I've got a 2061x on the way... First time Marshall owner here..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by puddinstone, Sep 16, 2009.

1. puddinstone

puddinstone Member

Picked up one of these in the Emporium for what seemed like a steal... I guess between the economy and the current clones it really drives down prices.

This will be my first Marshall... wondering what to expect... hoping for classic rock tones. I'm familar with the sound and have played them before... but never at a gig or for any long period of time.

For now I'll be playing it through a Avatar 2x12 with a vintage 30 and anniversary G12H but would love to pickup the matching cab if we bond.

Anybody else recently started playing a Marshall or clone for the first time?

2. rockster12

rockster12 Member

I have one of these amps. Really great amp. Unfortunately I have accumulated too many amps lately and this one is not seeing much playing time. Great sounding full on plexi however. Let me know if you bond with it as I have a matching cab that I would sell. Or the whole thing if you think that you want a backup. great price too.

3. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Never played one but the scoop is that they sound great.

Congrats.

ps: Even thought it's only 20 watts you might want to consider an attenuator so you can really crank the amp. That's how early NMV Marshalls sound best.

4. puddinstone

puddinstone Member

Yeah.. I've been wondering about an attenuator. I play a variety of places.. Some of which I know I won't be able to really crank it up.

5. puddinstone

puddinstone Member

any late night users.. (although it's not that late..)

6. parker

parker Member

wonderful Marshall crunch! juicy and fat sounding... congratulations!

7. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

I was never a Marshall guy in general, but I liked that amp a lot and would not hesitate to grab another. Nice crunchy tones at reasonable volumes.

8. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Member

Hi mate,

I have one of these and actually just started a thread about using two cabs with it!

Tonewise these things are fantastic. I think the 2061cx cab has a lot to do with that great sound too. I would recommend getting the proper cab for it.

This amp just simply nails all the great classic rock crunchy tones - AC/DC, Free, Bad Company, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, Stones, The Cult etc - its all there. It also gives great cleans too - thick and chewy - not glassy like a Fender.

Don't let the 20 watts fool you into thinking its not loud. This thing breathes fire - its mega loud through the original cabinet. I would say its only about 10% quieter than a 50 watter through a 4x12. As such, an attenuator or plexiglass shield are needed if you don't want to use overdrive pedals. No problems keeping up with heavy handed drummers or filling a big room from the stage either.

I have had great results using the Vox Big Ben and ZVex Box of Rock with it for classic sounds and a Vox Bulldog Distortion for modern distortion sounds.

The downside is that the output trannies on these are known to fail - many reported instances on the net, however mine has been sailing along just fine for the last 18 months. They also run the EL84 output valves very hot. As such be prepared to keep new ones handy. If you use the amp for weekly gigging and rehearsals you'll probably need to change output tubes every 6 months or so. Make sure you use rugged tubes as I've had some that redplated right out of the box!

The head and cab are nicely portable too. Teh cab fits inside the boot (trunk) of a mid sized sedan easily.

Cheers,

Mark

9. puddinstone

puddinstone Member

Thanks for taking the time with the info Mark!

I have a Box of Rock and was thinking they would be a good match!

I've been thinking of finding a plexi shield of some sort for some of my other amps... seems like a good excuse.

Not too worried about it being loud enough as I try to err on the side of being to quiet rather then too loud (I'm a hired gun.. I do what I can to keep my gigs). But how loud does it need to be to get a semi-break up tone? I'm hoping to get this and then stack pedals on top of it.

In the end.. even if it's too loud I'm sure it will be great for the studio. I have a variety of amps... and this is filling a gap for sure.

Thanks for the help guys!

10. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Member

Using a Tele or a Gretsch it stays clean up to nearly half way on the volume - which is plenty loud. After that the volume control just gives you a really nice range of overdrive/distortion sounds to play with. A Gibson humbucker style guitar will start distorting around 3-4 on the dial.

The tone control also adds gain. There's a big difference in the amount of distortion available when you move the tone control between 8 and 10. There's a lot you can do with the tone by jumpering the channels too.

Cheers,

Mark

11. DS88

DS88 Member

I had one of these, and I really liked it at gig levels. Never could bond with it at home though, as I favour Fender cleans over Marshall cleans.. I do miss it though, and want to buy one again and pair it up with a Ultimate Attenuator for home use :p

Oh, almost forgot to add that I ALWAYS jumpered the channels for a really fat tone, that is still rich with upper harmonics.

Talking about this amp makes me miss it more :(

12. puddinstone

puddinstone Member

Good to hear. Won't get it until first of next week but looking forward to crankin it up!

13. rockbutt

rockbutt Member

If you can, go for the matching 2061cx cab with the stock 70th Ann. Celestion speakers . Belive it or not, the 2061x is capable of delivering a loud clean, glassy Fender like tone through the Bass ch.

14. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

15. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'm a fan too, caused me to sell my Matchless Spitfire (just louder, ballsier and more "there").

16. sonic1974

sonic1974 Member

I have the PA model of this amp, I've read there's a small difference from the lead and bass model, but to be honest I'm not really sure what it is.

The amp is pretty old, from '73, unfortunately it's in the shop right now.

I hope to get it back really soon, because I love the sound of it! It's the first time I've owned a single channel amp with no Master volume.

I found it takes some getting used to. Most of the time I have to use a combination of an overdrive pedal with a distortion pedal to get a really dirty sound out of it. I just don't get the chance to crank it up as much as I'd like to, so I have to get the dirty sound that way.

Man, any pedal I plug in sounds great through it! And I really love the cleans. You don't hear many people mention Marshall cleans, but I think this amp is one of the best I've ever heard clean. Sounds so cool I hardly miss reverb. (okay, I admit I miss reverb a little sometimes, ha ha!)

Don't worry about the 20 watts either. Unless your drummer is a maniac, it'll be loud enough to play with a band, you can count on it for sure.

Have fun with it and let us know what you think. :)

rob in Ottawa

Edit to add: I'm using a Fairfield Barbershop overdrive with a George Dennis tube distortion/volume pedal and playing a couple of different Hamers

17. Mac Daddy 355

Mac Daddy 355 MilkBone Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I have the matching cab , sold the head , sounds great

18. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

GREAT amp-Throw it on top of a 4x12 cab, and stand back!!

19. puddinstone

puddinstone Member

Wow... that's saying alot. I'm not sure it will convince me to get rid of my Matchless but.. still!

Anyone put a post phase inverter MV on one of these things? I know the classic Marshall sound if from the cranked power section... but whated to see if any one had any experience?

20. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

The 2061 is a great little head, I'm probably going to be posting a friend of mine's 2061 in the Emporium if anyone wants to inquire.