• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

I've got Les Paul GAS...(Now NGD!)

Weathered

Gold Supporting Member
Lately, I've found myself spending way too much time looking at Les Pauls, and I think that I need to solve that issue, so I'm shopping.

I've had plenty of really nice guitars, but only 2 Les Pauls, an '01 Studio that was my #1 for years and a 2011 Traditional Pro that was a pretty good guitar but got sold during a period of lost interest in guitar. I've always wanted a great LP, but never really felt that I was able or willing to spend $2k+ on a guitar...UNTIL NOW!

I went to one of the local GCs yesterday to check out a used Standard that they had listed (I think it's a '13), and it was what I would call a nice guitar. Not really anything special, and the bridge volume pot was stuck on full which wasn't great. I then tried out one of the new Standards with a 50's neck, and I am getting what lots of people here have been raving about with the new Standards. The best description that I can make of it is that it had bounce, and the new A2 pickups are fantastic.

So that leads me to think that I really want to snag a new Standard, but I want to make sure that I've done all of my diligence given that this is the biggest cash outlay I've made for a guitar. I'm drawn to either a tobacco burst or Goldtop, and would love to get in under the $2,500 MAP if possible. Anyone had any luck getting even a bit of a discount on these from any retailers?

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
yeah, les pauls are cool. i really get the gas for buying one every few years.

what i really want is a '59 historic. but i blinked and the prices went insane. it's still an end goal but it's a really far off realization.

i like the idea of the new standards but i can't handle a 10lbs guitar and many of them lean very close to that weight. the heritage h-150 is a nice piece but i've also had mixed encounters with heritage guitars. apparently, they have it together now but that wouldn't be how my scorecard reads. plus, yeah, every guitar that's not a les paul is always not a les paul. try as i may, vain as it sounds, the little voice never goes away :(

ckfoxtrot

If I were in your position I'd probably grab a standard 50s from Wildwood. Looks like they have both a Tobacco and a Goldtop right now.

Claytone

I just recently acquired a LP Deluxe Goldtop with mini-humbuckers, a limited edition from 2000 that features a one piece body and 50's style neck, and weighs only 8.8 lbs. That combination of features, offered used at under $2000, was too good to pass up. I'm a Tele player, and I'm really enjoying this Goldtop, which sounds great and looks stunning, if looks are a factor.

Silver Supporting Member
Regardless of the question, the right answer is a Les Paul. I don't know where you live but there's lots of good dealers that you could buy one from either new or used. Lots of variation to choose from in Les Pauls. Good luck on the hunt and in finding a great one!

Weathered

Gold Supporting Member
Love that R7.

I think I'm going to jump on a 50's Standard from Wildwood, with the plan to add an R7 further down the line. If I know anything about myself, it's that one LP isn't going to satisfy my wants.

Rolandb36

Silver Supporting Member
I bought 2 guitars last year from Wildwood and in both cases they came down from the MAP. You can definitely get some dough shaved off the price. Both times they were fair with me.

Lwilliams

Gold Supporting Member
You really should look at a Heritage H-150. Incredible quality. Kalamazoo made in the old Gibson factory by some of the old Gibson people.

I have two R9s and a 1976 Gibson black beauty Custom. I would put a H-150 up against these Gibson's of mine in terms of tone, feel and quality.

dcbc

I've got a 2014 Traditional that I love. They got a bit of flack from TGP back then for the 120th Anniversary 12th Fret Inlay, but if you can live with that, the 59 tribute pickups are tremendous and the overall quality of the one I lucked into is tip top. No weight relief. Hand wired pots. Just a great guitar.

My last one I stupidly sold was a 91 Goldtop/Goldback with mini humbuckers that was an absolute rock machine.

Guitarworks

OP, I would say go with a PRS Singlecut or a Heritage. With the PRS, you'll get more guitar for your money at a Gibson price point, and with the Heritage, you'll get what you might get from Gibson, but for a lot less money, IME.

Lately, I've found myself spending way too much time looking at Les Pauls, and I think that I need to solve that issue, so I'm shopping.

I've had plenty of really nice guitars, but only 2 Les Pauls, an '01 Studio that was my #1 for years and a 2011 Traditional Pro that was a pretty good guitar but got sold during a period of lost interest in guitar. I've always wanted a great LP, but never really felt that I was able or willing to spend $2k+ on a guitar...UNTIL NOW!

I went to one of the local GCs yesterday to check out a used Standard that they had listed (I think it's a '13), and it was what I would call a nice guitar. Not really anything special, and the bridge volume pot was stuck on full which wasn't great. I then tried out one of the new Standards with a 50's neck, and I am getting what lots of people here have been raving about with the new Standards. The best description that I can make of it is that it had bounce, and the new A2 pickups are fantastic.

So that leads me to think that I really want to snag a new Standard, but I want to make sure that I've done all of my diligence given that this is the biggest cash outlay I've made for a guitar. I'm drawn to either a tobacco burst or Goldtop, and would love to get in under the $2,500 MAP if possible. Anyone had any luck getting even a bit of a discount on these from any retailers?
Na .. Covid-19 has GCs tighter than a super-glued clam .. At least around here .. Good luck .. it's a fun process

Trending Topics