I’ve rediscovered the SG

JoeYello

Silver Supporting Member
When I was first getting into electric guitar at age 10 or so I went through several SGs before finally purchasing an SG Custom. I also had a Les Paul and after less than a year I decided I wanted to learn the bass because there would be more opportunities to join a band so I traded the SG straight up for a brand new Fender Precision Bass. (Still have the P and the LP 40+ years later.)

Always had that SG in the back of my mind and after 30 something years I bought a used 61 Custom Shop SG Custom, in white like my old 76. I didn’t bond with it. I was uncomfortable playing it as the middle pickup was in my way.

Recently I lowered the middle pickup even with the pickup ring. I put new strings on it and did a full setup. I start playing it and boom.....I get it! Great access to upper frets, clearer and more immediate sounding than my LP’s. More of an open sound and very airy. It’s a keeper for sure. It was like getting a new guitar.

I can’t wait for this pandemic crap to end so I take this guitar to a jam and let it rip. I never considered taking it to rehearsal before.

Live and learn I guess!

GiorgioV

Yeah, the middle pickup looks awesome but gets in the way a lot.

You might even consider dropping it out of the circuit.

Ramboorider

Silver Supporting Member
I forgot to discover the SG the first time. In the 43 years I’ve been Playing, I’m sure I’d played one at some point, but I don’t remember doing it. But I recently took a flyer on an Epiphone SG Special with P90s mostly because the leg cut is far enough toward the bridge that I thought it would be comfortable for my now customary seated playing position. I was right, it’s the most comfortable electric I’ve played sitting down. But it’s also an INCREDIBLE guitar. It plays wonderfully and sounds as good as a Les Paul with P90s, which has been my favorite sounding P90 platform in the past. I’d like a little beefier neck, but I’m OK with this skinny neck. I’m a strat guy through and through, but this is the best #2 I’ve had since I started playing again a few years ago. They’ve come and gone, but this one is a keeper...

-Ray

hotrats73

Silver Supporting Member
Me and my SG Standard have been together since 1991 and I still love her like the first day, even if now I prefer playing Les Pauls.

Gclef

Closest I have to an sg is my revstar.

More of a cross between a les paul and an sg.

Great guitar with a chunky neck.

Tiger Ted

Silver Supporting Member
My first good guitar was a Gibson SG Junior. That was back in 1964. Loved that thing but wanted a double pickup guitar so I traded it for a 335 a year later. Still have the 335. But I knew 4 other guitar players in my little town who all owned SG Standards with the Maestro. They sounded great and the look was incredible. So fast forward to 2020. I've got a milestone birthday coming up in a week and about a month ago decided to blow my stimulus check on a new '61 SG Standard reissue with Maestro. I'd had mixed success in bonding with new Gibsons over the last 20 years so I was a bit apprehensive.

Well, I got the guitar overnight from Sweetwater and it was a keeper from the minute I took it out of the case. This was the guitar I dreamed about when I got my SG Junior and didn't have the cash to get the Standard. And after a day of tweaking, slapping on some new strings, and replacing the bridge saddles with TonePros nylon replacements it seemed like I was back in 1964. The look, feel, tone, playability is all there. I'm overjoyed and now it is a struggle to figure out which axe to pickup. My 335 was resurrected in 2016 after sitting around as a pile of junk after Katrina for 10 years. And on top of that my other electric is a 2007 CS '51 Nocaster Relic. But more often than not I'm grabbing the SG.

zhivago

I love three pickup SG Customs...if you want to lower the middle pickup a bit further, you could swap the neck pickup ring with the middle one, this will give you a bit more room. :cool:

JoeYello

Silver Supporting Member
I love three pickup SG Customs...if you want to lower the middle pickup a bit further, you could swap the neck pickup ring with the middle one, this will give you a bit more room. :cool:
Excellent idea! I’m okay with it the way it is right now but I’ll keep that in my pocket.

weavzy

I had a beautiful all original 74 brown SG until I sold it about 2 years ago whilst going through a bit of a guitar rut...

...Now I regularly lay in bed at night thinking about it...

I'll always love you, Brown Hornet...I miss you.

TattooedCarrot

Silver Supporting Member
I put a disconnected dummy in mine with the magnet removed and lowered it way down so I wouldn't feel it. Looks like a three pickup custom, but is really a normal two pickup. I disliked the middle sound and it got in my way.

Trending Topics