It's the Fall of 1992 and Alice In Chains' Dirt hits....

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Lution, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Lution

Lution Member

Those of us in our late 30s on up today remember this time back then very well...

If you remember when this album hit and you played the wheels off it, where were you, what were you doing, and what feelings/emotions are evoked when you playback Dirt these days?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  2. Skeet skeet!

Skeet skeet! Member

Oh man. I had an intense acid peaking encapsulated by Angry Chair.

That album was a monolith.

I used to look with envy at all the people that were my age in the 70s and had all those legendary bands but I have to admit the 90s had a lot of stuff I look back at with relish.

3. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Supporting Member

The week it was released I got pinched for "shoplifting" because I opened the cassette to read the liner notes. Never mind that I had the cash to buy the damn thing.

Anyway, amazing album, but I have trouble listening to it in its entirety because it is such a DARK album (lyrically). Here's was a lot of pain in Layne's voice & maybe I was identifying with it at the time. Still. Wrecking album.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  4. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

I remember the day a friend gave me a cassette with Dirt on one side and an album by Oz band The Screaming Jets on the other.
    The Jets are a good, solid pub rock band that put on a great live show, but when i flipped over and played the first song on Dirt (Them Bones)i knew immediately that this band was in another universe.
    Huge, bone shaking riffs, sublime melodies, and lyrics by guys who were living through hell.

5. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

I bought the CD solely on the promise of what I thought they had to dish out based on Would? being on the Singles OST. As it turns out, I lucked out.
    Loved Them Bones, Junkhead, Angry Chair, and Would?
    I continued as a fan until Staley's death and bought Facelift, the EPs (loved Jar of Flies), MTV unplugged...the 3-legged dog album.

...but I had to be in the mood for AIC. It gets pretty dark. Jar Of Flies was a nice contrast.

6. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

My cousin got it for Christmas and I thought it was satanic lol. I was young, I might have seen an angry chair video or something. It scared me. But I eventually did buy it, along with a G&L and started playing guitar. Jerry was a big influence.

7. BK Verbs

BK Verbs Gold Supporting Member

I had the cassette in my Jeep tape deck exclusively for 11 months. Then someone stole my stereo. Saw them play Lallapaloosa on that tour. Freakin' amazing.

8. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

I'm about the same age as AIC, and this album was like a beacon in the dark for me. I connected with it on every level. I don't remember everything from those days as I drank most of the time. But I remember this record and it remains one of my favorites to this day.

I was very sad when Staley died.

9. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Just an amazing record. Jerry and Layne's finest work musically and lyrically.

10. wetordry

wetordry Member

I think I was almost done listening to Badmotorfinger. Dirt was great, still is.
    Alot of good stuff led up to it that never really got me all that interested...like Nevermind, Metallica, Ten....Blood, Sugar, Sex etc.....but the gasp of hair spray was a welcome change.

11. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

"Them Bones" still blows me away every time I hear it. Crushing riff, and Jerry's solo is so intense.

I was only vaguely familiar with these guys before Dirt came out. A drummer I was jamming with had a poster of the Facelift album cover in his basement. I've always thought that AIC were really lucky that they were from Seattle, and not LA. They got a lot more media attention than they might otherwise have received...

12. georgestrings

georgestrings Senior Member

Agreed 100%...

- georgestrings

13. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

I loved Face Lift and this record took the dark heaviness of AIC to the next level. The writing and performances on the record were incredible, especially Layne. There were three records that basically stayed in my car's cassette deck during that time (92-93) - King's X self titled, RATM self titled and Dirt. An epic record for me -- when I listen to it I listen to the entire record from start to finish.

This record came out soon after I got separated (and eventually divorced) from my then wife, so I remember it well. I was 27. It was a weird time for me personally -- lots of different emotions going on. Nothing to do with drugs but the albums dark themes really resonated with me.

14. taez555

taez555 Member

Given that Man in the Box had already been a pretty sizable hit with heavy rotation on the Headbanger Ball prior to the Nirvana explosion of the fall of 1991, I remember when this album came out being annoyed that the media kept trying to shove AIC into the "Grunge" category.

I kept thinking, but these guys are just an awesome rock band? Why lump them in with 3 chord flannel rock just because they're from Seattle.

:)

I was also 15 at the time. :)

15. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

Well...I wasn't 30 when I got into this album. I was about 8. Loved hearing Facelift and Dirt on rock radio back then. I'm sure my parents didn't like dark themes, but...what a great album. Definitely got me through some rocky patches in my existence.

16. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

I was playing in a band in Chicago, living in a coach house a half block from Wrigley Field and in the midst of an empty, physical relationship with a bartender at the Gingerman Tavern across the street. I heard it for the first time at her place; she had an extra copy and gave it to me.

Great album and a flashback to my salad days for sure, but so is Facelift, and I prefer that album slightly to Dirt. But yeah, AIC was my favorite of the Seattle bands.

17. Jed B

Jed B Member

16yrs old....at lollapoloza....on crutches.....in the pit.

Good f-ing times!

18. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

I was early 30's but AIC still evokes the same feelings in me that it did then. Energy. I like it LOUD!

19. cram

cram Member

This cd was played and played over and over. We were in college. I lived with a bunch of roomates and this was one of the few tunes we'd crank when we cleaned/gutted our place in prep for parties.

Back in those days (in the state of ME) you could legally drink as a passenger in a vehicle. We'd routinely get "Loops" together where we'd pitch in for gas and beer and pick a place to drive to for no reason but the fun of it.

I played music in the oldport on some weeknights as an acoustic duo and one guy could nail this stuff so I learned a lot of the tunes. I used to play down in a hole on a 12 string some nights while he filled in on six.

Great great memories.

20. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

I remember not being able to ever play that album loud enough.
    It was epic when it was released and it still holds up 2 decades later.