I’ve decided that the telecaster is the greatest guitar ever designed.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by squeally dan, Dec 11, 2017.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Over years I’ve gigged with teles, lots of strats, a few Gibsons. A PRS was my main gigger for about 10 years. Having said that, it seems I always return to the tele.

Right now I’m using a used standard tele for a wedding cover band, a instrumental trio, and a praise and worship gig. The tele can handle them all.....jazz, rock, country, blues, etc. The 2 pickup design seems so simple but they cover so much ground.
    Ok, just had to put that out there.

2. adamdaniel

adamdaniel Supporting Member

Amen. A Tele and a Gretsch Duo Jet with Filtertrons is all I've ever needed.

trojanhov, Tabor, ultradust and 2 others like this.
  3. AA864

AA864 Member

I agree and have five of them. I need to stop buying Telecasters, or maybe buy more.

4. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Leo got it right with the very first one.

5. NorthenLights

NorthenLights Member

I hear you! The tele is so simple in its design. It's like the least possible to have between you and your amp. Good or bad, what you put in will come out just the way you played it. A tele is a vehicle for pure expression if there ever was one.

gigs, gerg6, bsacamano and 5 others like this.
  6. Colamander

Colamander Member

7. jklotz

jklotz Member

Yup, agreed. I keep trying to venture off to "broaden my horizons", and somehow keep coming back.

Pixies2005 likes this.
  8. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

Agreed. Been playing one for a few years now. Built a killer strat with a tele pickup in the bridge, huge improvement and have been gigging thst for a couple months. A guy sat in for a couple gigs playing a strat so i grabbed the tele again so we werent the same tone. Why did i bother putting it down.

leonard d rock likes this.
  9. RLD

RLD Member

You decided it's the greatest guitar ever designed for you.
    I don't have a problem with that, but I have designated that title to the Strat. :cool:

10. stickyFingerz

stickyFingerz Supporting Member

You are saying the Tele has been designed for the OP? :bow

11. mbell75

mbell75 Member

Incorrect. The SG is the greatest guitar ever designed. Humbuckers and thick enough mahogany to get the "chug" for any rock or metal song but still enough spank in the bridge with the volume rolled back to do funk and pop and a bridge dark and mellow enough for jazz. The only Tele I ever owned capable of a thick hard rock sound was a custom one I had made with a humbucker in the bridge. Good luck pulling it off with that wimpy ash tray single coil.

12. Redrum

Redrum Member

Yep, nothing like a good Tele to get the job done. Such solid fundamental tones, plenty of presence to sit well in a band mix and great for recording.

Nothing quite like them.

13. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member Vendor

Yep.. The tele is like the Ford Pickup of the guitar world... The F-250 is the vehicle driven by more Millionaire than any other... reason.. 'cause there's not much that ya need to do in a vehicle that ya cannot do in a Pickup truck... Can't say that about a Mercedes S class... Bimmer, Corvette, Porsche, etc etc...

rk

14. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Interesting take but this thread is for tele love. Only kidding. I used a 3 pickup cream colored sg for awhile. It sounded nice. For me, SGs and some Gibson hollow bodies just don’t feel right. I think I like them but as soon as I strap on a tele or strat, I realize how much more comfortable they are for me. Plus neck dive is a thing and it annoys me greatly.

alane011 and RomanS like this.
  15. mbell75

mbell75 Member

A Tele more comfortable than an SG?! Ok :p Thats why we have different shaped and sized guitars!

Calebz likes this.
  16. mikebat

mikebat Member

Incorrect, an SG just doesn't get clean and semi dirt tones like a Tele. Also a Tele bridge pickup is more than enough to hang with a SG bridge pickup for rock, but maybe not metal. ;)

Plus....an SG looks like a ukulele or banjo if you are over 6 foot tall, is fragile, neck heavy and doesn't hold it's tune like a Tele

17. jm9239

jm9239 Supporting Member

The SG isn’t even top 5 in my book...

bpayne82, alberob, AA864 and 13 others like this.
  18. telejammer

telejammer Member

I agree with all of you about how great the Telecaster is, in fact just bought a new one today at N-Stuff Music. Its an American Professional Tele,sunburst w/rosewood board,I changed out the pick guard and put a pearl one on it. It plays wonderfull and sounds very good, they did a good job at Fender on this model. Cant go wrong with a Tele!

19. buzzp

buzzp Member

Jazzmaster is the best. THERE I SAID IT.

Tele's are great though, but IMO they need the forearm contour.

20. bob-i

bob-i Member

Tele, Strat, les paul, the trilogy of great guitars.

Forget about innovation, revelation, evolution, they got these right the first time. Everything else since then has been takeoffs on these 3 designs.

alberob, Benderp, gerg6 and 12 others like this.