I've Become a TGP Heretic! I'm an EMG Convert

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by c_mac, Apr 3, 2015.

1. c_mac

c_mac Member

I can't shake it fellas. I have a set of EMG-Ts in a Telecaster and an S set in my Reverend Six Gun III. They are simply awesome!

I play a lot of country but also play with a good amount of gain at times. These things do both really well. I can't get over how twangy and snappy both sets are. That was my big fear initially. Plus, they are dead quiet.

I had tried some SAs in the past and thought that the neck and middle positions were too dark. The T and the S set do not have that problem at all. Very clear and bright but in a pleasant way. I've always been a big Vince Gill fan and he sounds amazing on his black Strat so I don't know why I waited so long to try the S set.

I've even tried the GFS RedActives for the last several months in my Reverend Eastsider T (I added the middle pickup). They are actually very good but would probably be compare more to the EMG SA set as they tend to be a bitter darker (the pickguard takes two Strat pickups). However, the Tele bridge pickups are both VERY good and comparable to each other.

I know the arguments for passives over actives and I by no means think that passives now suck, as I plan to keep them in some of my other guitars, but I'm really enjoying these EMGs and plan on doing the vast majority of my live shows with them.

2. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

Some people prefer vanilla ice cream, some prefer pistachio. Nobody is "right". Play what works for you. :)

3. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

:mob Heretic indeed! By TGP rules this must not be tolerated! Bear the torches and pitchforks!

4. Dumo

Dumo Supporting Member

EMGs work well with multiple effects layering. Passives mush out. I like a 60 in the neck position. Very clear and balanced.

5. Dumo

Dumo Supporting Member

Btw. They have less magnetic string pull so you can raise them up close to strings for better tone.

6. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

The EMG T-set is amazing, isn't it? I have 'em in my #1. You think they're great now, though? Try replacing the tone control with the EMG SPC control.

I recently upgraded my old EMG T set to the EMG-X set and 18v (luthier carved a battery compartment under the pickguard for me). That, a stacked volume/tone, and the SPC, and it's the most tonally flexible guitar I've ever played. Plus it's dead silent even under the worst lighting systems.

I also have an 85/60 set in an old Japanese neck-through. It's a good "do everything" guitar when I need to bring something along to a gig that doesn't worry me.

7. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

Welcome, my friend!

I don't care how 'un-TGP' they are, but they are hands down my favorite pickup in Strats.
    Loud, clear, great with high gain, great with low gain.
    The DG20 in a hardtail have been my two main guitars for going on 15 years.

8. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

EMG actives have always had their own vibe.

Their passives have sounded like they were lacking to my ears. Perhaps they've sorted that out over time?

9. caspa

caspa Member

I think many people who hate EMGs haven't tried them, especially some of the newer models. And people will use 'always on' pedals but not EMGs?

Glad you're enjoying them, to me they're the best solution to noiseless single coils. I definitely agree on the SA series in the neck and middle - they're too dark for single coils... but it's by far my favorite strat bridge pickup of all time, some sort of strange combo of tele and p90.

And EMGs with silicon fuzzes... sooooooo good. Clean up like no other

10. sleewell

sleewell Member

I love my EMGs

I have them in a usa strat. the sa sa 85 set.

so much hate and i just dont get it. people claim they dont have dynamics and that just isnt true. people say they dont clean up with the volume knob and that just isnt true. people say they are ice picky and that also is just not true.

11. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

EMG's have their use for sure! Had a LP that really woke up when I put a set in there...

12. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

Emg's can really be the way to go for folks, despite the bashing they receive by some purists. Back in the 80's people couldn't put them in guitars fast enough, but you really had fewer choices back then as well. In a blind test we did they always came out ahead, but the non conformist looks (and the battery you had to change out every year) put some on edge

13. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

EMGs didn't hurt one of the BEST tones ever recorded...especially from a live performance.

14. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Supporting Member

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    What's wrong with EMG's? The SAV X set I recently installed sound great. Couldn't be happier.

15. c_mac

c_mac Member

"Sterile" is the usual word used but I just don't hear it all. These are the most lively and responsive pickups I've used.

16. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Member

EMGs, poly finishes and digital effects - the tan pants brigade "axis of evil"!

17. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Knopfler.
    Gilmour.
    Keneally.

You're not a heretic.

:banana

18. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

I'd be quite interested to try EMG single coils in a strat, I think the Gilmoure strat has them, so they can't be all that bad :D

19. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

The red one, at least, did. And they sounded great in there :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  20. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

What I don't like is the volume knob is just that, it only controls the volume. 10 sounds just like 6 only louder. Passive pickup volume is really just another tone knob if you think about it, im sure many people dont wanna give that up. At full chat however, I would bet most guys could enjoy emgs when compared to passives