I've always wanted a Jubilee Marshall, finally got one

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MikeyG, Feb 22, 2006.

1. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I was waiting for a reasonably priced one (they've gone sky high lately).

I've always wanted one for the Slash tones. But I was very surprised when I heard Joe Bonomassa using one live, for more mid gain tones. He also cranked up for a really killer sounding version of "Crossroads".

I've never played one of these. I'm buying based on rep and recordings. I'm rooted in classic rock and hard rock, so I think this amp will be perfect.

Any happy owners (or unhappy) wanna share their thoughts on this amp?

2. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

I just picked one up. I've got to say that I'm really, really enjoying it. It does what a Marshall is supposed to do extremely well. I'd put itt up there with my '72 that I had, although for aggresive r&r the '72 was hard to beat. I think that the jub. is a little more versatile, esp. with fenders. Lesters sound great too, they just drive the clean channel more as expected. I play the clean channel with the knob pulled out to get more of a vintage marshall sound. The lead channel sounds like a nice marshall amp cranked with a od in front of it.

At least for now I'm happy with it, but than I've gone through about 14 different heads and combos. Always find a reason to get rid of them, and than turn around in a less than a yeaars time and but another. I hope this is it for me.

3. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I actually want one too. Seem like a few Marshall's in one package.

4. mmorse

mmorse Member

I have a 2550 which is a 25/50 watt Jubiliee in a regular black tolex box. Took me a while to get it dialed in and figure out the diode clipping thing. Has a smoother, more modern gain structure than my '82 2204. Set at half power, I can get a nice marshall crunch (with diode engaged) without the neighbors calling the cops. I use a footswitch for the lead channel that I only use for solo work. Precludes any need for an OD pedal. I've found you need to run the master and gain channels pretty high to tame the diode fizzies. It also benefits from power tubes that have an emphasis on the bottom end. Helps fill out the overall tone. The Jubes are capable of really nice tones but for in your face classic rock tones, my 2204 runs all over it IMO. YMMV.

Bare in mind these comments are based on the lower power 25/50 watt version. The 50/100 watt model may be a diffeent animal.

5. ngtubeamper

ngtubeamper Member

AWESOME amp ! One of my fav Marshalls ! LOVE the Clean Cranked --THAT is great OD ! !!!!!!!!:dude

6. vrdyer

vrdyer Silver Supporting Member

Tone King - what speakers do you use with it?

7. ngtubeamper

ngtubeamper Member

Don't know if you are asking me , but Rola Celestion G1230's believe it or not is the one I play it on . I don't own the amp or cab by the way but would love to have one ! :dude

8. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

9. bickertfan

bickertfan Member

I use my little 1 12 combo in a classic rock band. I really like the versatility of it. Currently I am using the clean channel a lot somtimes with RI 808. I have never once done a gig with it and not felt comfortable. The amp 'feels' good. I had an old 50 watt 800 series which did what it did beautifully but it lacked versatility.

10. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

Was my first "good" amp - a 25/50 1 12 combo in silver. Traded it in long ago for a tweed deluxe - which is long gone...

11. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I own a 2555. Great amp. LOUD amp. It's best tones come when really pushing the output section.... Of course the cops come when I' m really pushing the output section. I gigged with it last weekend at a pretty big club with a very small (and semi-enclosed) stage. On Friday I ran it in 100 watt mode, somewhat scaled back with an Air Brake. I angered my drummer - it was a bit loud. Something wonderful happened on Sat night. For whatever reason, I hit the right combination: 50 watt mode, a bit less gain, Air Brake, and pushed the front end with clean boost. Voila! Great tone, singing sustain, at a band-approved volume. I absolutely love the amp. Maybe my bandmates will forgive me and gimme another chance to use it live more often?

peace,

jb
    :dude

12. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

Recently I've been running my 2555 with 2 tubes pulled, at full power. Right now I prefer that to running it with 4 tubes and half power. I find it kind of gets muddy when you use the half power switch. And I can get the master up a little higher with 2 tubes pulled (than with 4 at full power).

13. SFW

SFW Member

IMHO, the Jubilee is up there with the Plexi- as far as being the top two amps that Marshall has made.

I love my Jub. However, I use is as a single channel amp. I don't touch the clean channel.

14. Ironman

Ironman Member

Congrats on a fine rocking amp! What model are you getting? I've been playing Jubilee's since they came out and it is still my favorite Marshall. My Jubilee is a 2555. It's got the balls of a JCM800 with more gain on tap. I don't care about the diode clipping, she sounds great! I run mine full power, half kinda smooths things out too much and you'll loose some punch. I run mine on the lead channel only, you can use it as a channel switcher but that'll be a compromise. The loop isn't bad, and I like it with a variety of speakers. V30, Greenbacks and Wizards have worked wonderfully for me, just different flavors of great tone.

Something to keep in mind, Jubilee's should have had their HV filter caps replaced recently. Those electrolytics can dry up which causes a loss of tone/balls. A healthy Jubilee is a thing of beauty, enjoy!

15. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

i have a SLASH jubilee head and i use a bottom marshall cab w/ GT75's and its off the hook good,i have that sorta steve stevens sound going on w./ its realy realy realy nice,best marshall i have owned by far.....BUT! i am a guy that swaps gear around and i might have to sell to aquire a SLO that i wanted when i was a teenager but couldnt afford.i wonder if i am making a mistake.