Its Tele Time

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Bacton, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Bacton

Bacton Member

I think its finally time for me to buy a tele. The problem is, I dont have a whole lotta experience with these babies. Im thinking that the fender 62 or 52 vintage reissues look good. Its either one of those or a G&l classic or maybe even a g&l special. How do these compair? What would you pick? p.s I play in an indie/roots rock kinda band. Educate me on the ins and outs of these axes!

2. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

Fender Baja Classic. Custom shop design, custom shop pups, the best neck Fender offers IMO. Just a great guitar for 1/3 of the reissues.

3. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Hey Bacton - where do you live?

4. telefmt

telefmt Member

A used G&L is a good deal too

5. KSKONDOR

KSKONDOR Member

The 52 RI is a great example of a tele and I don't think you can go wront with it. I have an American Deluxe ash that I love and it's great because it has tne noiseless pups which people love or hate (I love) and it can go thicker because of the toggle switch....If I was in the market right now though, I'd give one of those I beleive Hod Rod 52's a look with great butterscotch paint and a hb in the neck.

6. smorgdonkey

smorgdonkey Member

Indeed!! Nice choice. Also easy to sell if one finds that 'it just is not for me'.

7. humbuster

humbuster Senior Member

Fender - Thin Skin 52 Reissue
    G&L - Asat Classic

8. Bacton

Bacton Member

mike9, Im in NYC

9. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

52 Hot Rod Tele is the ticket :)

10. thesooze

thesooze Member

11. smorgdonkey

smorgdonkey Member

12. motorcitychick

motorcitychick Member

1951 Relic Nocaster in Honey Blonde! You will love this guitar. Go to Guitar Center because they have a sale on the NOS Nocasters if you can find one!:dude

13. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

MojoCaster is a TELE GURU! If you don't believe me, check out his website. :AOK

14. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

I currently have 6 Tele's (5 Fenders and a G&L ASAT Classic). Just sold a G&L ASAT Special semi-hollow. So here is my 3 cents.

Firstly you should try as many as possible. The neck shape varies alot with the Tele's ('52 has U-shape and then there's modern and vintage C-shape..etc). Also fretboard radius jump around from model to model too. A 7.5" radius (baseball bat) is going to be harder for some people compared to a 12" (flatter) radius. So when I'm thinking about getting another Tele I ALWAYS start at neck shape and feel first, then I'll worry about the rest.

G&L ASAT Classic - Very nicely made and playing guitar. Stock pickups are hotter than stock Fenders. Has more of a modern sound, darker and almost "Straty".

G&L ASAT Special (semi-hollow) -Again great craftsmanship! The Stock P90 size MFD pickups were surprisely very tame in the Hollow body. Sounded like heaven when played clean, but for mild gain just didn't sound right. I tried alot of different strings but always the same, no growl. In the future I'm going to try a solidboby ASAT Special to see if it's got some bite.

Fender Muddy Waters Sig. - Awsome Vintage tone but I had to do ALOT of adjustments with neck tilt to get rid of fret buzz and I have my guitars with higher action than most! I guess being a Muddy Waters it's suppose to be played as a slide guitar. But the Stock pickups sound so good for regular playing. The Fatter vintage C-shape is my favorite, nice and think for string bending.

Fender MIM Esquire - Swapped pickup for a Seymour Duncan STL-1b Vintage for broadcaster, very close to my Lollar Special, and only cost $57.00

Fender MIM tele standard - Nothing special here just your basic Tele with modern C-shape neck. I'm still trying to find the right pickups for this one, its either too bright or too dark. The body is Alder and seems not to have any midrange. Not badly made by any means just needs some extra mojo in it.

So best advice is again to play with some first. An Ash body usually will be warmer and more "musical" than Alder. But I believe nowdays body tone woods are luck of the draw. You can have an American made Ash sound muffle to a basic Alder. I would get a Mexican made Tele over a Squier anyday. And never go by looks for a Tele. They are a unique musical tool and need to be heard!

15. codeorama

codeorama Member

If you are put off by the 7.25 radius or small frets of the 52 ri, you should check into a Hwy 1 texas tele.
    It has the ash body with the same shape as the 52, and the neck has a 12 radius and much bigger frets. Great guitar, even more so considering there are deals to be had on them. I got mine brand new for 600. I'm more of a LP guy, but I love my Texas Tele.

16. Csapo

Csapo Gold Supporting Member

What's your budget?

17. romo

romo Supporting Member

Best neck on any guitar I have played. +1 for the Baja.

18. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

The Baja is nice (love the neck) but the ones I played were a little heavy. My CS 63 has a 9.5 radius and barely weighs over 6 lbs. KILLER guitar. Check Daves he has a great selection of special sauce ones as does Wildwoods.

19. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

20. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Go with what bluesrules says, try as many as possible . Both G&L and Fenders, and see what feels best for you. Other than resale ,don`t worry about the brand name.Best of luck to you and you won`t go wrong w/a Tele.