I’ve decided that the telecaster is the greatest guitar ever designed.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by squeally dan, Dec 11, 2017.

1. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Legend has it that the tele filled the role of a bass in a lot bands. So the bassy "dark circuit) position on the original tele wiring scheme makes a lot more sense in that context.

supergenius365 likes this.
  2. Rossi163

Rossi163 Supporting Member

"I’ve decided that the telecaster is the greatest guitar ever designed"

It took you until 2017 to figure this out?

3. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

There are two basic things I like about a Tele type guitar. The first is the way they hang puts my wrist in a comfortable place. A Strat binds my right wrist. Making it very awkward to play. I don't like to pick over the neck pickup like I always end up doing on a Strat. The second biggy for me is no tummy cut. My tummy is too big and guitars with that cut make the bottom of the guitar roll out too far. After that it's all about neck profile, hardware etc., which are variables that can be made to suit the individual. I have some pretty nice guitars but my real workhorse is a Tele I had a local guy make for me with lots of little details that suit me as an individual. I had him make the neck with the truss rod accessible from the top, a 20" radius with SS frets shaped like 6105s, the back of the neck is profiled somewhere between a pre-war Gibson V profile and Epi shape from the 50s, Gibson switch, Babicz bridge, moved the volume pot a bit closer to the tone pot, and Dimarzio Area T pickups. If it weighed a pound less I would be 100% happy but as it is I'm 99% happy! It's a great looking Blackguard/blonde Tele with my personal tweaks. As a joke I had another friend of mine take the Fender logo and cut the bulb part off of the 'd' so now it says Fenler. Nobody notices it until I point it out. I laugh every time! One of these days I plan to get some pin stripes.

MORE BARN and amstrtatnut like this.
  4. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

Fenler. :spit

5. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Yes! “airier” and more open. :)

DV52 and LeicaBossNJ like this.
  6. TheSmeeze007

TheSmeeze007 Member

It’s amazing everything that Leo Fender got right the first time around with the Tele design. I have a Suhr Tele with a roasted maple neck, 10-14 radius, and traditional Tele bridge. It just does everything, rings like, a bell, and lead lines sound fat and twangy. Nice and squishy neck pickup with some give to it, and the middle position that sounds a little bit like the les Paul middle position. Such a great design, and so versatile. I’m a strat guy myself, but I wouldn’t kick a Tele out of bed.

Fat tone79 likes this.
  7. MORE BARN

MORE BARN Member

Same exact scenario for me. Even though I have no stomach, my right arm lays on the Strat's contour and this angles the guitar up toward the ceiling, which now makes me crank my left wrist awkwardly in addition to the right wrist.

It's just all wrong ergonomically for me. Tele is perfect as far as Fenders go for me.

8. paulbearer

paulbearer Member

Speaking of Old Pine and No Truss rod... If you dig Tstyles, you owe it to yourself to try one of these:

9. rockabilly69

rockabilly69 Supporting Member

Oh I forgot, here's another one of my guitars with the Tele shape and the 25.5" Scale:)
    [​IMG]

ripple likes this.
  10. Mighty Melvin

Mighty Melvin Member

Yes, even if you don't like Telecasters, the Telecaster is The Electric Guitar.

That tone control thing isn't working out for me, though. With it wide open the guitar sounds like a Telecaster. With it turned down it sounds like a Telecaster with the tone control turned down.

rawkguitarist likes this.
  11. Tunesketcher

Tunesketcher Member

Oooh and you came out swingin'..gloves off huh? Get a proper Tele..may just change your mind..;)

mbell75 likes this.
  12. Mighty Melvin

Mighty Melvin Member

Amen. The bridge on a Strat is way to the right and if you have long arms your right elbow is gonna be scraping the ceiling.

13. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

My dearly departed pickle finish snakehead from RK was a lively and fun guitar, fer sher. Would rather have it back, but chemo-costs beckoned, alas.

14. Comanche5

Comanche5 Member

Some of my guitar heroes including Santana, Krieger, and Clapton played an SG. I've even owned an SG. But man... that is one ugly guitar. And Jimmy Page helped create hard rock on Led Zeppelin I with a Telecaster.

15. mbell75

mbell75 Member

Had two, didn't like either. Too thin and twangy sounding no matter what I tried. Thats why I finally had one custom built with a SD JB (SH-4) in the bridge and a SD Hot Tele in the neck. Finally had the beefier sound I was looking for but the wood started to deteriorate and I got rid of it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tunesketcher likes this.
  16. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Supporting Member

Might be true if EVERYBODY needed that type of tone,but obviously...........:rolleyes:. I say this as an individual who personally doesn't believe in/subscribe to the concept of an 'end all,be all' in any area of life, but with that said, I certainly am a big fan of the Tele. Always have been! AAMOF, I'm having one modded a bit by my luthier @ the moment.......bought a used American Special in the LPB finish (lovely colour),with tortoise guard.Totally looks like something Mr.Page would dig!! :cool:

17. darkbluemurder

darkbluemurder Member

Love Telecasters of all kinds. For years I wondered why I seem to love Teles much more than Strats or Pauls. I now believe it is the immediate attack of the Tele which no other guitar has. My favorite "Les Paul" now is a dual humbucker Tele.

18. guitz

guitz Member

always disliked them intensely, save for the times where you want that ratty tone. the perfect guitar for me was when EVH figured out the phattest mid-range heavy squawk you could get for heavy rock was by using a bridge humbucker and put it on the ergonomically perfect strat body. Super indeed!

19. bismark

bismark Member

The Tele is just another traditional guitar design. If you think it's the greatest ever, then you're drinking the TGP's Tele Kool Aid.

zeffbeff likes this.
  20. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Member

I agree that Leo got it right the first time. I much prefer Teles over Strats. Now modded superstrats are a different beast all-together...

But I prefer Les Pauls over both and I personally believe that for me, the very best guitar design of all time is the Les Paul.

That being said, I have not yet owned all guitar designs. And I am curious for Flying Vs, Explorers, etc.