It's time "Two-Rock"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by steevo124, Aug 13, 2008.

1. prsflame

prsflame Member

Owners & Non Owners
    1)Feel free to post pics of your current Two-Rock amp
    No pics on hand here at work, but I can post when I get home later. I own a K&M custom, non-reverb model.

2)Discuss what speakers/Cabs it's running in to
    I'm not fussy in this regard. When I gig locally, I alternate between a Bogner 1x12 cab, with the stock speaker from Bogner, and a ZBEST 2x12, also with stock speakers. I have no idea what brand they are. Otherwise, the head is plugged into whatever cab the promoter provides for me.

3)Discuss any current and/or previous model Two Rock you may have owned, currently own or may have played through
    I have played through an Emerlad Pro, and an Opal. I LOVED the Emerald Pro. I wish they still made that amp. Great cleans, and nice lead/overdrive tones. It sounded very versatile. I liked the Gain on the Opal, but cared less for the cleans. They sounded "stiff" to my ears.

4)Discuss what model you most desire
    I'm content with the Custom.

5)Discuss how you think the Two Rock tone measures up to other boutique amps.
    I think the build quality, and the customer service is top notch. The amp is also roadworthy, and reliable.
    6)Discuss ANYTHING else about Two Rock amps.
    These amps can do so much more than the "Robben Ford" tones everyone on TGP seems to be after. I play modern rock with mine. Lots of gain on tap. I can also get very convincing 80's rock tones.

7) What amps you think maybe far superior than a Two Rock
    I have no idea. I gig amps by Two-Rock, Bogner, and Bruno consistently. NEVER had a problem with any of em':D

2. albuht813

albuht813 Member

3)Discuss any current and/or previous model Two Rock you may have owned, currently own or may have played through

I've got a Classic Reverb through a 2x12 sig cab with sig speakers. Also a Type 3 with 2x12 sig cab with Jensen Neo speakers.

4)Discuss what model you most desire

Love them both for different things obviously. Classic for cleans and Type 3 for the OD.

5)Discuss how you think the Two Rock tone measures up to other boutique amps.

Smooth. Thier voicing is very distinct. I've had a Hotcat, fender twin. I much prefer the TR's for tweakability and performance. These amps can cover so much ground.

6)Discuss ANYTHING else about Two Rock amps.
    They are easy to bias and sound great with so many different pedals. I've never had so much fun swapping tubes/ speakers since they all sound so great. My search for tone has really been satisfied in the amp arena. I even find myself frequenting the amps/cabs forum less often.

3. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

got this one recently from a TGP member, still getting to know it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Bama93

Bama93 Supporting Member

I've got a Kimock - #25 (the last one) It is a great amp - almost sold it once - but couldn't come up with what I would get to take its place :)
    I play it through a TR Sig cab with a 12-65 and a 12-65R - I am playing around with the tubes - not settled on any combination yet -
    I would love to play through the VS. 3 amp and the John Mayer sig.
    I also have a Komet Concord - Different animal all together -
    [​IMG]

5. Bad G.A.S.

Bad G.A.S. Senior Member

I would never pay $8000 + for an amp...Do you have those amps insured? Jesus....

6. theHoss

theHoss Member

Did they stop there? I read somewhere that because of a "parts discovery" they were able to build an additional 10. I believe there are 35 in circulation. I have never taken the time to ask Joe or Bill. I am curious if anyone else knows about the total number of Kimock Sigs that were produced. Plus, on the T-R site, they list them as a production amp. Maybe there a few that have yet to be sold?

7. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Here are my ex TR's.

Ruby 18 watt,K&M Custom and Custom Reverb Sig V1.

[​IMG]

Emerald 50 and Amethyst Sprecial combo.

[​IMG]

Emerald Pro.

[​IMG]

8. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Nice Sean. So I take it all of your ex's don't live in Texas?

9. theHoss

theHoss Member

10. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

:roll
    Yep.
    My best friend who lives in California now owns the E. Pro and the Ruby.
    He can't sell either of them without giving me first dibs though.:D
    Although I don't see him parting with them anytime soon.

11. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

thats 9000$ canadian eh?

12. Rick0

Rick0 Member

The craigslist Kimock can't be legit. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it was really $2,500 with a Sig cab!

13. KOG

KOG Supporting Member

I have Kimock #30.

This is a direct quote from Joe:

"We built 10 Kimock Signature amps on Custom chassis. Once we located enough parts to build more, we did a 25 run with the special Kimock graphics. So there are a total of 35"

I pray that they don't come out with a Kimock v2!

BTW, for other Kimock owners - if you have not tried a EVM12L in a TR 1x12 you don't know what you are missing!

[​IMG]

My second TR is a CRS v1 #69 (which is for sale, in anyone would be interested). Unfortunately V1's take a resale hit compared to the v2's, which is sad because I can dial this CRS v1 within a hair of the Kimock.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
    JonathanPierceBand likes this.
  14. 57special

57special Member

that amp sounded really good to all of us at the recent Ampfest. I wish i could've played it to get the feel, but we just didn't have the time.

15. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

The Opal is an amazing amp and in some respects a better Emerald Pro.

16. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Now you're making me want to load my detuned cab with an EVM 12L I have sitting in a box. The Jet head I have has a lot of potential, but haven't found a speaker that lets it be all it can be yet.

17. KOG

KOG Supporting Member

To each his own, but IMHO the EVM12L needs to considered with TR's. The detail and clarity is unmatched.

18. Bama93

Bama93 Supporting Member

You are correct- I also talked to Joe and asked because mine arrived with a stamp on the back with serial #35 - I was very surprised, because I thought that "Limited Edition of 25" meant 25!!! You certainly do not want to spend the extra $$$ on a limited run amp if they are going to keep building the amps!! He gave me the same explanation of building 10 "prototypes" and then the run of 25 numbered amps with the special graphics on the front. On my board, as you can see, it is #25 (Rear serial #35!) - Sorry for the confusion!
    I even requested that TR add that explanation to their website so that everyone would know the correct story - I guess they didn't feel that it was important.

[​IMG]

19. Bama93

Bama93 Supporting Member

Hey KOG,
    Have you tried changing any of the tubes?

Just curious.
    Michael

20. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

They made 35 Kimocks. In fact, the one that I sold to you was #29. Did you sell that amp?