I've had my Helix for about 6 months now and I haven't hardly scratched the surface.

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by standard24, Jan 2, 2018.

1. standard24

standard24 Member

The surface of what it's capable of that is... I really only use one patch that gives me the Twin Reverb sound I like. I'm not using IR's or snapshots yet. The scribble strips just have the generic item names.

I know there's a world of more capability built in, but so far, I'm very happy with it.

I would like it if Line 6 held classes for these units at the local Guitar Centers. I'd be more than willing to purchase a Line 6 video course that starts at unboxing the unit and progresses all the way through the most advanced utilization. One that would link to Customtone and download lessons or patches to manipulate.

I see the Helix as another instrument, and the more I understand it, the better it will work for me.

Line 6 guys... Take notice. There's a market here for training courses and more Helix sales.

2. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

3. RockManDan

RockManDan Member

youtube has a wealth of info if you look for it. I've had mine for about 2 weeks and I'm having a blast.

MIJLOVER likes this.
  4. rezidentura

rezidentura Member

I attended one of these at my local store. It was about an hour long Andy Paredes gave it and did a great job. However i didn't deem a whole lot from the class. It was more or less things I already knew. Glenn Delaune has some You Tube videos about the helix that may actually help out.

I think someone recently messaged here; something about understanding how guitar and recording rigs work in the "real world" so you can better know how to use these more advanced modeling units.

I"m personally on the fence rather to buy a Helix or continue with my PODhd 500 which I've never hit a dsp limit and sounds pretty good. Plus instead of the helix I could purchase a Variax standard or something and have better access to more sounds.

BTW I currently use a fender Mustang III to monitor my pod and the fender tones in this thing are so good.

scott58 likes this.
  5. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Some great YT tutorials here. Worth subscribing to

rafaelrebolleda and jsad like this.
  6. scott58

scott58 Member

Line 6 did a DVD on the xt series. Don't remember where I got it.... Lick Library?? Been to long ago. They should keep doing stuff like that.

7. scott58

scott58 Member

I'm in the same boat. I love the HD500. I use it with 3 different amps. I had the idea to try and pair different tubes with different amp models and it worked out great. This is the best I've ever had it. Not prepared to mess with that just yet.

8. CanuckChris

CanuckChris Member

I'd love it if capturing the tones from specific songs/artists was easier. Yes, I know it can be done through some effort with sound bite captures, and yes that takes away from learning to dial in the sound yourself and really getting to know the tone and developing your own tone, but there's lots of times I'd just like to be lazy and plug in and play along without all the set-up and tweaking.

9. Michael_V

Michael_V Gold Supporting Member

LOTS and LOTS of those available on line.

10. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Member

I liked what Pete Thorn said somewhere about cover gigs, roughly, "get your rig sounding good, then play the gig like you and have fun, don't obsess over exactly matching the tones or parts on every song."

11. outlawten5

outlawten5 Member

Isn't that the point of getting something like the Helix or AX8?

12. yeky83

yeky83 Member

Well, it'd be a shame to scratch the surface on the Helix, with the color screen and all. Plus, higher resale value is always nice.

:rimshot

JiveTurkey, Madmax25 and mtayl339 like this.
  13. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Search this forum for posts by jsad. He is up to his 9th excellent video on how to deep dive into the Helix. Each one is on a different specific aspect. Great stuff. He just posted one on using Snapshots today.

Jdstrat, dmock66, jsad and 1 other person like this.
  14. lespaulreedsmith

lespaulreedsmith Member

where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains
    I'm with Pete Thorn on this one because what he said is what I did. Found my pretty much perfect guitar tone for the new band I'm in and have a bunch of presets that go off of that tone just as if the Helix was an amplifier.
    But I know I'm only scratching the surface of the Helix.
    I feel like I'm floating on the ocean (for what I use it for) and the ocean underneath me (what the Helix is capable of) is vast and deep and that I don't know where the bottom is... lol

MIJLOVER likes this.
  15. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

I hope that's tongue-in-cheek. If not, NO!

At least not for everyone. The main goal of these tools is to quickly get a usable tone and then go play it.

Obsessing is for cork sniffers.

Aquinas likes this.
  16. Brandon7s

Brandon7s Member

I'm with Jarrett on this one. The primary use of having a modeling amp/platform is to replace an amp and/or effects. Smaller rig, more versatile, and the best part (for me, at least) is that they sound great at low volume.

I've heard songs before where I absolutely love the guitar tone so I make an effort to create a preset that sounds similar but I've never tried to copy a tone specifically for a particular song/album.

17. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Member

When I was in cover bands I didn't copy solos note for note either, more just honor (or not) the vibe of the original.

buddaman71 likes this.
  18. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I’ve done one on one Skype lessons with a bunch of guys to teach them how to use Helix.

Here’s what I learned.

I can’t make a living out of that for sure, because once I show you a few basic principles, you figure out the rest of the box so quickly that after one hour, maybe two, you never ask me for help again basically.

Seriously, that’s been my experience.

Most recent guy who hired me to do this said at the end of a 1.5 hour session, “Thanks for all that, I’ll call you when I’m ready for another session.” I said, “No. You won’t, and that’s cool. Trust me, you don’t need me anymore.”

And that is what happened.

outlawten5 and MIJLOVER like this.
  19. ratbastid

ratbastid Member

While I generally agree with you, I think I'd prefer we say "My primary use...". Because everyone's going to want different things, and that's where Helix TOTALLY shines.

I have a "my tone" preset--Cartographer, JUST before breakup, with a klon and a screamer, plus some mods and delays. I use that most of the night in my cover band. But then for some songs, things I love or things with really iconic guitar sounds, I'm putting in the work to make a specific preset that does it. Comfortably Numb, Purple Rain, Song 2, that sort of thing.

Song 2 is a great example, actually. The way that one goes from thin/clean/weedy to massive and fuzzed just can't be mimicked in my "my tone" preset. That preset doesn't get thin OR thick enough, so I had to build something special for it.

BUT not every player is going to do songs like that, or care in the (somewhat obsessive) way I do--and that's fine. Helix rewards those who float on the icebergs above the deep seas just as much as it does those of us in scuba suits.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  20. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

This is SO true.

There are as many ways to use Helix's FX and models as there are players practically. I know that a lot of the stuff I do with it there seems to be almost nobody doing it.

outlawten5 likes this.