I've decided I need THREE KOMETS!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Young Angus, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

Okay I've reached the solid realization that I require three Komets for when I start playing world class gigs.

Pretty much one for each channel that you would usually use an amp for. One for those sexy gradual mode cleans, one for that gradual rhythm crunch/distortion, and then the other for that ultimate fast mode lead ascension into heaven type tone...ooooh yeah I can see it now :JAM

2. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

you have seen the light, young grasshopper.

3. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

No, you need six. Three for you and three for me.:dude

4. davebc

davebc Member

Congradulations and welcome aboard!
    We are very proad to have you as our newest member to the amp addiction club in the next thread, and I thought owning just two of the same amps was a symptom.

5. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

Oh I don't want two of the same amps...I want one Komet 60, one Concorde, and one lovely blue Komet 80.

See...variety a plenty! :D

6. dark

dark Member

For beginning one Concorde is more than enough!
    :JAM

dark

7. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Wonderful amps, and I could see needing one of each, but I can get what I need just running the volume back and picking more lightly.

8. PaulE

PaulE Supporting Member

Agreed.
    Very responsive amp.
    Sometimes I'll put a klon in front for a solo boost but pretty much can do everything from the volume knob on my lester.

9. davebc

davebc Member

Trust me, Your still in!

10. M I K E D.

M I K E D. Supporting Member

i'll settle for one sometime in the future...

11. Troser

Troser Member

[​IMG]

I owned Komet 60 #36 for some time... it had the best singing lead tone through an old Greenback cab that I've heard from any amp. By God, that thing was loud, though.. why is that? It seemed audibly much louder than even my 100-watters.

I'd like to get that back, or another Komet 60 some day soon. They are amazing amps if you can hang with the volume... the lose some of that "special something" attenuated.

12. BadHat

BadHat Supporting Member

what, no backups?

13. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

I love the Komet tone as well. But I learned that Komet amps are designed for playing in places where extremely loud stage volume won't be an issue. I'm a club player...and at 44 probably will allways be a club player...unless one of you know a famous band or record company that is looking for a middle aged lead guitarist that plays Black Crowes, Govt Mule style guitar!

That being said, I need to use a single amp that can get great cleans and overdrive at a medium volume. Having 2 or 3 Komet half stacks on a small club stage is not realistic. For me using an Egnater Mod 50 is. I can get overdrive and clean tones almost as good as a Komet but at a lower volume. I can also get 2 clean levels and 2 overdrive levels out of 1 amp.

If I was a rock star playing stadiums I'd have a couple Komets on stage, along with a couple high end Fenders for cleans. I'm not.

14. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Hey, nice carpet ;)

Steve E

15. MrDoty

MrDoty Member

I could never justify spending that much on a rig. I know that is a gear page no-no, but I can practice for free and make even the *******st gear sound great. caviat: komet lead tone is magical.

16. Young Angus

Young Angus Member

I know the Komet is designed for somewhere where you can be nice and loud, but the Komet Airbrake really is magic and doesn't screw with the tone much. I'm sure it does a bit but it still sounds awesome...as opposed to when I ran it through a THD Hotplate and it sounded like munched up ass!

I run my Komet 60 on full attenuation through my 212 greenback cab and the volume is actually not quite loud enough for a small stage so I've gotta crank it up a notch. The Greenbacks are slightly lower efficiency than other common speakers so that controls the volume a bit and the tone is just magic!

All this talk about my Komet is making me want to gig with it again...not to mention I fired it up the other night, gave my ears a bashing, and heard some of the best tone I've heard in ages!

I don't care if I only have the one Komet on stage, but I want to play on a big outdoor venue stage so I can let my Komet rip and it can breathe...that's where I think the Komet would sound best!

17. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

Or instaed of buying more Komets you could be like Mark Knopfler and hire a tech to change settings for you on the fly on just the one head.
    Actually that might be cheaper than buying two more Komets. ha ha

18. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

where is that komet(ish) cab from?

19. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

The guy at Vibroworld built that for Tim...it actually came out pretty sweet. I don't think they are open for business now though as the guy that runs it is Robert Cray's guitar tech and he's been out on the road for over a year....company is located in Portland, OR.

http://www.vibroworld.com/