It's the cleans stupid!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Scott Peterson, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I am loving my amps now, really boiled it down to three; all in the same sort of sonic ballpark.

What I have always found in the past is that I'll dig the cruch from an amp, but the cleans will have me tweaking... and tweaking.... and tweaking.

I never suspected that a 4 input Marshall Plexi type of amp could shimmer and still have punch and body at volume for cleans. Roll the volume off on my guitars with single coils and work the amp for the cleans I have chased my whole life. I finally got them and man, I am digging it.

I never owned a Plexi style amp, the Bogner Ecstasy Classic in "plexi" mode was as close as I ever had. I have never had a 4 input non-MV Marshall ever; I always associated them by default with AC/DC type of rawk tones. And they do that - to a "T" - but I was ignorant, yes even with Jimi's music, that you could get this kind of clean.

I am just destroyed over the beauty and power you can have by simply switching over to the neck single coil on my H/S/S Melancon guitars and roll the volume off a touch and have the most incredible deeply satisfying cleans. I just never knew.

The Flexi did that, but it is voiced in a very modern way that doesn't do this sound. But that amp taught me a lot about this method of playing and using the guitar's volume how I'd use a channel switcher or pedalboard in the past.

The Germino Club 40 (and next week, Germino Lead 55 to compliment it :D) just have stopped me dead. I have played such a range of material with this amp, from rock to country to soul/R&B now with it *so* damn perfectly, I can't express my happiness with it. With a very spare pedalboard I can generate most anything I need or want and it is just do damn good sounding to me.

My hat is off to Greg Germino for his insane quality craftmanship inside these amps (and it is extraordinary), excellent customer service, cool and friendly manner on the phone and creating these killer amps. You da man Greg! Bravo!

And my message to those who haven't tried or just don't know, seek out a 4 input non-master volume Marshall Plexi style amp. And work the amp, push it and pull back from it, and work your pickups and volume/tone pots. Incredible cleans are there - I just never knew and wanted to point out that they are there. And they are goooooooood. :D

2. SAVROHR

SAVROHR Supporting Member

Just so I am on the same page - with the 4 Inputs are you jumping the two channels?

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Sometimes I don't, sometimes I do. I run a Y-Cable into the top inputs of both channels lately, but for a while I was preferring the top left input only. Just depends on the guitar and the tone you are seeking. I bought the Y-Cable from Bayou Cables; it is a nicely done cord. Lava Cables makes a nice one too.

4. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

I had a Clark MTC-45 (JTM-45) prototype that seemed to be great for that cranked sound that JTM-45s do so well. Great sound, but I needed an amp to do more than that--so I sold it.

I gave it one last playtest before packing it up, just to verify that all was well. I don't remember how I dialed it in, but I got the richest and most incredible clean out of it going into a THD 2x12 with an old V30 and an old Greenback.

I have never been so sad to pack and ship an amp, nor kicked myself as hard for selling something before I'd fully explored it.

5. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

With most of my 4 inputers (old thd plexi, 1971 Superlead, Jtm45,etc) I like the sound more without jumping, or y-cables. It's pretty ez on most to just dial in the same tone anyway.

ERIC

6. AD

AD Supporting Member

"roll the volume off a touch and have the most incredible deeply satisfying cleans"

Same here. the 4 input Marshall 2061x is a great surprise for cleans.

7. loudboy

loudboy Member

I have a JTM-45 clone that's been jumpered internally, and has a MV. If I open the MV all the way and bring the input volume up to about 2, it's an amazing clean tone. Like a great Tweed Bassman, with an additional bright, ringing high-end chime to it.

Loudboy

8. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Cool Mark, I had my old jtm45ri modded with the old component remake quite a few years back and it has the best and chimiest cleans, and slight breakup tones of any amp I own . Is yours a local (Nau) amp or a kit or ?

ERIC

9. jeffh

jeffh Silver Supporting Member

So it's the L55 that's on the way.

I could not agree with you more. I have gone through a million amps and now am getting back to where I started, non-MV Marshall type amps. Currently have a Reinhardt and a Germino Masonette that get all the play time. Thinking about a 50 watter now.

For about 3 years I tried a million different high gain preamp MV amps, loved the tones but something always missing. I think the "missing" was the expression and nuance of working the amp.

10. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

I do that with my rockytop and 20 watt marshall my friend. Works great don't it? Hell I do that with the Z too!

11. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Aboslutly know where your coming from.

Balls M-18 2x12 Combo + Fender Telecaster 52 reissue + Guitar Cord =

Everything I'll ever need to play from Clean to Scream with Pickup Combinations and Guitar Volume.

I cant believe I got to this point. I was allways a stickler for pedals - Clean Boost, Overdrive,...

For whatever reason my M-18 just loves my Tele and I dont need anything but the Guitar and Amp. A combination that I'm so in love with it makes me happy.

My JCM 800 does this well also and it loves my Tele too.

My freakin Plexi however has to have a Distortion Pedal to get there without killing everyone in its path and for what ever reason it dont like my Tele it prefers my Les Paul but with the Les Paul I dont get as good a Clean sound. It does however with my Keeley Modded Turbo Tube Screamer have an incredible Solo Sustain for days sound so I guess I'll keep it around if for only recording. Too much Amp to consider taking to a gig.

For the most part the Balls is my go to gig and recording amp and the rest are just extra icing on the cake.

I'm glad your enjoying the Germino in a simaler way sounds like a good combination you got going there. This is what the Gear Page is about. Threads like this get my Blood Going. Rock On Dude! :AOK

12. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

And you can play a good number of them and still not suspect it...

We have the Germino HR-100, and it has good headroom (good guess, huh?) and has really excellent punch and huge body, at pretty high volume. It has shimmer, but it isn't quite as shimmery as I've heard plexi styles though. For that, the Louis Electric 100 Watt plexi that I played once would take the cake, although that didn't have as much body as the Germino HR-100 (which has very massive girth). The Louis also had a lot of sustain.

13. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

Thanks for the review Scott. I think I've come full circle with gear and am reaching a similar conclusion as you have. Kind of the less is more approach also.

Still not sure about the Rat though! :D

14. trisonic

trisonic Member

I've always said on here that the JTM45 has my favourite cleans.
    Now I really like the cleans of the (Marshall inspired) Maven Peal "Ganesha" - the bottom end is much stronger. It astonishes me that these cleans aren't discussed much here.
    One other thing that IMO helps great cleans is the big, easy feel of a large amp.

Best, Pete.

15. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

And you can do so for a P-T-P amp, if you keep your eyes open, for $300 and change if you cop a vintage Traynor YBA-1.

Works for me.

16. loudboy

loudboy Member

It's a NAU - I got it used from a friend. KT66's, MV, an FX loop and a tube-driven reverb. I like it but it's really loud...

Loudboy

17. Priestunes

Priestunes Member

A former drummer talked me out of Marshalls and its derivatives and instead pushed me toward Fenders. I'm pretty happy, but have been eyeballing these Germinos and Bacino 18 watters for some time. But... $$$... It's all about the $$$ anymore!

18. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

yes, indeedy. exactly how I work my Classic 45 (along with delay/chorus/wah/OD on the pedalboard).

a Club 40 is coming into the fold next week.....gonna be a showdown!! :BluesBros

19. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I've had a Bacino 18w in my living room for 6 weeks. Belongs to my pal Pete.

Pete also has a handwired 18w Marshall RI - now that thye're both broken in, neither Pete or I can tell which one we're plugged in to - both sound simply WONDERFUL, and my hat's really off to Mike Bacino for making a sonically perfect RI of the classic 18w Marshall.

It feels great, sounds great, and looks great.

Mike also sent me a higher powered head to try out last year - 30w, very cool amp, just not the real me - I have headroom issues for clean sounds.

The 18w is also not the real me, at leat if I use just 1 amp at a gig, but if I ever switch to 2 amps, one clean, one gainier, and A/B/Y 'em, the Bacino 18w would be a strong contender for me.

Scott, I'm gonna try that - a 4 input Marshall type amp, lower horsepower, like your Germino 40w, and ride the guitar's controls. The best, most natural guitarist I know personally, a guy named Robert Besco, has always been scornful of my channel switching amps - even the high end ones - Tone Kings, Jim Kelly's, Marshalls, Bogners, Guytrons. He gets better cleans thru his 80w Orange Matamp than all my boutique gear, just by riding the volume & tone knobs, but the gain sound, while very lush, is pretty loud for a guy who plays a lot of weddings and corporate parties like me.

Thanks, Dana

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

welcome to the party, scott...

:BEER