I've bought into the hype

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by relix63, Sep 14, 2008.

1. relix63

relix63 Supporting Member

I read about all sorts of great amps here and I always wonder if it's all just hype. When it comes to D13 amps, I am now a believer. Wow!

I had the pleasure of auditioning a number of these amps this weekend and I was very impressed. Played the FTR 37, RSA 31,
    Low 17/39, CJ11, and the JRT 9/15. All of them sounded great with my Strat but the 9/15 just blew me away. This was the head and 1-12 cab version. I can honestly say that it had the best sound I have ever heard coming from me. When people in a guitar shop stop what they're doing and listen to me play, you know it must sound good. Usually I'm a hack so it was strange to have these folks compliment my sound.

I will be ordering one as soon as I pick a color. More expensive than I'd like but I don't see how I can pass it up.

2. grayeyes777

grayeyes777 Active Member

great amps man. good luck with the second mortgage... LOL.

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Bought into the /13 hype? You and a WHOLE BUNCH of other people! :D

Congrats on the fine amp!

4. tonio19

tonio19 Member

I'd have to agree with the statement "What Hype"...?
    I have played 3 models of the 13's, and there is no hype.
    They were all top tier performers, no question.
    However, and this is not meant to discredit them, or your story in any way.
    You always, always have to consider the source, and what most likely motivates it/them.
    I remember having a really good looking sales girl telling me that this butt ugly shirt made me look "Hot", and that "She" really liked it.
    No kidding? And why would she say/act that way....$$$$
    Do you think she wanted to sell me an amp?
    No, but she sure wanted to sell me that shirt though, and was more than willling to lie about it.... (and then probably a whole bunch of other crap if I fell under her sales spell).
    Now I am sure that you did sound pretty good playing through the 13's, heck, I even sound OK (on a good day) when playing through great equipment like that.
    If you want to hear it straight though, bring your own listening section with you and listen to what they think.
    Of course, you already know these amps are top 10 in most guys lists.
    Probably top 5 in a lot of others.
    Don't be impressed with the sales staff at a store who wants to sell something is all I'm suggesting here.
    And of course Divided by 13's do rock, here ye hear ye!
    P.S. I didn't buy the shirt.

5. relix63

Interesting observation. Obviously, you need to take salespeople's opinions with a grain of salt because they want to sell things. I've been doing business with this store for about 15 years so I'm not too concerned about their motives. In this case, it was other customers that were commenting on the tone.

Any way you look at it, the amp flat out sounded amazing. I've discounted too many amps right off the bat because of the perceived "hype". I now wonder what else I've been missing out on. Maybe I should find a Komet or Two Rock to test out.

6. tonio19

tonio19 Member

Funny you should mention checking out a Komet, and a Two Rock... in your Divided by 13 post.
    Just last week I put a deposit on a new Komet 19 after trying and loving the Komet 60. Everything but the volume, I should say.
    And prior to playing the 60, I think the amp that most impressed me to date was a Two Rock Saphire.
    And based on the specs, I "Think" the Two Rock Jet might be the model I'd really like best (of the Two Rocks).
    In fact if I was told that I had won my choice of either of those amps, and all I had to do was walk away with 1 of them.... I'd be standing there pondering for quite a while as these have been the best tone machines I've ever played.
    And if for any reason I am not 100% thrilled with my new Komet 19...
    It will go bye-bye, and I'll audition some more Two Rocks and surely bring one of them home.
    Yes, my advice is to play as many high end amps and cabs as you can find, and let your ears and your gut lead you, ignoring the "Hype" wherever possible.
    I sure wish I could get in front of more high end (Not found at GC/Sam Ash) stuff and know for sure, rather than have to "Guesstimate" what I should like.
    Ah but so goes the quest for my holy grail.
    Good luck with your quest as well.

7. relix63

The Two Rock Jet and the Komet 19 were exactly the amps I was thinking of when I posted above. Playing the /13 kind of opened my eyes. My wife and daughter want to go to Chicago to check out the American Girl store downtown and I'm thinking this would be a good time to take my favorite guitar and audition some nice amps. Who knows what I might find. I think it was easier when I had no money. Then all these options didn't matter because I couldn't buy them anyway.

8. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

If you're going to Chicago planning on checking out gear, you HAVE to go to Make 'n Music. It is flat out the best guitar/amp shop I've ever been to.

9. relix63

I was just on their web site and they sell just about everything I could ever want. That will be my destination.

10. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

Good luck with the 9/15...I loved mine. You'll find even more tones in there as you spend time with it.

11. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I know how it goes with the Divided By 13 thing - I was blown away the first time I plugged into one as well. A couple weeks later - I got one! Congrats! I'm sure you'll dig the 9/15. That's one model I'd like to try!

12. mprvise

mprvise Member

My 9/15 was purchased right after a fellow TGP'er plugged in at a music store. The sound literally stopped me in my tracks. Great little amp with a HUGE sound.

13. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

You wont find /13 or Two Rock there, ironically enough.
    You WILL find Bogner/Victoria/Roccaforte/CarolAnn/Diezel/Fender/65 London/Suhr/Dr.Z/Fuchs/Louis/Mad Professor/Orange/Soldano/THD/etc. :eek: :drool

The /13 can be seen at Chicago Music Exchange...not sure where Two Rocks are in Chicago?

S.
    j

14. mitch236

mitch236 Member

Why not convince your wife to go to NYC? They have an American Girl store there and Ultrasound music is there too!

15. relix63

Now that's an idea. Wouldn't be too hard to convince the family to go to NYC.

16. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

D13s are sick amps and worse they have an addictive quality to them.

I'm already working on acquiring a 3rd one.

17. relix63

If they're addictive, maybe I better not buy one at all. :bong I tend to over indulge.