• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

I've got 12 string GAS....

ChuckR

I'm seriously considering an Ibanez Artcore AS7312 12-String. Basically a 335 with 12 strings. Anyone have one? I played it in the store and fell in love with it. There is really only one review on YouTube and that guy is blasting the guitar because the nut needs some work. It's a $500 guitar!! Needing some touch-up work surprises him???

Any thoughts or experiences with this model?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AS7312TCR

tochiro

I was tempted to buy it recently but finally chose the Danelectro 12 strings. I was looking for the kind of 60s Rickenbacker sound without the budget and the Danelectro is the right choice, I don't regret it. I thought the Artcore would sound too dark for that...

ChuckR

I was tempted to buy it recently but finally chose the Danelectro 12 strings. I was looking for the kind of 60s Rickenbacker sound without the budget and the Danelectro is the right choice, I don't regret it. I thought the Artcore would sound too dark for that...
The problem I'm having is trying to FIND some 12 strings to play! I stumbled across this one by accident. I have no idea where to find a Danni in my area and I live near Philadelphia! I would hate to buy something I've never played. Especially something like a 12 string. I played the Dean Boca and the neck just felt too chunky. I'm mostly a Fender guy and don't like those chunky Gibson style necks. Where did you get your Danni from?

Jason_77

I was SOOOO tempted to buy one when I saw it. I still think about it, actually. Looks great, sounds really good, affordably priced... what's not to like??

HarpBoy

Have you considered the Fender Strat XII? They haven't made them since 2010, but I see them from time to time on eBay and they're not outlandishly expensive. I found one last year, after keeping an eye out at the stores in my area for 4 years.

It's a pretty sweet sounding guitar in a familiar configuration.

tochiro

The neck of the Danelectro is relatively easy to play for a 12 string. I bought it without trying it because I could not find any in my area. I bought it here: http://www.worldwidemusic.co.uk/danelectro-dano-59-12-string-electric-guitar-black-923-p.asp I did not know that shop and it was the first time I bought from them. Everything went well. Perhaps you should find a shop in the US with a good return policy.

Be prepared to find the neck of a 12 string bigger and needing more pressure from your fingers than a 6 string. I tried a Rickenbacker a long time ago and it was a nightmare. The Danelectro is ok.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
IMO, a 12 string electric needs single coil pickups to bring out its chime (like a Rickenbacker). Tone is subjective though. My Italia Rimini 12 is decent and gets me part way there with it P90's...but I'm still saving for a Ric 12.

stratrat2000

IMO, a 12 string electric needs single coil pickups to bring out its chime (like a Rickenbacker).
+1. Most of the time, anyway - I ended up with TV Jones Magnatrons in my Dean Sarasota (kind of a set-neck Boca - I specifically wanted the huge neck) and my pickup search ended there. Surprisingly, even the neck pickup gives a usable tone - which I don't usually expect from a 12.

Stock Zebra pickups were a very bad match (overpowered for a 6-string, IMO, let alone a 12) and I went through a few other lower output humbuckers and HB-sized P90s. All were too thick and muddy, but I made the P90s work for a while by converting the tone control into a bass cut.

If the Magnatrons hadn't worked, I was contemplating Fralin Twangmasters, and from there I'd probably have moved on to the alnico pole singles like Vintage Vibes' HS-AR or the Klein HB sized SC.

Fab4ever

I got an Agile 12-string in the ES-335 style and put in GFS alnico Retrotron pickups... very chimey.

ChuckR

+1. Most of the time, anyway - I ended up with TV Jones Magnatrons in my Dean Sarasota (kind of a set-neck Boca - I specifically wanted the huge neck) and my pickup search ended there. Surprisingly, even the neck pickup gives a usable tone - which I don't usually expect from a 12.

Stock Zebra pickups were a very bad match (overpowered for a 6-string, IMO, let alone a 12) and I went through a few other lower output humbuckers and HB-sized P90s. All were too thick and muddy, but I made the P90s work for a while by converting the tone control into a bass cut.

If the Magnatrons hadn't worked, I was contemplating Fralin Twangmasters, and from there I'd probably have moved on to the alnico pole singles like Vintage Vibes' HS-AR or the Klein HB sized SC.
If the Magnatrons are working, what about the Gretsch 12 string 5422-12? Anyone play it or own it? That is the other option that has been tugging at me.

sixty2strat

The problem I'm having is trying to FIND some 12 strings to play! I stumbled across this one by accident. I have no idea where to find a Danni in my area and I live near Philadelphia! I would hate to buy something I've never played. Especially something like a 12 string. I played the Dean Boca and the neck just felt too chunky. I'm mostly a Fender guy and don't like those chunky Gibson style necks. Where did you get your Danni from?
Sold mine when I bought my double neck and always regretted it as much as I love the Gibson. Been looking around the philly area too. Try CL and local mom n po stores like: Bluebond, Springfield, top 10 dipinto D-town, ...get out the phone book and makes some calls, Check GC used site

stratrat2000

If the Magnatrons are working, what about the Gretsch 12 string 5422-12? Anyone play it or own it? That is the other option that has been tugging at me.
Actually not bad at all. QC can be a little spotty and setup is not great - and a good setup is essential on a 12. So factor in the cost of a good tech setup. I usually reccommend changing the nut for a Tusq XL from the get-go to save problems later.

The pups are OK - they have the typical Gretschy high end, and are well balanced - but are nothing like the Magnatrons, which were designed to be bright - more like a DeArmand single-coil than a Filter'tron. Listen to the video comparison on the TV Jones site - you can hear that the Maggies have more of the response you want from a 12.

Not a fan of a floating archtop bridge on a 12 though - there's enough to contend with a TOM on a 12, adding a floating bridge just makes string changes that bit more difficult.

Gearaddict

I had a Country Club Gretsch 12. It was OK, but not quite the same jangle as a RIC. The 5422-12 is a nice guitar too.

ChuckR

One more bit of info for the mill. I'm really not looking for that classic Ric sound. Quite frankly the ice pick sound of that G octave string just kills my ears. I'm just looking for a fuller sound. Think "Over the Hills and Far Away" from Led Zep. I know that is acoustic, but it is just a fuller sound as opposed to the "Look I'm a 12 string!" That is why I liked the sound of the Ibanez. It was a 12, but not in your face with those humbuckers.

Sounds like that Gretsch with the stock pickups would do that for me.

Top Bottom