importantly, Ken's notes.
    3. JM works in Ken's shop and builds with Ken's equipment, helping him replicate Ken's exact methods. Working with Ken's equipment actually helps JM to understand the way Ken did things. He uses Ken's stash of tubes and parts, too.
    4. JM compares his newly built Rockets with Ken's personal Rocket, the one Ken referred to as "Reality Check". JM's newly built amps hold their own and then some. They sound amazing and meet the tonal standard set by "Reality Check" even in blind listening tests.

20. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Member

Groove Tubes had a consultant???