I've been thru the LTD and Burn Unit....am I gonna like the Small Fry?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Big Bob, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

It seems that every Barber pedal I've tried has a slightly rolled off high end that gets to me after a while. Is this just part of his designs? I haven't tried the Small Fry yet...no one has em in stock. How would you say it compares to a Bb Preamp/

Thanks!
    Bob

2. fyler

fyler Member

the small fry is the one channel, no fx loop version of the burn unit. maybe you just don't like the way dave voices his pedals. personally, i love the way my LTD sounds. i wasn't crazy about the burn unit, though.

3. uberschall

uberschall Supporting Member

I could not get my Small Fry to sound like my BB- for me the BB was better and more natural. I couldn't get the SF to sound as good at low or high gain sounds as the BB. Also, to my ears, the SF sounds much more tweed-ish than the BB's british tone.
    The SF did have some nice compression with that dynamics knob- my favorite use for it was adding a little attitude to clean tones. I didn't think it lacked in high end, at all- and very adjustable for more. I've had 2 DD's and the SF; they sounded a little clouded and congested in the mids. Haven't tried the LTD, but would like to. The only Barber that's been a keeper for me is the Tone Press. MI Audio has been killing for me in the OD department.

4. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

I've got alot of Barber pedals and don't hear any rolled off highs. Did you take the backs off and tweak the adj. pots?

5. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

I have a direct drive and I do think it rolls off some highs but I like it that way. One thing I do notice about the Barber pedals is they have a very pronounced midrange. Not necessarily a hump like a TS type but its just different and definitely not good into my Classic 30.

6. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

I hear what you guys are saying. Maybe I'm confusing the "complex" mids of the Barbers with a high end roll off. I have done some tweeking of the trimmers but still feel a loss of high end detail. A subtle thing for sure. I've owned the Sliver and Black LTD and the BU. I thought the Small Fry might be different.

Thanks!
    Bob

7. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

I've had a handful of his ods in the past. Like guittguy said, they don't have any fizz to them. I think they are too smooth and sound like a pedal rather than an amp overdriving. They sound a little artificial to me. I do really enjoy my tone press though. I think Barber has some great concepts going, and like the quality, but the ods didn't work for me.

8. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

I think some of the brighter OD's just don't work for me. Too shrill with Fender-style inputs, bright switches, etc. I've tried a bunch of the best (excluding Eternity, CJOD) but haven't found something I like more than my BU-II. If anything, I felt it needed more bass, or at least needed to match the bass in the amp (unity). I always run it into a Voodoo-1. When you tweak the DYNAMICS and TONE, you can get a lot of different colors, so much so that other pedals become redundant IMHO. Guess pedals are like amps, some are better than others even from the same maker, or the rigs are better suited to accept different things. Guess it all depends on the guitar, amp, signal chain, etc. Lot of variables.

9. Ken

Ken Member

I have both the DD & SF and I am very happy with these because they are smoother without the Fizz!

It's personal taste, but for me, I enjoy overdriven tones on the smoother side of the tone palette...Maybe thats why I have only been using my TIM pedal as a boost lately...

10. Dendog

Dendog Member

This is my first Barber pedal, bought unauditioned based in large part on the reviews here and at the Barber message board. I've been using the Small Fry about 2 months. I do think the Small Fry is a bit on the Fendery (read refined) side, but I put it into a JTM45, and by doing so I get back all the attitude, and then some. Plus it's unbelievably great in previously unbearable low volume situations. That dynamics control can give you that saggy GZ34 feeling at modest levels.

And today Mr. UPS has a Barber Launch Pad and a Godyke Step up transformer for me.