It's Thursday, time for golf talk

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Dave Shoop, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

After the disaster Woods produced last week, will he bounce back at The Farmers Insurance Open ?

Will he make the cut ?

Phil also struggled. Who will perform better this week Woods or Mickelson ?

Is it possible Woods will struggle again and walk off early with an "injury" ?

He stood tall last week and interviewed very well after the nightmare round last Friday.

Who finishes higher the week Phil or Woods ?

( see this isn't football )

2. plaintopper

plaintopper Member

I think TW shoots a reasonable round, around par, today on the easier North Course. Tomorrow the demons come home to roost on the south and he shoots mid 70s to miss the cut.

Phil makes cut but is never in contention on the weekend.

3. Bozak

Bozak Member

Sure, this is spring training for guys like Woods.

I don't think he was faking an injury like you've implied, he did after all have back surgery.

Phil is in better shape than Woods, but Phil has really lost it with the putter, going back a while now, I know Tiger has the chipping yips but I think he figures that out, not so sure Phil can get the putter back.

Woods may miss the cut at the Farmers, I think he still needs some time to get into game shape, Phil squeaks in.

4. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

Not implying "faking" but when you have pain and are losing and not in contention the will to continue can disappear. I think that's what happened on at least one of those walk offs. Same with Rory. It seems a reasonable decision. You are battling discomfort and sucking on the scorecard. You're a multi millionaire. Maybe the dislike for the press calling them quitters is what keeps them out there.

I thought Phil might walk off while struggling with the cold and rain all day last week. I wondered if it was affecting his arthritic condition.

They both played on. Phil still had a chance to make the cut until the last 3 holes.

I have to believe Woods and Phil will both bounce back. I hope so anyway.

5. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

Tiger will probably get his short game back, but he and Phil are both trying to kill the ball off the tee to keep up with the youngsters and the ball rarely goes where you want it under those conditions. They both need to except that they're not the longest hitters out there and put it in the fairway. That takes a lot of pressure off the short game.

6. Bankston

Bankston Member

Amen to that. The game is so much easier when you're hitting fairways and greens.

7. Bozak

Bozak Member

I don't think he cares about long, errant drives, he's always scrambled just fine, it's better to have a chance at getting on the par 5's in two then no chance at all.

8. dave s

dave s Member

Tiger:

Round 1 total: +2
    Round 2 total: +7
    Round 3 total: MC
    Round 4 total: MC

I don't see him fixing anything this week over last week. Hope I'm wrong, but not seeing him making the cut for a 2nd week in a row.

dave

9. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

Is it possible he may have actually been injured ?

Have you ever had a knee or back injury and attempted to play golf at the highest level ?

10. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

He no doubt was hurting. When he is in contention he fights thru when he is struggling it's understandable that he bails.

Hopefully it's a moot point and his physical condition will no longer be the debate.

11. Seth L

He used to miss the fairway a few yards. He's missing them by a couple of kilometers right at this point.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  12. D. Stewart

D. Stewart Member

Speaking of golf, a question...

Why is it that virtually every golfer on the LPGA tour needs their caddie to check their final alignment just before hitting it (... something I've never seen on the men's side btw). Seems to me one of the basic rules of golf should be that you have to figure out yourself where the hell you're aiming! Just wondering ... seems wrong.

13. Seth L

Dude's never ask directions.

14. mango

mango Member

Tiger has won a lot at Torrey Pines,I wouldn't be surprised if he does well.he likes the layout .

15. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

Fog wins

another bad tee shot and now a "back discomfort " reported

well he did have a chip in for par though.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  16. mango

mango Member

WD ,things don't look good,his swing wore him down over the years.

17. Seth L

He needs to quit swinging out of his shoes.

18. musicman10_1

musicman10_1 Supporting Member

I'm a Tiger fan but it looks like the end is here - right now. I just don't think he is going to regain any type of form based upon what I saw last week and now today. I hope I'm wrong but . . .

19. pinefd

pinefd Member

I guess he had to withdraw after 11 holes because of his back. That's too bad. I'm a big fan, and always enjoyed watching him compete at a high level.

20. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

He said the delay due to fog caused him to tighten up and he "couldn't get his gluts activated"

He has withdrawn or failed to make cut in a high number of recent tournaments entered.

His game again was very erratic from the start. A bad shot, a bad shot.... a good shot.

I just can't believe he is done yet. How much of it is in his head only he would know.