1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

I've sent back three Gibsons in a row now for horrendous tuning issues

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by james..., Dec 20, 2017.

1. Johnny Rockit

Johnny Rockit Gold Supporting Member

I have had tuning issues on different brands over the years as well as on my Gibsons. It makes sense that any manufacturer cannot get everything perfect for sure but other than a major issue with a guitar tuning issues are most likely a string issue. I have seen the good old wrap around and under method work well for over 50 years on my guitars. So much that every new guitar I get is immediately re strung A. for tuning issues and B. to get everyone else's DNA off it. Nut sauce is great, stretching your strings in is a must, then address the nut if needed.

2. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Member

I would have told GC to get the nut cleaned up and taken the guitar... it's on them at that point... they would probably do it happily

3. DiPa

DiPa Silver Supporting Member

Yeah and GC now carries Guitar Techs for this sort of stuff

4. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

When at least three repair guys from reputable shops can’t make the damn thing work, and the one guy who says, “Pull the POS and put in a bone nut” solves the problem, then the devil’s advocate needs to find another job.

5. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Same experience here, for 30+ years.

How are you winding the strings?

6. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I have only experienced tuning issues from the Nashville-built Gibsons.
    I just bought a CME historic '63 block 335, but due to the string gauge I am forced to use, it's headed out for a new nut and plek before I can use it.

As for internal workmanship, when I played arch top jazz guitars, I was more critical.
    Also my Kalmazoo Gibson's were immaculate internally.
    However, this guitar sounds great, sustains all day, and the neck is terrific feeling.
    All I hope for is that when the guitar is hooked up to the plek machine, that they don't find the neck to be twisted.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  7. james...

james... Member

I see a lot of replies in here saying: OP's problem is common in most guitars.

Tell me then, why is it that I've bought at least 4 dozen guitars over the years that keep pretty good tuning right out of the box, but these are an absolute disaster?

8. endoscopereviews

endoscopereviews Member

aren't Gibson trash now? like, this is their Fender late-70s/80s era. heard nothing but bad things about them recently.

9. wahfreak

wahfreak Silver Supporting Member

You need to describe exactly what "disaster/horrendous" is. We keep throwing words out there but nothing that we are able to quantify. Got a video?

Tell us exactly how you what you did after recieving the guitar(s). Change strings, with what strings, how did wrap them around on the pegs, stretch the strings, did you perform any sort of set up on your own....how far out of tune are they, only the G string, all of them?

I'm not saying you're wrong just too many unanswered questions.

10. Fuzzr

Fuzzr Supporting Member

I just finished taking my third Toyota back to the dealer. The seat was either too close to the steering wheel or way too far away. I guess I’ll see what Nissan has to offer.

CowTipton, FiestaRed, ixnay and 3 others like this.
  11. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

Wouldn't it actually be more like the steering doesn't work right and the engine needs a tuneup?

Fuzzr likes this.
  12. RockDC

RockDC Member

I got an ES 355 with bigsby from CME brand new... G string wouldn't stay in tune. I have nut files. Decided to run the .016 through it since my g string is a .017. The file wouldn't fit. I recut the g string slot and have no issues now... I'm pretty ticked that the nut was cut incorrectly but I'm glad it was an easy fix.

13. TA22GT

TA22GT Member

I think that with any new guitar straight out of the box you do need to give it a little time to settle.

Personally I always change to my strings and set it up how I like it but before I do that I play it with the original strings on and get a feel for the guitar before I fit new strings. Kinda like, is neck relief right, is the action the right height, do the strings ping in the nut or at the bridge etc.

By getting that feel for the guitar I can correct any faults to the way I like it without making it second hand.
    To me it's all just part of the new guitar experience.

14. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

No. Not at all. It's more like one of the tires needs a little air. Gibson is using the PlEK to cut the nut slots. They should be the right size for 9's or 10's, but it leaves behind some feathery edges, so if you gently take some very fine sandpaper and floss that stuff out, you have no more issues. It takes literally 5 minutes. It takes no particular skill or experience.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    johnkoz likes this.
  15. Jim Soloway

Really? A guitar that won't tune properly without filing the nut is not a functional instrument and filing a nut is not like adjusting a seat. Adjusting a seat is changing a user adjustable setting. Filing a nut is a repair.

renato-rt, Daren Anderson and jm9239 like this.
  16. Seth L

Reread my post. No files necessary.

hotrats73 likes this.
  17. Jim Soloway

I have to reread your post. The rest of your comment wasn't there when I typed my response.

I wonder if Gibson should just include those instructions with the guitar. "Some sanding of nut slots required for proper operation. Sand paper not included".

renato-rt and Daren Anderson like this.
  18. Seth L

That's why I'm posting it here. Maybe some people can accomplish that and keep their guitars instead of sending them back. Guitars always need fine tuning and maintenance. It comes with the territory. I hesitate to call what needs done sanding because you won't even make any dust.

As far as "Some sanding of nut slots required for proper operation. Sand paper not included", they should also add "Do not eat".:)

stonem, Scary Uncle G. and Coldacre like this.
  19. Jim Soloway

If it's really that easy then I have to ask why Gibson doesn't do it at the factory before they put on the first set of strings. It seems like they'd avoid a lot of unhappy customers if they did.

Daren Anderson likes this.
  20. Seth L

I suppose they figure the people who sell them will do that at some point if the owner doesn't do it. I've got 4 SGs, all bought brand new and that is the one and only thing I had to do to them. They are incredible and inspiring.

BADHAK likes this.