Itunes s/w updates

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by markbosko, Mar 1, 2012.

1. markbosko

markbosko Member

Every time I update to a new version of Itunes I get multiple copies of some songs created in Itunes and they need to be manually deleted. Some copies don't even exist in the location specified.

Any ideas on how to avoid this? At this point, having over 13,000 songs, I don't upgrade anymore.

Thanks

2. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

itunes blows. Every time I update something weird happens.

3. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Do you have your library consolidated in one folder on your computer?

4. markbosko

markbosko Member

No,I have multiple locations. When I consolidate files, lots of duplicates are created and the originals remain where they are. When I update Itunes, it seems to find all the originals all over again.

5. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Member

Consolidation is fine if you just use one hard drive, but if you keep your itunes media folder on another drive as I do, then its not worth doing.

6. markbosko

markbosko Member

I think that I will simply stop upgrading Itunes and look for another player. At some point, I'm going to bite the bullet and go through a massive file conversion.

7. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

I would recommend moving to another media player in that case.

8. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

As long as it's just one folder on an external drive, you should be fine.

9. kugelblitz

kugelblitz Member

I would re-consolidate your library to one folder, then remove all the other random folders you have all over the place, so it doesn't happen next upgrade. Makes it a lot easier to manage having everything in the one place. I have mine setup to automatically manage my folders and copy to the iTunes folder when I import a new album. iTunes gets a lot of hate but I find it to be a pretty good music management program, especially if you have an iPhone or iPod, etc, it integrates pretty seamlessly.

Alternatively if you need your folders stored all over the place, then you need to delete the duplicates created from your previous consolidation. You can do it through iTunes, but you'd need to do it manually.

I recall at some point that iTunes changed the name of it's folder, so you may have music split accross both locations. Again, consolidation will fix it, but you have to then delete the originals.

Not sure what is meant by this. I have 4 HDDs in my PC, and my music consolidated into a folder on a seperate drive from my system etc.

10. RockManDan

RockManDan Member

its really not that hard to operate. let itunes put everything in its own artist/album folders, delete any duplicates once and for all. upgrade when necessary. Should have no problem. The people who bitch and moan about itunes are the ones who are trying to use it for things it wasn't designed to do, then get mad when they can't follow directions.

11. spamsponge

spamsponge Member

Where can I get the Koolaid that turns me into a drooling Apple advert?
    :nuts

12. sws1

sws1 Member

I have the same problem. And I only have 1 library.

No idea what causes it. And it doesn't happen all the time.

What's more annoying is that everytime I boot up my PC, it seems Itunes has yet another 125Mbyte update I have to download and install. (Yeah - it's great that the internet makes it easy to update things, unlikely back when you had floppies. But the downside is that everything always needs updating. FU PS3!!! I'm talking to you.)

13. SkippyD

SkippyD Member

Don't get me started...the whole "sync" function has wasted enough of my time that I just stopped using iTunes altogether and went back to listening to albums and CD's again.

I thought computers were supposed to SAVE us time:D

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  14. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

I have all of the same issues stated above and would love to ditch iTunes forever.

Is there a simple, straightforward platform that works AND will communicate with an iPod?

15. Warren Mendonsa

Warren Mendonsa Member

16. markbosko

markbosko Member

Seems like there should be a utility that could take care of duplicates inside Itunes.

17. RockManDan

RockManDan Member

this is ironic because if you knew me, you'd know i'm the furthest thing from one of those apple-freaks. im a staunch PC/android guy all the way, except that i think Itunes is a pretty simple and efficient program for what it does. its the only apple program i use (in conjunction with an ipod). Im far from one of those apple-cultists.

18. paulsroland

paulsroland Member

I used this and liked the results: http://www.tuneupmedia.com/

19. spamsponge

spamsponge Member

Sure doesn't seem that way. PC or Mac makes no difference to me, I dislike both about equally.

Itunes has never been anything but trouble if you want it to do anything even slightly out of the ordinary. I want my Various Artists albums to have all songs in the same directory. Try that with Itunes across a few updates if you have more than one "music folder"

20. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

I recommend you use a different media manager. You'll be less unhappy.