I've come to the conclusion that my Super Reverb is best without pedals.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JDavisNJ, Jun 19, 2008.

1. JDavisNJ

JDavisNJ Member

Yep...

I mentioned in another thread that I wasn't satisfied with my Super Reverb and overdrive pedals. Messed with the settings, used different pedals, just didn't like any of em.

So, I messed with the amp settings more, added more mids, cranked her up like usual. Bam, instant gratification with my strat. I love being able to nail that SRV/Philip Sayce tone. It's the strat tone that I always hear in my head.

Just thought I would share. I LOVE this amp.

-Joe

[​IMG]

2. JDavisNJ

JDavisNJ Member

Cranked to about 8 is my favorite setting. :)

-Joe

3. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Silver Supporting Member

what speakers do you have in there? Here's my '66 BFSR that I did Cesar Diaz mods to. I've only found a handful of OD's that I love with it...RC Booster and plain jane Tube Screamer or variations on TS work great with it. But I do love the raw sound

[​IMG]

4. meterman

meterman Member

Looks like my old '71, I miss her sometimes! :D GREAT sounding amps, mine had the CTS alnico 10s which were pretty squishy for rock but sounded amazing for blues, soul, jazz, etc. I liked mine at about 6-7 on the volume, and generally followed the 6-6-6 baseline for the EQ.

I did have an easily reversible mod done on Ch.1 which increased the value of the fixed mids resistor, giving the amp more mids and therefore substantially more gain in that channel while leaving Ch.2 unaffected. Great mod, the stock mid resistor value is 6.8k ohms, we actually went to 68k ohms which was tweedy, nearly Marshally, feedback on 3 on the volume! But 25k ohm would accomplish something similar and be more conservative. Just have to experiment to see what sounds good. Becomes a way to use an A/B box and have a clean and dirty channel, the only drawback is that the bass and treble controls on the modded Ch.1 lose their range b/c you are effectively bypassing them I guess with the mod. We also added reverb to Ch. 1 which is apparently just adding one wire....worth trying, made a great amp even better and more versatile IMHO!!!

5. JDavisNJ

JDavisNJ Member

It's actually a '68 with the AB763 circuit. I checked inside just to make sure. I'm not sure about the speakers, but they are stock.

I don't think I'll be modding it any time soon. I just love the way it sounds cranked way up with my strat. The neck pickup tones are heaven!

I can honestly say I'll never let this one go.

-Joe

6. JDavisNJ

JDavisNJ Member

I'm actually intrigued to try the RC booster with it. A nice transparent clean boost might work, but honestly I'm completely satisfied with the tone and gain when it's cranked to the sweet spot. I think my problem was I tried chasing the tone and feel of the amp cranked at low volumes, but that just won't happen.

-Joe

7. Stratofuzz

Stratofuzz Supporting Member

If you have not tried a Barber LTD SR, it may be what you desire at a lower volume. Just my experience with an Allen Old Flame.

8. JDavisNJ

JDavisNJ Member

That's funny, because mine just arrived today...haha. I wasn't thrilled with it at lower volumes. I'm gonna crank her tomorrow and check it out.

Thanks!

-Joe

9. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

10. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I'm starting to feel the same way about my Victoria 45410 Bassman. It just loves a pure signal going in and anything thrown in front affects the tone.