I've Ruined My Bogner 2x12 Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Drew W, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Drew W

Drew W Supporting Member

I recently bought a Bogner 212OS cab. This is not the "Over Sized" cab -- that is the 212C. (I think Bogner needs to adjust their naming convention in this area.)

The cab I bought is the smaller 2x12 and has a partially open back. I bought it to use with my Atma head. I took it to two rehearsals and the rig sounded great. However, the cab had no side handles--only a handle on the top and at 52lbs, lifting it in and out of my car was not easy (I'm old).

I also have a Marshall 2x12 and that is actually bigger and heavier than this Bogner cab but it is not a problem to lift in and out of my car due to the side handles.

Genius idea: Install Bogner side handles on the Bogner 2x12 cab and my problem will be solved. I got the metal handles--which are the handles Bogner uses on the larger 212C cab and had a friend who is an expert at wood working and speaker cabs cut holes in the sides of the cab and install the handles.

The cab looked great. The handles look as if they were stock except for the fact that the larger handles sort of dominate the side of the smaller cabinet.

I took the cab to a gig without even trying it and I fired up the rig and was greeted with a harsh and metallic sound. No amount of dialing twisting on the amp could cover that up. Kinda ruined the gig for me, playing with a sound I hated and knowing that I did it to myself.

I'm not sure what to do with the cab now. Anyone want to buy a slightly modded :) Bogner 2x12 cab for cheap?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    teveinsene, candid_x and louis like this.
  2. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

I've been experimenting with different open backs and can't believe how different they are; size-to-size. I do find it hard to believe a handle would make that much of a difference, but I'll take your word for it. Maybe you can experiment with duct tape on the inside of the handles to try to tame a vibration?

3. tbonesullivan

tbonesullivan Member

Are these the flip out handles, or the ones that are set way into the cabinet? Is there any physical interaction between the speaker basket and the handle housing? Or is something loose? That definitely shouldn't be happening.

4. big mike

big mike Consigliere Staff Member

Agree. That sounds weird. Maybe find a way to dampen the handles. or switch to some plastic.
    Double check the wiring was put back correctly.

If he didn't take the speakers out first, that could be an issue.

lespaulnmarshall and Drew W like this.
  5. Ejay

Ejay Supporting Member

Couple of handles are not changing the sound...must be something else.

6. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

are the speakers out of phase

jvin248, tele_jas, pipedwho and 12 others like this.
  7. gulliver

Did you ground the handles?

Just kidding

:rolleyes:

8. Drew W

Drew W Supporting Member

These are the recessed handles like this https://www.altomusic.com/bogner-212c-2-x-12-guitar-amplifier-cabinet.

Hmmm I think I need to investigate further to see if he wired it up right or if the handles are touching the speaker.

9. Ejay

Ejay Supporting Member

Although that doesnt match the description...indeed the first thing to check...easy mistake when you rewire the speakers.

How to check:
    Take a 9v battery, put the poles to tip and ring of a speaker cable into your cab.
    Check by eye of the speakers move the same direction when you connect / release the battery.
    If the move oposite direction, change polarity of one of the speakers.

alberob likes this.
  10. gulliver

Should have used these ...

[​IMG]

11. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Maybe put some batting glued to the inside of the handles to stop the reflection?

12. cram

cram Member

I'd have doubts on those holes causing the drastic change you're noticing as others have said. Get into a controlled env where you can work on it.

It's open back and significant doubt on another hole(s) on the side causing such a drop. Out of phase is a common prob, but you've said nothing about touching the wiring.

Had you brought that cab to the location you played before?

frankencat and Drew W like this.
  13. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

With the promise of a harsh and metallic sound, who wouldn’t jump at the opportunity?! ;)

Hope you figure out the cause soon.

14. Alton

Alton Member

First thing I would do is remove the rear panel and double check the wiring of the speakers. If all appears good, double-check the ohms and make certain amp output is set to match. Plug it all up, turn the volume down and start to play. Then listen very carefully to cab and speakers and SLOWLY increase volume until you hear icky sound and then try to locate a physical source for that sound.

Gasp100 and zwiefldraader like this.
  15. Drew W

Drew W Supporting Member

Thanks. Good advice

16. gulliver

The sides of a cabinet do resonate, I'm guessing it's this change that is making it sound different. For the fun of it, you could take them off and play with the holes in it just to see how it reacts.

If the handles are metal, you might also try some plastic ones of the same size.

Laurence likes this.
  17. GuitarInnovations

GuitarInnovations Member

If the handles had to have holes cut in the sides of the cab, it certainly could ruin the tuning of the cab.

18. No_Stairway

No_Stairway Supporting Member

You're joking but why rule that out? Could be too close speaker magnet, picking up weird interference / radio waves, nipped a hidden wire.. when it comes to electrical I rule nothing out, I also contract electrical work out I can't stand chasing wires, I literally live between 2 journeyman electricians so I can't complain.

KR-100 likes this.
  19. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

My Marshall 6101 30th Anniversary is a 1X12 combo. It came from the factory with handles just like the 4X12's have, built into the side of the amp. They don't affect the the tone at all.

It sounds like something else is amiss there. Most likely a very easy fix as well.

The one below is not mine but, shows the handle.

[​IMG]

NamaEnsou, teofilrocks and Arcadia like this.
  20. Drew W

Drew W Supporting Member

Ah! good point!

Nickstrtcstr likes this.