I've never owned a guitar with a 7.25 radius, am I missing anything?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DGrig, Dec 13, 2018.

1. kafka

kafka Supporting Member

The first time you play one, you'll see what you've been missing. After that it'll feel like every other neck you've played. Yeah, it's a little different, but not something I pay any attention to.

Matt Dillon likes this.
  2. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Member

The bigger difference is that most if not all 7-1/4 radius necks have tiny little vintage frets.

Mpcoluv likes this.
  3. RockDC

RockDC Member

I really like my 7.25 tele. I prefer it to my 9.5. My action is lower on the 7.25 and the guitar feels more comfortable... that being said, I think it has more to do with the guitar as a whole then the radius of the fretboard. Most of my guitars are 9.5-12" radius and I find many of them very comfortable and some more comfortable...

4. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

That's like asking someone what sex is like...you can't explain it, you have to find out for yourself;).

5. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

Some people find it very comfortable. You may need higher action if you bend a lot with rounder boards. I have two Jazzmasters - one's 9.5" and the other's 7.25". I have a slight preference for the 7.25" but I also do fine on my LPs which have 12" radii.

It's not a terribly important feature for me until it gets really flat, which I don't like.

6. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

This. It's not so much the 7.25 per se even if I like 9.5 or 12 better, it's the combination of a that very curved board and tiny frets and on maple boards sticky finish as well.

never again

Uncle Bob likes this.
  7. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I started out playing Fenders with the vintage radius and tiny frets, those were my main guitars for years...when I pick one up nowadays, they feel like home to me. Definitely tougher to play for lead work though if you’re a big string bender (which I am), but certainly not a deal breaker. But do you need one? Try a few and then decide...

8. RicardoDiazHimself

RicardoDiazHimself Member

9. make8realxc8d2

make8realxc8d2 Member

The "Radius" is not independent, it depends on the neck profile, neck depth, and overall fretboard width.

10. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

I had one, but didn't keep it long. No good for slide on the low frets.

11. teleman55

teleman55 Member

I've got three Fenders. One has the 7.25. I love it. But I learned on those necks so that may be a factor. The thing is, you can wrap your hand around those necks. That's the thing.

12. budglo58

budglo58 Member

I had a AVRI 57 ri strat with the 7.25 and never had a problem with it.

13. 6789

6789 Member

I like low action. But with my 7.25 radius tele, notes fret out when I play Dizzy Miss Lizzy so I had to raise the string height. I won’t knowingly buy another 7.25 radius.

14. killer blues

killer blues Member

Excellent for barre chords. Not so good for bending strings in the upper registers

15. mikefair

mikefair Supporting Member

I don't get what the big deal is. I had been playing a Tele for years with a 7.25 radius and didn't know it until I put a radius gauge on it. It plays fine. I like it.

16. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Supporting Member

Everything in life is a compromise.
    If you do mostly chordal playing and few bends you may like then 7.25.
    If you do lots of big string bends, you may not like it.
    I personally prefer a bigger radius.
    Lots of fine music has been made on a 7.25 radius however.

17. dazco

dazco Member

Unless he is your clone u don't know that. Granted, a lot of people prefer 9.5 or even 12, but the fact is a lot of people prefer 7.25 too including myself. He may or may not be one of them and his question really is therefore sorta useless. But the one thing we can do is to try and fill him i an the less subjective details.

First thing i'd tell him is there are pros and cons to each. The #1 con with 7.25 is trying to get the action low. It CAN be low if you know how to do it but without a good setup from someone who knows how the con here is that with a low action the note will tend to choke out when bending, especially u high around the 12th fret and above. But as i said that can be dealt with in a good setup if you know how or know a tech that does. My 7.25 guitars have always had very low action because i have a fret hand injury that makes a low action very necassary. It could also be argued that shredding may be easier with a flatter radius, but for me not so. May simply be a matter of being used to them. Many do not give it enough time to become used to it and move on. But there are plenty of world class players that use and love 7.25 radius strats and teles and have absolutely no shortage of chops and talent. IMO it's more a matter of a good setup and being used to it, it's that simple. I'm not saying it's for everyone and that there are not people to whom it's an obstacle who DID give it a long term chance. But i'd bet most who don't like it never did.

On the pros side i find it much more natural feeling for chording and for single notes i prefer it because i am used to it and don't find it an obstacle in any way. But i think the chording part is something that feels good right away w/o having to get used to it. And it just has an overall feel that i like and many do thats hard to explain. But again, the setup is crucial unless you like a higher action in which case it's not going to choke out without a great setup. I have 2 strats, one with a 8.5 which i hoped to be ok with and for the most part i am. But i prefer 7.25 enough that i'm thinking of selling it for a 7.25. To the OP i would say see how you feel abut it but get the setup right and then spend enough time with it b4 u pass judgement. You may like it right away but if not don't assume you eventually won't. IMO for someone who;s just into shredding then maybe go with flatter. Overall it is probably better. Not for fast playing generally, but for people who do almost nothing but. But if u play a variety of things including some speed riffing but thats not your entire thing, you may love it.

18. ssdeluxe

ssdeluxe Member

I believe the "overall strat-i-ness" experience is rooted in how 7.25 feels, and, also how it influences how you play...

I find 9.5, 10, 12 very different feel, therefore, to some extent response will change with how you play, pressure applied, dynamics etc...

just mo of course, this is absolutely 100% personal, and, I have no issue and prefer 7.25.....I might be in the minority where I really don't like any F style guitar more than 9.5..changes it too much for me. ym w for sure v .

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  19. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    This is what I disliked immensely about Fender guitars. The radius of 7 1/4" was not the problem so much, but trying to grab those vintage nail frets was a major pain.

The slightly flatter 9 1/2" radius is more comfortable with the medium jumbo frets.

Uncle Bob likes this.
  20. ballynally

ballynally Member

Yes, it's the fretboard radius AND neck shape.People often forget that.
    Some say vintage 7.25 is for REAL men.(just let them!)