I’ve decided that the telecaster is the greatest guitar ever designed.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by squeally dan, Dec 11, 2017.

1. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Who said that? I think the range of pickups are more consistent now—-you can get the specific wind you want for the sound and output desired. Long ago, it was the luck of the draw.

And the hardware is better. 3 barrel bridges intonate now. Plus you can get larger frets, flatter or compound radius, etc. All significant improvements for those that want something more than vintage.

2. sandcastle

sandcastle Member

It depends on your needs I suppose. I play an LP and a Strat, that pretty much covers my needs. There are so many types of guitars out there, and many to be curious of. The Tele, the Rick, something with a resonator, and so on. That's part of what makes it interesting.

3. trojanhov

trojanhov Member

Tele plus rattler will confuse anyone

4. WoodenDuckMaker

WoodenDuckMaker Member

Saying the telecaster has the best design is a hip statement.

Saying the stratocaster has a better design than the tele isnt a hip statement, but a true statement.

COYS, GenoVox and 2HBStrat like this.
  5. JGD5150

JGD5150 Member

I posted in this thread almost 2 years ago. Lots of gear changes since then. I play a lot more LP these days, both humbuggies and P90s. But I also have a couple Mexican Fenders that get a lot of play, a Jimmie Vaughan Strat and a plain ole Player Tele. It’s astounding how good the Tele is. I’ve put a 3-saddle Wilky compensated bridge on it and locking tuners, but that’s just personal preference. The modern c neck with satin finish, big frets— these guitars have good bones. The stock pickups are perfectly OK, too. For 7 bills you can get a guitar built well that can play virtually any kind of music.
    I think that is the brilliance of all of the classic F and G designs— Tele, Strat, LP, ES3X5, SG— is their sheer versatility. All of these guitars show up across genres.

2HBStrat likes this.
  6. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

Most of the world does prefer the strat.

7. DeadLazy

DeadLazy Member

Man I hate pick up trucks. Bad analogy.

I love Tele’s, though.

8. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

What’s wrong with pick-em-up trucks?

9. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

Tele and a pickup truck here...

10. DeadLazy

DeadLazy Member

Unless modified: slow; they wallow about on their suspension and lean in corners; stop poorly. And even when modified they aren’t exactly models of performance.

I like hot hatch backs. Basically the complete opposite of a pick up truck.

The Tele is beautiful simplicity. I wish Tele was my main jam but I want a trem and I don’t want to fit a Bigsby or anything.

And yes: I can easily fit all my gear in my GTI when I need to.