It's the time to decide... RK5 + H9 or Amplifire?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by snooze, Apr 13, 2015.

1. snooze

snooze Member

Hi all,

Yes, this is another "VS" thread, but I need your inputs.

Until Amplifire came out, I was an almost 100% happy owner of a Fly Rig 5. In fact, when the RK5 came out, I wanted to replace my Fly Rig 5 by the RK5 since I'm a lead guitarist and I prefer having my post before my higher gain distortion.

My plan was to by a RK5 and add an H9 for effects. This wasn't a perfect solution in my mind since the RK5 doesn't have an effects loop. I'm still not sure if the combinaison would sound great. (Opinion?)

Now with Amplifire on the market and having good reviews, I'm confused. I was almost ready to buy it until I realized that here in Canada, it would cost me around 950$! Since the effect in the H9 seems amazing, and since the one in Amplifire seems ok but maybe not as good as the one in the H9... I'm hesitating!!

I could have an RK5 + H9 for 900$...

Or... !!

I could have an Amplifire for 900$... !!

So, what would you do?

Thanks for your help!

2. jaded_musician

jaded_musician Supporting Member

I know it's not an option now, but my vote would be for the Amplifire now, try it and see if it meets your needs for effects. It actually does pretty well, if you need more save up and get the H9 to add to it when you can. Unless there's something that RK5 really shines on that I'm missing.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  3. snooze

snooze Member

That's interesting... this way I could see if the effect in Amplifire get better...

And it seems clear that Amplifire is much better than the RK5 (Can do better amp tone, with more versatility and better delay and reverb... based on feedback).

Is Amplifire able to do good delay, phaser and flanger... to cover let say, Pink Floyd basics?

4. jaded_musician

Yes, you can do a phaser or flanger, not both at the same time though. It has a variety of delay types. I'm not in front of mine right now but there is digital, analog, tape echo, soft digital, etc. I think you could pull off some convincing floyd tones with some tweaking.

5. snooze

snooze Member

That's interesting... so I guess one vote for Amplifire!

I see you are from Canada too.. so you didn't mind the CAD rate?

6. jaded_musician

I'm in California. Picked mine up off the forum here.

7. snooze

snooze Member

It's funny because there is a city called Tracy in Canada! I too quickly assumed it was the one in Canada but forgetting that Ca is for California (lucky you!).

8. AdamSH89

AdamSH89 Member

Don't know if this helps your decision, but one thing to remember is that if you're going direct, you're going to want a decent DI with the RK5 and H9 Combo. That could be in the ballpark of another $80-$100 if cost is a factor for you brother. On the other hand: if you wanted to try one option out and then sell it to try the other one, you may want to go the other route. The market still seems pretty dicey since the amplifire just came out, but I feel like the H9 has much better resale value at the moment just because it's popular. Also in my personal experience: I find it much easier to sell/trade a few small items individually rather than one expensive one.

But looking at a pure budget perspective: If you had the extra money for a DI, I'd go with the RK5+H9 combo. If you have any buddies at a venue or who are also musicians, you can probably borrow a DI box for direct sounds to see if that final piece is really worth investing in. You said yourself you were already content with your experience with the Fly Rig series. As a lead guitarist myself, I prefer to have my buttons laid out in front of me with everything having a dedicated switch. The amplifire from my understanding is a great unit, but the interface will be very different from what you are used to. Furthermore, the H9 will certainly give you more robust effects (unless I'm just that greatly unaware of how deep the effect features of the Amplifire are). On top of all of this, if you decide that after you get the combo and still find it lacking, it'll probably be easier to get rid of the RK5+H9 and buy the Amplifier than the other way around.

Also, Tech21 and Eventide are carried in stores that you can typically fish for coupons for, so there's at least potential for that combo to go just under your budget.

9. snooze

snooze Member

I have to admit that when I'm using the FR5, it's either in my studio monitor or in the effect return of an amp. Never tried it yet into a PA. So why would it need a DI? I mean, the FR5 can go direct?

I'm confused now. (which is good by the way! I need to ask myself the right questions).

Thanks!

10. snooze

snooze Member

Another thing that creates confusion in my head is using the H9 with the RK5 (or FR5). Since there is no effects loop, would that sound weird?

If I were to place the H9 after the RK5 (On which I would use the delay and the reverb), this seems the wrong order...

11. AdamSH89

AdamSH89 Member

As I undserstand the Fly rig series, it was designed to be an all in one pedalboard, as well as a direct solution when necessary. They have Tech 21's Sansamp circuit in them, which is designed to be an analog amp simulator. So you could indeed go direct with it if you desired.

And regarding the effects, the only answer I could give to you asking "will it sound weird" is: it depends. Changing the order can indeed affect the way your effects sound. However, there is no true "correct" way for ordering them. The "typical" method of ordering them is modulation->delay->reverb, but it all depends on your style. But breaking "the rules" will give you all sorts of different cool sounds. If you are a meat and potatoes sort of fella regarding effects, and you like to run them subtly, I doubt that running your modulation after your delay will give you a sound that you absolutely hate. I find that generally the wetter you set your effects, the more noticeable the order rearrangement is.

The Fly Rig and H9 combo will mean you would have to run the RK5's reverb and delay into whatever your H9 is running. And if you're using it for modulation, I bet it won't be terrible to your ears.

Let me ask you this: are you set on the H9? What sort of effects are you planning on running with it?

12. snooze

snooze Member

No not at all, it is just that I could get it for a good price and it seems to be the most complete solution. But I may consider any suggestion!

Thanks,

Mathieu

13. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I'd still get the Amplifire... By one used on here and save some $?

14. kyoungsteadt

kyoungsteadt Member

15. snooze

snooze Member

More info: I'm looking for phaser, flanger, The Edge delay, univibe and maybe some chorus. I'm not really a reverb fan but for some ambient songs that may be nice to have. Our cover band plays many things but try to limit the amount of effects I use, although I really like effects!!

16. Electric I

Electric I Member

Keep in mind that AmpliFire will expand over time & a given amp/effect not included today may very well be in the future.

17. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    If you use an H9 after the RK5, don't use the effects in the RK5.
    Have you looked into Neunaber Slate v.2 plus it's small expansion pedal?
    With this, you have 4 different effects but 2 settings for each effect. The total for that would be about $400 US. If you use that with the RK5 it might save you more.
    (I don't know what model H9 you are looking at or how much it will cost you.)

I have an RK5 and plan to get an H9 Max and a the Neunaber later this year.
    I will not be using them together, however.

18. snooze

snooze Member

Well, my plan was to put the H9 after the RK5 and use the delay on the RK5 when I would need a two effects at the time (one being a delay).

But everything raised one question: Can I have great modeling (at least as good as the Tech 21 blonde into the FR5/RK5) + basics effects like reverb and delay for cheaper or similar to the FR5/RK5?

For me, one option is that the core of my rig would be the FR5/RK5 since I really liked the FR5 (but wanted more gain so I planned to switch to the RK5) but if there is something better/different that could give me better result, I'm open! but I would have to change the poll! ;)

19. snooze

snooze Member

I should add that my ultimate goal will be to buy an AX8 from fractal... but that is pretty early to speculate on it... but all this would be a "Temporary" rig.

20. snooze

snooze Member

AmpliFIRE ordered despite bad CAD currency!!!

Thanks for your help! As some of you suggested, I may eventualy go for AmpliFIRE + H9! I know, it wasn't in the poll choices! :)