I’ve decided that the telecaster is the greatest guitar ever designed.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by squeally dan, Dec 11, 2017.

1. jackson

jackson Member

I slightly prefer a strat, because you can do more (more tones) on a strat, although strats are more finicky than teles. A tele can handle anything, and are simple and solid as rock. Only downsides, to me, are the ridges on the bridge plate, and the lack of the individual string length adjustment.

2. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later

No offense intended, but there are four great guitars, after which everything is similar or a me-too.
    Add the ES 335 to that trilogy.

3. ripple

ripple To keep fresh, keep capped & cold. Silver Supporting Member

4. MORE BARN

MORE BARN Member

I love my Baja Tele, it's almost perfect for me, but can someone tell me why the SG Classic with p90's doesn't destroy it in every possible way?

(left myself wiiide open on this one, lol)

Fun thread

5. rockabilly69

rockabilly69 Supporting Member

I love my Telecasters, and although I make my living as an acoustic player, when I gig electric, it's usually a Les Paul and a Tele.

[​IMG]

Here's my two...

[​IMG]
    MIM 50's Tele reissue. This guitar with it's cheap-ass ash butcher block body (however many pieces they used for these I don't know), smoked every custom shop guitar I ever picked up until I found this one. The neck is like a tuning fork! It sounded great stock, but I like VanZandt Tele pickups so when I swapped out the cheap Mexi electronics harness with .022 PIO cap, new switchcraft jacks, and closely matched RS CTS pots, I swapped pickups. It's funny as it has a slightly higher gain vintage plus in the neck, and the lower gain vintage in the bridge which has flat poles. But those flat pole pickups are right under the strings for fat mids.

[​IMG]
    Custom Shop Fender Deluxe Telecaster. I took a chance buying this one online without hearing it first. The rosewood fingerboard is dark and smooth as a baby's ass. The medium sized frets, with ends the are perfectly smooth, blend right into the slightly rounded fingerboard edge. The medium C neck on this guitar defines the shape that I like! And after owning it for awhile the Twisted Tele pickup set grew on me. The neck pickup is very Strat like (which is the only pickup I like on a Strat). And the higher gain bridge broadcaster style pickup lights up the preamps of my vintage amps perfectly. It's an alder body with a maple cap, and is feather weight! And unlike most Tele purists, I prefer the 6 saddle perfectly intonating bridge on these!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  6. ontariomaximus

ontariomaximus Member

Well I HAVE DECIDED the tele would sound better if the bridge pickup was angled THE OTHER WAY.
    I have pondered getting a left hand ashtray bridge, but maybe the pup might be a little close to the bridge on the low E side.

7. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I no longer have a tele, but the OP is not wrong.

prstang65 likes this.
  8. bob-i

bob-i Member

I'm not against that at all, I love the 335 style, my main guitar is an Epi Sheraton II.

Let append the trio and make it a quartet. :)

C-4 likes this.
  9. blowery

blowery Member

Only the lawyers and dr's.....so most of...nevermind...

10. hudpucker

hudpucker Member

You mean like when they were made of pine or did you mean when they lacked truss rods or did you mean when the bridge saddle material was changed or did you mean the top-loader bridge or did you mean....

Leo was a constant tweaker and was actively involved in the evolution of his designs.

gerg6 and Figaro like this.
  11. Teleuride

Teleuride Supporting Member

I agree with the title...

"I’ve decided that the telecaster is the greatest guitar ever designed."

I have five myself, and honestly, I want more. Everyone of them has a personality, and a certain 'quirky character' to them, but still pulls-off that amazing sound that's a Telecaster.

OddJobb and Figaro like this.
  12. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Is a 335 really that different in tone to a Les Paul?

I've tried it but I didn't like the results....ymmv.....

13. jcs

jcs Member

Still, you can custom wind a bridge pickup to fit.....over 7k resistance and A2 or degaussed A5 magnets will help add mids and take away the top and bottom extremes.

Full strength (fully charged) A5 are usually too strong in the treble and bass regions imo for higher gain sounds....it depends on the overall wind of the pickup though.

Tele pickups vary.....just like any other pickups......there are lots that dont sound typical Tele at all and are better at higher gain, fat mid sounds whilst cleaning up and getting twangier as you roll the guitar volume down if need be (which i would want anyway).

14. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Why are the screws that are holding the baffles on placed differently on the top set of speakers, when compared to the bottom set of speakers?

15. jcs

jcs Member

Actually my real 59 Danelectro DC, with a single coil lipstick in the middle, matches the Tele in simplicity and versatility .....very jangly and clear in tone.....the neck and original lipstick are stellar on the originals and i prefer the single lipstick in the middle....but i digress!

16. jcs

jcs Member

What is the pickup? Do you use the guitar volume?

Curious because i may go with a slightly hotter, middier pickup in my 96 Tele bridge...its 7.1k and very good overall with guitar volume on 10, however it gets way too thin rolled down.

Some folks dont use the guitar volume and tone controls like i do........ymmv as always.

17. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

Its a 10k pickup from GFS. I replaced a CV 50s bridge pup that was ear peircing.

I try use volume but, in most cases pickup goes too dark and I end up at full volume anyway. Tone knobs are good. Trick there is balancing neck and bridge.

If I get something else it may be in the 7-8k or, Ill got completely in a different direction and get some Wilde rails. Im a fan of noisless pickups and I have never heard one bad word said about Wilde pickups.

jcs likes this.
  18. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I have to admit... I think I agree with the OP. NOW - the Tele isn't my favorite guitar specifically. But it truly does fit so many musical situations better than almost any platform I can think of. It just fits in the musical ensemble so well.

Is it the perfect guitar? IMO - no, but its about as close to perfect in a *versatile* sense that I can think of. I find myself grabbing my Koll T style more and more often... killer guitar!

And yes, volume and tone control usage are what *finally* made me "get" the Tele thing. I was a rock guitarist with a hot rodded strat kinda thing without tone controls for so long, I forgot they existed for a while...

19. Seth L

Seth L Member

To me this is just awesome. It really doesn't get any better.

20. jcs

jcs Member

You went from one extreme to the next LOL!

Yes, the trick is balancing bridge and neck......why i like my SG's so much with all separate volume and tone makes it much easier, but hey, some players rarely touch volume or tone.

That bridge pickup just needs to be a bit fatter overall than the CV 50....Wildes are popular overall and reasonable....there are so many good import pickups now its crazy but you have to know exactly what you want and that can be tricky with a Tele and your style and rig.

amstrtatnut likes this.