1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

I've had it under my nose for years, but...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by markom89, Feb 14, 2009.

1. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

never really used it!

The pedal I speak of is my ZVex Super Duper 2 in 1.
    My first "boutique" pedal, purchased for me by my father a few years back while I was very sick.

I used to use it to blow my friends amps up and as a super loud clean boost, but now I've totally rediscovered it and it's my #1 "always on" pedal. It just adds such a cool quality to my entire rig. Makes the amp sound more lively.

Its been a great pedalweek for me, but this thing tops it off, believe it or not!

Anyone else a SD 2 in 1 fan??? Also, just wondering... if I just use one side, am I basically just using a Super Hard On?

[​IMG]

2. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

This is a pedal that I have never tried, but I certainly will get to someday, as I have heard a lot of good about it.

3. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Never tried a 2 in1 but used to have a SHO (and loved it!)...killer pedal, and yes the 2 in 1 is 2 SHO's with a master volume.

Thats a killer board BTW...very nice!

I've thought really hard about a 2 in 1 and leaving one side on as a buffer of sorts and using the other side as a solo boost...

4. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Yeah, it's a great pedal! Would still like to try an SHO, though, as crazy as that may sound. :messedup

Another cool "on all the time" pedal I used to run was the Durham Sex Drive. Klon is cool like this, too.

5. drolling

drolling Member

When I was a sick kid in the hospital, my dad would bring me ice cream & a few comic books. Your pops sounds like one cool dude, Marko!

6. Wheeler004

Wheeler004 Member

Sweet rig! I've got a sho and I love it

7. VanR

VanR Senior Member

Haven't seen a Univox Super Fuzz in 30 years. Is that what that is? Brings back memories.

8. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Ha, yeah, he's one cool dad (for reasons other than buying me a pedal while I was sick)!

Yessir, that's indeed a Univox/Shin Ei Super Fuzz! Great fuzz. I'd love to grab another, but they're just too darn expensive these days :(

9. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Supporting Member

I hear ya on the Super-Duper & have just recently bought another, a cool looking Zvex stamped in red Super Duper & just love the extra kick it gives to your amp.
    I have owned both the SHO & Super Duper & as what has been said is correct the Super Duper has the 1 volume knob exactly like the SHO & then the other 2 knobs for the 2nd channel with a knob for the master volume as you well know. I prefer the Super Duper over the SHO as it's more versatile & love the overdrive/distortion tone you can get with this pedal when both channels are on. The pedal just sounds like its part of your amp I have come to realize I should have never sold this pedal the first time around, but I'm glad I own a custom looking version now!!

10. charmboy

charmboy Member

I love my SHO and Tremolo Probe (SHO w/ theramin antenna as volume pedal) It's a great circuit that really brings your tone to life.

11. Franktone

Franktone Member

Marko, is that your new deluxe memory man? How are you liking that pedal. I bought one today that is about 20 years old and has an external wall wart. I love these things and can't stop playing it.

12. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I wish! My good friend lent me his for a few weeks, but as soon as it leaves I'm gonna' pick one up. This one's also 20 years old (from '79) and has the attached power chord. Those are where it's at as far as DMM's go, IMO.
    Can't wait to get my own. I absolutely LOVE the DMM, though.

13. Franktone

Franktone Member

Marko, I also bought a used deluxe memory man with the attached 3-prong power cord from around 2002, and they both have the same great sound from what I can tell so far. I found that you have to plug the 3-prong plug into a 2 prong lamp cord in order to get rid of the ground loop hum, even if you plug the amp and the memory man into the same wall receptacle. But I heard on the Analogman site that some of the internal transformer models have some noticeable hum. I'll have to spend some time to see if there is a noticeable difference.

14. somedayrockstar

somedayrockstar Member

I had a SHO but replaced it with a 2 in 1. I love em both. I got the 2 in1 because the Sho was always on and I wanted to still use the boost part of it so I upgraded. Let me ask this though, Would it be to much of one thing or redundant if I have a 2 in 1 at the begining of my board and SHO at the very end?

15. Franktone

Franktone Member

Hey Marko, that deluxe memory man your friend lent you looks like a 2-prong cord model, by the looks of the cord near the jacks. I would imagine that would be the best one, since that is similar in vintage to Curehardy's.

16. Franktone

Franktone Member

Did you make your friend an offer he can't refuse yet?

17. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

haha, no, I haven't, because he's never gonna' let this one go. One of his first pedals that he bought at a music show in the late 80's in Detroit. Still has original box and receipt... $35! :messedup

It's indeed a 2prong model. I love it :D

18. tonewave

tonewave Member

I have been using the SHO as an "always on - first in line" pedal since 1999,
    because of the super high input impedance (5 meg) it reduces the load on the pickups to nothing, revealing the true nature of your pickups and guitar.
    The SHO and the barber Launch Pad (doing the tube cooking thing) are the 2 best kept secrets as far I'm concerned.

Oh then there's the Ep-pre......