I've always wanted to get in better shape but.....

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by cantstoplt021, Mar 2, 2015.

1. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

My recommendation is to enjoy being skinny. As you point out, bulk doesn't do you any good at all for skiing, hiking, etc. When you're my age, you'll be spending all your workout time trying to get skinny again.

I'd recommend cycling, particularly mountain biking if you want to add some upper body strength and toughness.

2. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

Also (and I'm hardly a gym rat, I've just spent a lot of time an energy learning/experimenting with nutrition and fitness)...this cracks me up:

"I wanna start lifting, but I don't want to go for the big swollen look."

"I don't like lifting because I don't want to get jacked."

Do people have any idea how much effort and time it takes to obtain these physiques? Like you lift weights for a few days and one day *POOF* You are the incredible hulk?

This is the guitar playing equivalent of a guy that says "I don't want to learn theory because I have no interest in shredding. I'm a blues player."

But seriously OP - I wish you nothing but good luck in your goals. But don't let stupid stigmas or lazy ideas about exercise/fitness dictate your action. Be your own person. If it's something you want to do, set a specific goal and put a plan into action. Or don't. 3x30 minutes a week is going to be tough if you want a really meaningful transformation, but you can see some results by being consistent with the right program and really making that time count. The time itself isn't as important as the level of effort you put in during that time. But you are you are much better off making fitness a pursuit at 20yrs than at 40yrs old.

3. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I do T25 and love it. I feel and look better than ever. 25 minutes a day, done.

4. habanaerosmith

habanaerosmith Member

In a society where obesity is now an epidemic, trying to get 'skinny' is a multi-billion dollar industry. Be happy you're skinny, 'cause people are paying out the yin-yang to look like you.

Exercise-wise, it's all about habit. Plain and simple. If you don't work it into your weekly schedule and commit to it for at least 3 months, it will never stick.

For some people, that habit is easier to cultivate at home with the various 'gravity' exercises, and for some the ritual of going to the gym makes the habit take hold.

Either way, it's all about the habit.

5. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

This. It takes years of hard work.

6. s2y

s2y Member

True Fire courses have been very helpful for me keeping up my chops. I've been slacking due to increased home and job responsibilities. I'm unfortunately having to put more effort on cycling and less on guitar these days. I still force myself to do a few True Fire lessons a few times a week.

The downside is that I don't really get to see my friends these days. Really regretting this since a drummer friend of mine died and I pissed away my last chances to see him.

7. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

This.

I worked up to double-bodyweight deadlift - no visible bulk gained at all. After I improved my max pullups from 4 to 12, I also had no gain in bulk. Just a little more definition in the upper back, and no change in arm size at all.

A lot of initial strength gain is just from training your CNS (central nervous system) to use your existing muscle fibers more efficiently.

8. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

I like the excercize machine commercials on TV. I guarantee not one of the ripped fitness models they use got that way by using some machine "only 20 minutes a day!!!".

9. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Yeah, I'm sure they got hired because of how they already look.

Typical workout for me, including warmup and cooldown, is about 30 min. I don't look like that though, especially not under my current program, which is not focused at all on fat burning.

10. The Funk

The Funk Member

The most efficient way to do it, in my experience is Crossfit.

Go 3 times a week. It is lifting, but, its interesting, complex lifts, for the most part, and because its instructor lead, its not like going to the gym and lifting by yourself. You are done in an hour, and you will get stronger. You will not get huge doing this, as thats not what it is designed to do, but you will get more in shape, and I find it helps with discipline in other areas.

The only other way to get in shape, I've found, is to work it into your life in other ways, so that you can't avoid it. This mostly works for cardio. For example, I bike to work 20 miles round trip 3 days a week. That way I basically get 2 hours of cardio in each day, where I normally would be spending the same time sitting in my car. No extra time spend, but I get a workout.

11. brookshubbert

brookshubbert Member

Checkout muscles for life for no nonsense help

12. Madsen

Madsen Member

the times i've been in my best shape is when i found healthy activities i enjoy doing. swimming, hiking, ect. the less it feels like a chore the more likely you'll stick to it.

13. DCFanatic

DCFanatic Member

Wake up a half hour earlier and go for a jog?

Might as well start now, staying in shape definitely does not get easier with age.

14. All_Thumbs

All_Thumbs Member

+1

Despite what some people are saying, you can get very strong in three 30-minute sessions per week if you do it smart. HIIT training is extremely effective unless you are trying to get really big, and it takes relatively little time.

Pushups, pullups, dips, squats, and leglifts are all great and don't require much equipment (just for the pullups). You can get very fit and strong with just these. But if you are willing to do a few additional targeted exercises with dumbbells you can really improve your results.

Heavy weights are both unnecessary and much more likely to cause you injuries, so I would avoid that unless you are really trying to bulk up.

15. iggy23

iggy23 Member

16. Brutus

Brutus Member

If you're bored lifting weights, you're doing it wrong. You have to commit to every rep all the way up and all the way down, and that leaves no time for boredom. Extraordinary results come from extraordinary effort. If you cruise, you lose. Not working hard enough is EPIDEMIC in every gym I've ever been in.

17. pgoon

pgoon Member

may try adding creatine supplement with Protein drinks - but you need to lift if you are doing this - ... even kettle bell or dumbells/pullups at home is enough if you do it regularly I think.. with intensity.. im not an expert...

18. cantstoplt021

cantstoplt021 Member

Well I went for a short run today. I'd like to start running daily as its probably more in line with what I like doing fitness wise (hiking, biking, skiing, etc.) It's up to me though if I continue. I started off with a short run, which I think is good. Whenever I try to get into working out I always overdo it and it's probably a big reason why I've never liked working out. I could go out and run 2 miles today, but it wouldn't be fun or smart. Let's see if I stick with it. I know running is great for depression too, which I have a mild form of. Nothing major, but it would be great if I could be happier all the time

19. Sid

Sid Member

It just doesn't seem like you want it enough or that its a priority, so you might be better of spending that 30 minutes in taking some time for yourself(since you are so pressed for time)

Even if you had 2 hours a day for 6 days a week, getting the "bulked" look will take years...if it ever does...so don't worry about that

If you are serious about it, it seems like if you can give about 5-6 hours a week and you take up calisthenics/bodyweight exercises, it might get you on the right track

20. thornie

thornie Supporting Member

Agreed.

Working out is exactly like practice. It takes the same kind of discipline. You also need clear and realistic goals. How fit do you want to be? How much technique on a given instrument do you wish to possess? Answering those questions will give you a realistic idea on just how much you'll need to practice, and how much you'll need to workout.

If you want to play like John Petrucci, or Guthrie Govan you'll need 5-6 hours a day of dedicated ORGANIZED practice. If you want to look like Brad Pitt in Fight Club or The Rock, you'll need to be in the gym every single day for 1-2 hours for at least 2 years.

It all comes down to what you want. I've found that many guitarists who are very good, are in terrible shape. It's the nature of practice. You're sitting in one spot for 6 hours a day listening to a click. It happens. If all you want is to be "healthy", then I would start by DIET. Let me repeat that, DIET DIET DIET. Eat clean, eat healthy. If you are skinny, it's because you aren't eating enough. Period. Wake up 30 minutes earlier every day and maybe jog around your neighborhood. In 3 months, you'll be in great shape. Will you have a Brad Pitt 6 pack? No. But you'll definitely be counteracting the damage you're doing to your body with all that practice.