I’ve decided that the telecaster is the greatest guitar ever designed.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by squeally dan, Dec 11, 2017.

1. oldtelefart

oldtelefart Member

For me, the Tele (with a soft-V neck, ash/maple) is nearly perfect, except the neck p/u doesn't pickup 5-fret harmonics. That's been pissing me off for over 30 years.
    If you have a really good Tele, fit Barden Modern T pickups. Simply the best.

SteveK likes this.
  2. dohmar

dohmar Member

Yep. My first decent guitar (ie not a $50-$100 pawn shop POS) was this japanese e-series telecaster. Bought it in 1999 for $700 AUD which was a lot at the time. It's been very good to me

[​IMG]
    Sure its got a basswood body instead of alder or ash, and its got a middle pickup and a floyd rose, but that tone is there. And with each pickup having its own on/off (and coilsplit for the humbucker) switch, I can get strat tones out of it too. The neck is awesome, and as much as its a PITA to get parts for, the system one tremolo fitted is quite good. I've modded it a bit by removing the lock after the nut and putting string trees and locking tuners on it instead, and removing the fine tuners on the tremolo. Its perfect now, stays in tune no matter how hard its played.

-D

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    SurfGreenTele and sahhas like this.
  3. jero

jero Member

Can we still call that a tele? :dunno

4. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

5. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Never was a fan. I have one though for playing certain styles..

I think they are ugly, headstocks are weird, sound is way too bright for most things I play

6. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

with humbuckers and a tune o matic bridge??
    YES!!!!!!

7. zeffbeff

zeffbeff Member

I had a Tele. The hard contours would irritate my forearm and ribs (I play aggressively on-stage). The neck kept going totally parallel to the floor, rather than angling upward like my Les Paul or Strat.

Strats and Les Pauls all the way for me.

8. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Which flavor of TGP guitar kool aid do you prefer?

9. bismark

bismark Member

I don't know. You should know better.

10. zeffbeff

zeffbeff Member

The correct answer: Squier Vintage Modified. (Is that still the guitar we MUST buy? I can't keep track of TGP Kool Aid Flavor of the Month)

11. dohmar

dohmar Member

While it may not be to your personal taste, it's an 86 model, an e-series, which are generally regarded as the best guitars made at the time.

And, unlike knock offs and other pretenders, still has a fender logo and serial number.
    Also, unlike other fenders I've bought, I've never felt the need to replace the pickups on this guitar. It just kicks ass. Never had to change the wiring either.

-D

2HBStrat likes this.
  12. paulbearer

paulbearer Member

Hope you're doing OK!

Dexter.Sinister likes this.
  13. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Thanks!

Every day out of the ground is a good day.

Go Cat Go!! and Strategy like this.
  14. Teal_66

Teal_66 Member

Teles have their place, but it's not for me. I much prefer the sound of my Les Paul for what I do.
    Not only that, the Telecaster, in my opinion, has to be one of the ugliest guitars on Earth, Parker being the ugliest.

15. DeSolo

DeSolo Member

I'm always amazed at the vocabulary of sounds that the tele produces in the hands of diverse artists. It is THE standard, and the many other electric guitars we love are cool variations on that standard.

16. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I actually like the looks of Telecasters, in general, much more than I like the way the feel/hang on my body when I play them. I like the sounds I can get on them but I'm really a Strat guy. It just fits. To me, and I know its a generalization, Teles seem to work really well for really skinny guys or really fat guys....

Yeah, maybe, but that leaves the door wide open for any other Gibson that sounds just a little different than a Les Paul, since they all use basically the same pickups...

How can that guitar, as cool as it may be, have "that" tone when it doesn't have any of the electronics of the Leo designed original Teles?

Yes, its still a Tele because Fender says it is....

17. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

I spent the first 30 years of my guitar career avoiding Teles like the plague. Finally, a bass player that I played with for over a decade convinced me to bring a Tele to the gig one night. A friend had a really nice "player grade" 1972 Tele that had been refinished and had upgraded pickups, etc. I thought I would pick it up for a few tunes and be done with it....but something magical happened that night, my friends....I ended up playing the Tele ALL NIGHT LONG and discovered what many of you already knew - that the Tele is one of the best sounding and playing electric guitars on the planet. and that led me to Bill Kirchen, Redd Volkaert, Roy Bunchanan, Albert Lee, Brent Mason, Danny Gatton......and I had to wonder - what have I been missing all my life? it was a TELE!!!:D

DV52, buddyboy, dougstrummer and 2 others like this.
  18. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Member

A track day in an F-250 wouldn't strike me as a good time however, maybe it would hahaha! I get your point though.

19. ninjaaron

ninjaaron Member

Teles are my favorite also. I've realized that I only need two (kinds of) guitars:

A tele for almost everything, and a super strat everything else (what with the splitable HBs and the floyd and all).

It's a weird combo, I guess, but I love it. Tele gives you perfect sounds for rock, jazz, country and "indie" (which I play a lot of, I just hate that that became the name of the genre). Not too shabby for blues either.

The funny thing about a great super strat with splittable pickups is that it actually does a pretty good impression of a strat, so I can go there for strat blues sounds and surf, and it will also (obviously) cover metal great. I don't usually do much metal-sounding stuff, but I love that really saturated lead tone in a lot of '80s style playing, and a super strat will do that in spades. My Charvel actually also has an SD '59 in the neck, so it sounds good for Jazz, too. It just doesn't look right :D (I do love playing indie gigs with my Charvel though, since indie crowds sort of celebrate irony)

I used to think I was a tele and strat guy, but at some point I got fed up with trems that don't stay in tune. I'm never getting another trem'd guitar without a floyd.

20. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I ain't gonna argue with anyone making the case for the Les Paul. A Les Paul through a cranked Marshall IS rock and roll. If I could only have one though I would pick a Tele.

rhinocaster likes this.