I’ve only got 4 gigs booked for March. End of a 4 month non stop roller coaster ride.

27sauce

I got home this morning, unpacked and breathed a sigh of relief.

I lost my gig of 10 years back in October. No warning, mob style hit. We played Wednesday and were told to pickup up our gear the next day. Stunned. It was my day job, and my only job.

It was a hard hitting reality check going out to gig in the real world. I was able to pickup at least two gigs a week in November, thanks to friends and friends of friends. The scene really went out of their way to hire us. Mostly covers, some original bands. The money was bad. I mean, there were some gigs where the whole band made what I made in a night at my old gig.

I did have a light at the end of the tunnel. I had a two week tour with a 90’s country singer(great gig, super cool guy) in December. And the band that was fired was getting some good local bookings. Meanwhile, one of my favorite local bands lost their lead player and I jumped at the chance to join. Original music I loved! They don’t play very much, but it was enough for me to sort of keep an eye on the following months. My band, them, and the 90’s guy was motivated to tour more. Great.

Still trying to make up the lost money. My wife’s profession is always slow during the holidays, so it got pretty tight.

While on the road, I heard a regional guy was looking for a guitar player. Coveted gig. Great pay, not a ton of gigs, light travel. One of those gigs you could do 10 years in. I know the guy. Couldn’t get a return to my messages, nothing from the TM. Finally I heard they got somebody. Oh well.

The next day I get a call that another artist is looking for a guitar player. Their guy got the gig I wanted! “Do you want to audition?” Absolutely. The catch was, I was out of town during auditions. I found out recently that they had a guy picked but two of the guys in the band knew me and insisted I be given a chance. So I’m in the hotel learning the material, going over the material I was playing, learning the original band’s stuff, and trying to keep a cover band calendar full.

I nail the audition, but don’t hear anything for a bit. I play a gig with the original band that was a f’n blast. Cover band is licking its wounds, kicking ass and getting better money every gig.

Then I get the call that I got the gig. Starts in 2 weeks, 90 minute show, which is basically all me solo/part wise. And the first gigs are opening some arena shows. Off the deep end, hit the ground running, sports metaphors galore.. I had to quit all those other groups, which was sort of a bummer. I really think I could have made it work. They were all jobs I liked. This new guy, I was unfamiliar with the catalog, other than one song my cover band did. I knew it was in my wheelhouse, but I didn’t already dig it.

It was an insane first couple of weeks. We only play on the weekends, once in a while a long run, but the gigs are great. Headlining big clubs, opening in sheds/arenas. Lots of Texas, Midwest/south so far. East coast/west coast and everything in between in April-August. Super easy, cozy travel. Good guys, good crew. I really lucked out. Super grateful right now.

Only 4 shows booked in March, and I’m thrilled. Thrilled to be home, not worried about money at the moment. I know I’ll pickup some gigs locally, but I can enjoy them...

Just glad those months are over. Probably 8 different cover sets, 4 original band(oh yeah, I played a reunion gig of my college band) sets. Between the projects I’ve played DFW 16 times since October! FML.

Sorry for the long post, just needed a bit of a release. It could all end tomorrow. I was spoiled for so long. If you have a good gig, cherish it!

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
Was that Cowboys venue I’ve seen you post a bunch at the old gig or new one? That looked really sweet.

Either way sounds like you’ve got a lot of good stuff going on!

The singer/bassist in our band landed a fairly big time gig, for the genre anyway- (international touring, Grammy nominated last year, etc) so we’ve been put on the back burner. Still gig when he’s home and do some studio work, but I miss playing live as much as I’d like. I’ve tried getting together with other guys but it’s slim picking around here.

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats on finally landing a gig you are pleased with.

Here's hoping you can play this as long as you want.

27sauce

@Echoplexi Yeah, Cowboys is where I was at all those years. Easiest gig ever. 2 miles from my house, paid vacations, plenty of nights off, big crowds, treated well. I never had to tear down, was asked to play louder!

The prospect of going on the road full time was never one I entertained. I liked filing in or subbing, like I’ve done in the past. It still doesn’t feel like I’m not just going to go back to work after this run. So weird.

ned7flat5

Thanks for posting that excellent cinematic account - while I was immersed in reading the “ups and downs” I had this classic going on in my head.

Last edited:

WordMan

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for posting that excellent cinematic account - while I was immersed in reading the “ups and downs” I had this classic going on in my head.

Seriously - thank you @27sauce - getting it straight from a working professional with such thoughtfulness - I’d read your book.

And glad you’re rocking - hope to see you during your California swing!!

27sauce

Seriously - thank you @27sauce - getting it straight from a working professional with such thoughtfulness - I’d read your book.

And glad you’re rocking - hope to see you during your California swing!!
Thank you! I hope you can make it, I think my wife is going to be out there for a couple of those Northern CA dates.

I’m glad you got to experience some San Antonio the last few months.

Yer Blues

Sucks you lost your 10 year gig. It was always interesting to read about and sounded like a good scenario. Sounds like you've landed on your feet.

Are you going direct when you fly out or are venues providing amps?

27sauce

Sucks you lost your 10 year gig. It was always interesting to read about and sounded like a good scenario. Sounds like you've landed on your feet.

Are you going direct when you fly out or are venues providing amps?
I have a direct option on my board that I used a couple of times on that December tour, the Radial JDX Direct drive. So it’s just my regular pedal rig through that.

With this new gig it’s all bus/trailer travel, so I take my 2 amp setup. BF Bassman through a 1x15 cab and a Vibrolux Reverb.

27sauce

Did they ever give you a reason you were fired from your previous gig?
I never got a reason, personally. It had to be money. They’re going through some major renovations and money has been tight for a while.

It was kind of a strange setup. We weren’t a band, we were individuals with different deals with the club. There was a time in ‘13 where everyone in entertainment except me and the singer were fired. He got sent to a different location and I got a new band 3 days later. All behind the scenes, all politics. I had no idea.

I think they tried to cut our(singers) pay and he put his foot down. I really get the vibe that he made a decision that affected all of us.

In reality, it was a crazy budget for a house band. In retrospect, I’m surprised it took so long to happen. They don’t have anyone now, and it seems like they’re rolling along.

8nthatK

Silver Supporting Member
Tough to lose those type gigs.

I had a similar thing happen. They closed down graham central in Nashville and another venue where I got to play regularly without the tear down etc.

When those gigs ended I packed it in and went the day job as I couldn’t bear the thought of bus life again.

Glad to hear it’s working out for you. It’s tough out there.

Tony

Silver Supporting Member
@Echoplexi Yeah, Cowboys is where I was at all those years. Easiest gig ever. 2 miles from my house, paid vacations, plenty of nights off, big crowds, treated well. I never had to tear down, was asked to play louder!

The prospect of going on the road full time was never one I entertained. I liked filing in or subbing, like I’ve done in the past. It still doesn’t feel like I’m not just going to go back to work after this run. So weird.
That was a sweet gig man; bummer to see it end.

Beers are on me if you get to STL. I owe you one.

Steve Hotra

Gold Supporting Member
Something will show up for you.
I learn from your posts all the time.
Keep going and moving forward !!

RupertB

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats on bouncing back (you earned it!) and getting a little rest time for the next few weeks.

Change is coming. Those who are ready for it, think on their feet & jump when opportunity arrives will do fine.

I got asked why I'm so intent on prospecting new gigs when we've got 30+ dates on in 2020. ABC.

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
The time's they are a changing! And without musicians that bring the MAGIC!
Awhile back some years I realized the crowd liked 2 dimensional backing tracks more than a live duo.

stratocat63

Gold Supporting Member
Glad you landed on your feet 27. In the mid '90s I had a 2 plus year gig as a band leader in a major city where I did 16 a month, mostly weeknights and made nearly 3 times what decent night's pay was in the clubs around there. Again, on a weeknight. Somehow survived a management change a year in by changing music formats, working hard and really watching my step. When they finally moved us out they told me I could still play there but it would be for beer lol. I went to playing the average paying gigs and some corporate stuff, it was tough.

Trending Topics