I've chosen the wrong DiMarzio middle pickup for my Ibanez. I need advice

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pinfloi, Jan 16, 2006.

1. pinfloi

pinfloi Member

Hi.

I've installed this pickups at the Ibanez RG550LTD :

• Bridge: DiMarzio DP153 FRED Humbucker
    • Neck: DiMarzio DP193 Air Norton Humbucker
    • Middle: DiMarzio DP170 Blue Velvet Single Coil
    I'm happy with the sound of the Bridge and Neck, but I've chosen the wrong middle pickup for the following reasons:

1. It sounds too "crispy" with clean sounds.
    2. When combined with the bridge or neck the volume drops a lot.
    3. I didn't notice that the Blue Velvet it's not Hum Canceling.
    The middle position combined with the buckers used to sound better with the original S7 pickup.

Any suggestions for the middle pickup? Maybe the Virtual 2 Middle DP408?

Thanks

2. pinfloi

pinfloi Member

Well, I may correct myself: the Blue Velvet does not sounds crispy by itself at the middle position: It sounds crispy when combined with the bridge or the neck. I think it's not designed to be combined with buckers (Thou I'm conecting the middle cable to the ground at the 2 and 4 positions to cancel one coil).

3. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

4. pinfloi

pinfloi Member

Hi Chris,

That's the wiring I'm using. I've found that the sound of the 2nd and 4th positions is not so bad after tweaking the presets (I'm using the Boss GT-Pro) I can have a very nice cuack, but the volume still drops a little at this combined positions. The Blue Velvet probably has less output than half humbucker.

Thanks

5. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

It could be that you have the middle pickup wired out of phase with the humbuckers. Notice that the diagram indicates that you should wire the middle pu like that if it's a RW/RP model, if it's a normal one you should swap the red and black wires.

If it's in phase but you still find the sound too weak, since the hb's you're using are fairly hot, I'd go for something like a VV Heavy Blues. That's what I put between an Air Classic Bridge (neck position) and Air Norton (bridge position) in my bandmate's Warmoth LPS and it balances quite well with those (it's also very nice on its own). Your setup being a bit hotter, maybe even a Solo would do the trick.

Notice that with a VV if you still want the humbuckers split and hum cancellation in positions 2 and 4, you need a superswitch as shown in this alternative diagram:

http://www.dimarzio.com/media/diagrams/B.pdf

6. pinfloi

pinfloi Member

Hi Carlos,
    The VV Heavy Blues DP403 looks like a good option to compete with the FRED and the Air Norton, and the RG550 has a switch that allows that connection, so I'll go for it.
    I didn't think about the different signal outputs when I did choose the middle pickup. :jo

Do you know about some charity society that accepts 3 days used pickups? :eek:

Regards,

Manuel

7. A440

A440 Supporting Member

if you dig the in-between sounds and want them to be hum canceling, you should use a std single coil.

I had a similar problem many yrs ago after changing out the pickups in my 550. I believe I had to do a little wire switching in order to correct the phasing. also, experiment with all the pickup heights if you're looking for less of a vol dropoff in the 2 and 4 positions on the switch.

fyi, I believe Dimarzio does have a return policy if the BV isn't what you're looking for...

8. dbx

dbx Supporting Member

This is true...(you bought them from a dealer?)...call them up and talk with them about what you're trying to accomplish...they'll advise you on a suitable option and arrange replacements...

:cool:

9. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Actually Dimarzio will gladly exchange them within 30 days!

By the way, are you auto splitting the 'buckers when in combo with the middle? If you are, I would think the Blue Velvet would give you a great combo tone.

Here is my Blue Velvet middle:

Middle

Here are the combos with Blue Velvet
    Bridge/Mid, Neck Mid, All

I would also consider the Cruiser for the middle if you are looking for a slightly thicker more "Strat meets P-90" tone

Harry Jacobson
    www.harryj.net

10. pinfloi

pinfloi Member

I'm sorry Harry. I don't know the meaning of "Auto splitting". :eek:

Thank you very much for the samples. Besides the volume problem, the tone I'm getting is not very far from that; maybe a little bit more "crispy" when in combo.

11. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Auto splitting is when a 5 way switch cancels 1 coil in a 'bucker when in combo with the middle so you retain hum cancellation as well as get a more strat like tone

You may be looking more for a thicker tone like the pro track or cruiser

12. pinfloi

pinfloi Member

Thank you very much, and sorry about my bad English.

Yes, I'm connecting the middle connection of the buckers to ground at positions 2 and 4, so I use only half bucker in combo with the middle pickup.

I've just recorded this sample using the Middle (BlueVelvet) + Bridge (AirNorton)

http://www.lohengrinaudio.com/Varios/@sultans1.mp3

I'm convincing myself that the sound is not bad. I'll experiment with the pickups heights before deciding to change.

What about reversing the positions of the buckers?
    Now I've got the Dimarzio Logos as shown at the manual:
    http://www.dimarzio.com/media/diagrams/C.pdf but I'll see what happens if I change it.

Harry, the information at your web is very good. The wiring of your Tele is great: with all that switches you can get every possible combination.

13. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Thx :)

There are some outrageous diagrams on my site that our very own Carlos Lorenzo from this forum designed.

I LOVE my Air Norton in my Godin Flat 5! It splits to 5.30K and the Blue Velvet is 6.0K. There is no reason that you would not get a SUPERB combo tone!

The second solo in this tune is the Godin Flat 5 with bridge Air Norton http://www.harryj.net/beckish.mp3

Regarding the combo tone, I absolutely recommend canceling the bridge coil closest to the bridge. as that is far too bright. Make certain that opposite coils are active, and turn the pup around if you need to. This will give you a far richer "quack" tone.

Your clip sounds like you are using the coil closest to the bridge. I believe you will be very pleased after you turn it around!

Repost a clip after you do

I also like canceling the neck coil closest to the bridge. That will also give you a great rich combo tone

Harry Jacobson
    www.harryj.net