It's time...Most overrated guitar.

Curious about this. We all have such diverse leanings, but might see some agreement.

Ground rules: I'm talking REPUTATION. Tone is a subjective area, and even the crappiest sounding guitar seems to find a place somewhere in recordings.

I'll start:

PRS. I know it has kind of a cult following, but for the most part, 99% of the ones I've played have not sounded, or felt great in any notable way.

I'm going to come down on the revered '59 LP. It seems to me that this is a train that has gone out of control long ago, and nobody has bothered to either hit the brakes, or blow the bridge.

Let's see how civilized we can be here darlin' squire's.

R

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Silver Supporting Member
I'm with Mike on the Les Paul as being overrated. I still play them but there are many newer guitar designs that are more balanced sounding.

Tuberattler

I think Estaban is highly over rated. I see quite a few begginers crying the massive benefits of this brand and I've even played four of them of which I repaired two of 'em.

On the other hand I tend to like PRSi as most sound awesome and play outstanding.

The LP is a piece if you really think about that's why I will only have one, whereas I have multiple Fenders of the same model.

So yeah, Estaban is my vote

strayfella

I think Estaban is highly over rated. I see quite a few begginers crying the massive benefits of this brand and I've even played four of them of which I repaired two of 'em.
My first practice amp in years is an Esteban, lol. I always practiced unplugged before that so in my opinion an Esteban makes a great practice amp. Amp>no amp. Guitar>no guitar. It's cheap, yes, junk even. But it makes a sound. I can even peel some sweet Albert King licks out that thing, after all, it's solid state.:)

I always thought PRS was a pretty good guitar. Not my cup of tea personally but they seem to get searing sweet lead tones from them. Never heard a 59 Paul up close and personal but Paul's are pretty solid sounding stuff.

catpeople

Underrated this and overrated that threads are about as insigjtful and valuable as goatse and 2 girls 1 cup, but less fun.

beorn

PRS. I know it has kind of a cult following, but for the most part, 99% of the ones I've played have not sounded, or felt great in any notable way.
Agreed. Pretty, but no soul, in a manner reminiscent of Megan Fox.

I am not particularly impressed with the $five-figure Gustavsson Bluesmaster. Cannot think of a single song played at any time, by anyone, in any medium, whether a clip or live, that had what seemed like a standout, memorable tone.

It doesn't help the hype when Gustavsson dealers use language like "every atom of this guitar is filled with passion," or "the stars were in alignment when Johan crafted this neck."

Especially since atoms can't be passionate, and stars, which don't rotate as part of Earth's solar system, can't align from our viewpoint as planets can.

However, I reserve the right to change my mind when I've actually *cough* played one myself and thus know what I'm talking about.

Baracus

Agreed. Pretty, but no soul, in a manner reminiscent of Megan Fox.

I am not particularly impressed with the $five-figure Gustavsson Bluesmaster. Cannot think of a single song played at any time, by anyone, in any medium, whether a clip or live, that had what seemed like a standout, memorable tone.

It doesn't help the hype when Gustavsson dealers use language like "every atom of this guitar is filled with passion," or "the stars were in alignment when Johan crafted this neck."

Especially since atoms can't be passionate, and stars, which don't rotate as part of Earth's solar system, can't align from our viewpoint as planets can.

However, I reserve the right to change my mind when I've actually *cough* played one myself and thus know what I'm talking about.
Interesting post.

You say PRS have no "soul'

Then criticise another company for saying their guitars have "atoms filled with passion"

So you can measure the soul in PRS (or as you say, lack of) but you can't measure passion in atoms?

Interested to know what you used to measure the 'soul' in the PRS you played.

I think it's one or the other... you either believe in magical things like 'soul' or 'passion' in inanimate objects or you don't.

Seems you do when you want to criticise PRS and don't when you want to criticise Gustavsson.

... and carrying on from that: guitars can't have soul.

Let me guess though you have some Strats and LP's that have 'soul'. I wonder which tool on the Fender/Gibby construction lines inserts the soul? Evey guitar company should buy one.

Last edited:

footiee

ibanez. no experience with their j.custom but hell they put really kinky pickups on their prestige line.

but their lower end sa series are pretty much very worth the every dollar

echoSE7EN

In the mid-90s I dreamed of only a PRS. I mean I really thought of nothing else when it came to guitars. Then, one day, I happened into a local guitar shop and saw my first Parker. This was probably around 1998 - 1999. It was a Fly Classic in Black. It was so goofy looking to me that I had to play it. Instant love. I saved for a while, and walked in one day and bought it. $1600.10. I'll never forget it. I had told the guy I wouldn't pay more than $1600 for it. After tax it was $1600.10. That store called me later that night saying that I had paid the wrong price...I had paid Nite Fly price(s), or whatever. I hung up. I had that guitar until 2009, and it's the only thing I have ever regretted selling.

Point being...I have never looked at another PRS. Not that they are overrated, but simply that I had found something else and liked it much more. In a nutshell, everything is in the eye of the beholder, and the individual hands of each player. Since parting with the Parker, I played G&L for a couple of years, but ultimately went to AVRI Fenders. My tastes change/evolve...

newfmp3

I'm going to say Tele's. Yup, there I said it. Good yes, but not the be all end all that people make them out to be. At least not for "me". I have yet to pick up a Tele that I thought was "IT".